HybridZ

New Floor Pans and Frame Rails

Hey guys, thought I would share some pics of my new new floor pans and chassis rails, me about 10 full days and was a lot of work :-)

These are the new floor pans installed, bought this cool tool that punches a hole in the sheet metal, so I was able to clamp the seperate pieces together and plug welded it all together - my Mig has a timer on it, which made lie easier!!!

04012009474640x480.jpg

Then once flipped it over knocked the new floor pans into shape and tacked it all on the reverse side!

08012009494640x480.jpg

08012009498640x480-1.jpg

Flipped over!

11012009524640x480.jpg

11012009525640x480.jpg

11012009535640x480.jpg

11012009529640x480.jpg

I still have not decided if I am going to keep the original TC brackets so this area has not yet been fully welded - still trying to figure out what do here!

06012009492640x480.jpg

I made new chassis rails a few months ago but was not happy with them and made them out of 3mm sidewalled 65x65 tube, probably a touch to thick, so have whipped these up instead - should taper out to 710mm and will use 10mm bolts for the sway-bar,

15012009544640x480.jpg

15012009549640x480.jpg

15012009551640x480.jpg

Still haven't worked out what I will do with my crossmember - I am running a 1UZ and the mounts are in the middle of the block, so was thinking of increaseing the engine mount area on the crossmember - this is the theory,

26122008439640x480.jpg

26122008440640x480.jpg

26122008441640x480.jpg

This is so I could make a larger crossmember so I wouldn't have to offset the engine mounts - but still deciding if I will do this with the new ones!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't know when you started that, but you're already further than me!

Dang it I hate this weather.

BTW, you could probably lose those compression arm mounts, and fab something custom up to fit your adjustable compression arms..

Check mine out, pretty simple to mount, no bushing, just bolt the bracket to something strong.

9smg003qi5.jpg

Started on the floor pans and rails just after Christmas :-)

BTW, you could probably lose those compression arm mounts, and fab something custom up to fit your adjustable compression arms..

Check mine out, pretty simple to mount, no bushing, just bolt the bracket to something strong.

Yeah I want to get rid of them, very hard to get in there and weld up all the joins so new moisture will get into my rails, heaps prefer a nice flat surface to mount up the underbody rails!!!

Thats very nice, could just run that bolt top-to-bottom through the chassis rails, very neat!!!

Oh, thought I would mention, the original rails hung down about 10mm from the original floor-pan, the new rails are 65x35x2mm box section, to compensate for the added thickness (35mm vs 10mm) I raised the floors up 25mm (1") to I wouldn't lose ground clearance and so I wouldn't have to put up with a bloody great big bar inside the cabin :-)!!!

Any opinions on the really big mouth for the crossmember mounts on the chassis rails? this a good idea or a bad idea structually?

The reason I want the really big mouth is because I am using a 1UZ, engine mounts are located centrally on the block so wanted to design a crossmember that was much further back in the engine bay, but because the LCA's are in a specific location it also has to be pretty far forward to,

Any opinions on the really big mouth for the crossmember mounts on the chassis rails? this a good idea or a bad idea structually?

The reason I want the really big mouth is because I am using a 1UZ, engine mounts are located centrally on the block so wanted to design a crossmember that was much further back in the engine bay, but because the LCA's are in a specific location it also has to be pretty far forward to,

I would just make a separate x member just for the engine mounts and hack off the engine mounts on the original x member so they don't get in the way. IDK toyota engines well, just realized that you might have clearance issues with the oil pan :P

I would just make a separate x member just for the engine mounts and hack off the engine mounts on the original x member so they don't get in the way. IDK toyota engines well, just realized that you might have clearance issues with the oil pan :-P

Yeah thought about that, but reckon it looks kinda ugly, like a dodgy after-thought :-)!!!

And you right, I pretty much don't have clearance, my sump is bang smack in the way, I need something that resembles a K-Frame, like what is in a Mopar,

Dont think there is many other options open to me for the crossmember, besides welding mounts onto the chassis rails!!!

wow that looks really good! When I worked For a fabrication company building large disaster relief vehicle for the post office we used this stuff called Seek-a-flex. I'm not sure if that is how it is spelled, but its like a caulk but dries as hard as metal. We would use it to seal edges of sheet metal. You might look into it for sealing your frame rails! Awesome job so far!:burnout:

wow that looks really good! When I worked For a fabrication company building large disaster relief vehicle for the post office we used this stuff called Seek-a-flex. I'm not sure if that is how it is spelled, but its like a caulk but dries as hard as metal. We would use it to seal edges of sheet metal. You might look into it for sealing your frame rails! Awesome job so far!:burnout:

Seam sealer does the same thing. I would be wary of things that cures "as hard as metal" to seal seams on a vehicle. The areas around spot welds are going to flex a little. Over time, a stiff sealer won't seal anymore.

I would finish that bead if you don't want to go ahead and use sealer. Just have a bucket full of ice and a couple rags handy. layer a couple rags, then wrap a hand full of ice and keep that in one had as you are welding. after you are done with a pass, wait about 3 or 4 sec and then put the rag on the bead for like 5 sec, to minimize warpage. you'll be surprised on how effective this is. BTW the water will evaporate for before it rusts :P

I have used Sicalfex (I have no idea how its spelled either :-)) but had a pretty ordinary experience with it, maybe I was using it in the wrong areas, the little bit between the drip rails and roof...........but it cracked and cracked pretty quickly!!!

There is other stuff made by Locktite - supposed to be used by Holden (GM) and Ford locally on all their new cars, so I will give that a crack!!!

I would finish that bead if you don't want to go ahead and use sealer. Just have a bucket full of ice and a couple rags handy. layer a couple rags, then wrap a hand full of ice and keep that in one had as you are welding. after you are done with a pass, wait about 3 or 4 sec and then put the rag on the bead for like 5 sec, to minimize warpage. you'll be surprised on how effective this is. BTW the water will evaporate for before it rusts :-P

I don't know if I will finish of the beads - I got a bit of warpage already and I really took my time with this - I tacked the frame rails on one day and then welded them up on another, took me an entire day to run those intermitant beads - but still got some warpage!

Doesn't cooling the beads that quickly make them brittle or does waiting 3-4sec's stop that? I literally learn't to weld 3-4mths ago, so still lots to learn :-)!!!

Doesn't cooling the beads that quickly make them brittle or does waiting 3-4sec's stop that? I literally learn't to weld 3-4mths ago, so still lots to learn :-)!!!

it does make it brittle, but thats when the you cool it while the crystalline structure of the metal isn't set yet. If the bead isn't glowing, then its good to cool. The objective isn't to cool the bead, but to cool affected metal around it. ;)