#1 Derek

Derek

That Horny Z Guy

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1014 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida USA

Posted 25 August 2010 - 01:54 PM

Well I've been wanting to set up a vacuum forming rig for a while now and figured making some kick panels would be a good way to get started.

First thing I did was model up a stock kick panel and a 5 1/4" speaker. I cut a test blank of the kick panel to check the fit and then basically took an educated guess at the speaker placement.

Posted Image

Then I modeled in a pod. I have a full carpet set in my car and the green section at the bottom will come out and cover the inner rocker, Kind of like an extension of the black trim plate. I made it bigger then I wanted and I'll trim it to size. The panel is designed to contact at the front and back and the rectangular depression towards the top. This will allow a 1/8" air gap behind it to act as a wire chase.

I made everything bolt together so I could easily modify it plus the pod and rocker piece are symmetrical so I can use them on both sides.

Posted Image

Here's some shots of the pattern -plug - buck whatever the hell you call it when you vacuum form.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm making the parts out of 1/8" textured ABS plastic. I have no idea if this is going to work or not but it's an awful lot of fun!

I should have the vacuum form stuff finished tomorrow and hopefully the first pull will be Friday.

Cross your fingers.

Derek

EDIS Mounting kits are BACK IN stock!!!
http://datsunworks.com/page3/page4/

#2 sweetleaf

sweetleaf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 25 August 2010 - 02:49 PM

Very cool, and good luck with the first pull. It's always fun playing with new processes. I think it'll come out great, like everything else you've built.
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.
---Ernest Hemingway

#3 Chartoo

Chartoo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationPerth, Western Australia

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:46 AM

Are you gonna make multiple copies? Id be interested in buying a pair if they were the right price. Nice work by the way.

#4 Derek

Derek

That Horny Z Guy

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1014 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:13 AM

Thanks guys
Yes if this works out I'll be producing a few extra for sale.

Derek

#5 Daphur280

Daphur280

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationSalem OR

Posted 26 August 2010 - 04:46 PM

count me in too for a buy
'73 240z L28ET BMF-FMIC, z31 ECU/MAF/WIRING + t3/t04e Swap in progress

#6 shika805

shika805

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationSanta Barbara, CA

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:17 PM

man i wish i had equipment like this so i can fabricate stuff! nice work man
1971 240Z restoration complete!... 91 RX7 Convertible daily driven
Posted Image

#7 mutantZ

mutantZ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 26 August 2010 - 10:42 PM

Count me in for a pair as well

#8 RS Speed

RS Speed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 27 August 2010 - 09:56 AM

Ill take a pair!

GTR 240Z Build thread - AWD, RB26, TWINS and some fabrication   :D

Link to original 2009 rb25 build thread
http://forums.hybrid...ad.php?t=146543

#9 Derek

Derek

That Horny Z Guy

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1014 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 11:03 AM

We Have Liftoff!!!

Here is the maiden run. You can see the plastic starting to droop.

Posted Image

And after the suck job.

Posted Image

I'm totally happy how the first pull came out. The plastic was too cold and I needed a clamp on the front of the frame to keep the vacuum sealed but that's minor stuff.

This is after I did a hack job on the band saw. I wasn't too concerened with pretty cuts as I was just interested in the basic fit. When I cut the production pieces I'll use my CNC router so I'll have more control.

Posted Image

And now for the moment I've been waiting about a year for!

Posted Image

Now for some observations.
Man my car looks shitty from this angle

The pod is too low. It clears the clutch pedal no problem but it's crowding the dead pedal too much. I tried to keep it as low as I could for fidelity reasons but I drive more than I listen so up it goes.

I need to totally rework the carpet cover. I have the right radius but it comes out at the wrong angle. I also need to reshape the area where the yellow china marker is so it will follow the rocker. I'm also going to extend it rearward so it meets the metal trim.

I have to redo the base plate. The step downs on the front and rear are too narrow. By the time I cut back the radius I had no flat left. That's why there is a gap in the front.

At least the pod is right!
All in all I accomplished everything I was hoping for and I think I established a good enough base line for the next one.

Derek

#10 datsun723

datsun723

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts
  • LocationTemecula, Ca

Posted 27 August 2010 - 11:08 AM

I'm definitely down for a pair. Would these ONLY come in 5 1/4 size or would variations be offered?

The reason I ask is I have some 6" speakers laying around with no where to go :lol:

But honestly...these look awesome and I praise you for doing this!

#11 Derek

Derek

That Horny Z Guy

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1014 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 11:47 AM

Round Two

Re-cut the pattern today and did another pull. Got the plastic hotter and got much better results. I also cut out the profile with my CNC router as opposed to the broad axe I used last time.

Posted Image

It fits really good but of coarse I didn't extend the carpet cover far enough.

Here is a shot with my size 10 steel toe on the dead pedal
Posted Image

Not a ton of room but I'll get used to it.

Posted Image

I'm going to run this back and see how it works under the trim panel. I also need to do a better job on the transition so it follows the weather strip welt.

This is as far as it's going to get for a week as I just got a rush job on a pattern. I'll drive this around and see how it works in use.

I'm not planning on doing a pod for the 6" right now and probably never. It's tight with the 5 1/4" so 6" would be really tough.

A question for the people interested in these. Does the carpet cover appeal to you or would you prefer it matches the stock fiberboard kick panel.

Thanks
Derek

#12 nullbound

nullbound

Rhymenocerous

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • LocationRoswell, GA

Posted 28 August 2010 - 07:20 PM

Count me in for a pair. I like the carpet cover a lot and the fact that you're paying close attention to how it lines up with the weatherstripping.

Edited by nullbound, 28 August 2010 - 07:20 PM.

#13 blairjj

blairjj

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationCenterville, OH

Posted 28 August 2010 - 08:38 PM

Hey Derek,

Any chance we could get to take a few pictures of your vacuum forming setup and describe it? I've been thinking of making one for a while and yours looks pretty slick. Is yours from a set of plans or did you just fab something that worked?

How deep of a part do you think you could pull?

Thanks a bunch.

Jay
1972 240z in the garage
1983 280ZXT stripped for parts
After many Z-Less years, it's good to be back!

http://sites.google....ite/orange240z/

#14 cockerstar

cockerstar

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1132 posts
  • LocationTacoma , WA

Posted 29 August 2010 - 12:42 AM

Looks fantastic Derek!
Any idea on a ballpark for the price?
Ryan | '71 240z | L24, flat tops, e31, 4-screw su's, 6-2-1 header, Greddy organic clutch, close ratio 5-speed | r200 CLSD waiting to be installed

Just a tip for serious head, check out Braap, an admin, he won't let you down ;)

In nome de padre, et fili, et sancte spirate

"If you cannot convince them, confuse them." --Harry S Truman

#15 Derek

Derek

That Horny Z Guy

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1014 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 05:40 AM

Hey Derek,

Any chance we could get to take a few pictures of your vacuum forming setup and describe it? I've been thinking of making one for a while and yours looks pretty slick. Is yours from a set of plans or did you just fab something that worked?

How deep of a part do you think you could pull?

Thanks a bunch.

Jay

Hi Jay
I got my info from this site Vacuum forming I built it according to this link Table Read up and I'll be happy to answer some questions although I'm still learning.
I'm not sure how deep a draw I could do and it really varies wildly according to plastic type and thickness. I tried to pull a piece of .030" Lexan over a piece as a test and it was a total failure yet I'm pulling .125" ABS over the kick panel with no problem.

Not sure about the pricing yet. After I get everything worked out I'll do a full sheets worth (4 pair) and then come up with a price.

Also a design note.
I drove the car home last night with the panel installed and it still is too close to the dead pedal. I'm going to bring the speaker as far back and up as I can and call it a day. I'm sure I'm sacrificing fidelity but it's still too close. I may have to move the hood release cable up with a bracket as the cable is pretty close to begin with. I'd really like to end development on pull # 3 if I can.

Derek

Edited by Derek, 29 August 2010 - 05:41 AM.

#16 Drax240z

Drax240z

Stuper Modifier

• Super Moderators
  • 3623 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 29 August 2010 - 07:09 AM

Great work Derek, and thanks a lot for posting the R&D steps. I'm almost more interested in seeing how people do things than I am the final product.

I've never been happy with the idea of kick panel speakers, because of the issues you are now faced with. Trying to make them non-intrusive. If you can accomplish this, and still get a 5-1/4 speaker in there, I think you've got a hell of a product on your hands.
2005 BMW M3
2000 BMW 528iT
1985 Chevrolet C20

#17 Dan Juday

Dan Juday

Don

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 29 August 2010 - 12:42 PM

Nice work Derek. That textured abs is fun to work with. It's pretty forgiving for us amateurs.

As far as the carpet cover, I can take it or leave it. It looks good but it seems like a lot of extra work for little benefit. I'd prefer a speaker position as far north as possible to avoid crowding the footwell. The hood release cable does not concern me as my next hood will not use it.

When you get these worked out make a set to replace the rear panels as well that deletes the fuel expansion tank bulge. Those will have room for 6" or larger speakers. When they're ready I'll take a full set.

#18 RTz

RTz

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3011 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 29 August 2010 - 02:10 PM

Nice!
Regards, Ron

HybridZ; Some diligence required.

#19 Tony D

Tony D

Wiki D

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9961 posts
  • LocationReno NV & Lucena Quezon, Philippines

Posted 29 August 2010 - 08:18 PM

Well, now that he's get :lol:ting the hang of the kick panels, the door panels can be next...with some more speakers in there!
Misanthropic Anthroparion Class 5 Hoarder, aspiring to posthumous fame as my containers are cut open and the market floods with crap I've squirrelled away over the years! I endeavour to persevere...

#20 Tyler

Tyler

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationSoutern California

Posted 30 August 2010 - 09:59 AM

I would also be in for a pair as well! I currently have speakers in the door panels and I do not like them one bit. I always graze the cover with my foot on the way out and am constantly knocking it off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users