HybridZ

Why There Are Roll Cage Rules

johnc

I often get asked or whined at regarding the rules behind roll cage design and construction. Why so many tubes? Why require such expensive tubing? Why do I have to build it a certain way? Why can't I just build it the way I think it should be built?

This is why...

100mph+ off the track sideways, at least 5 complete flips, so violent that the entire exhaust system ripped out and wrapped over the hood of the car, and the driver walked away and helped me get his car loaded onto my open trailer. The unibody supported by the cage (firewall, floor pan, and rear bulkhead) are undamaged except for one crease by the driver's side rear brace. Two doors can still open, close, and latch.

gallery_95_470_49971.jpg

gallery_95_470_66215.jpg

gallery_95_470_69616.jpg

gallery_95_470_54584.jpg

gallery_95_470_64383.jpg

gallery_95_470_19283.jpg

Pay attention to the rules, you're not smarter then 50+ years of real world experience.

Wow, that is incredible. Is that a cage you built Jon?

Reminds me of the red 350z a year or two ago that flipped over the tire wall and a fence.

No, the car owner built the cage in his garage. I offered a little bit of advice and did the final SCCA Tech inspection but Bryan gets all the credit for the build and saving his own life.

What's the story behind the accident?

SCCA Regional race at Buttonwillow running counter-clockwise. Bryan was racing in ITR against John Norris in a close race for about 5 laps. Coming out of Star Mazda Bryan had a small lead but John started to gain on him approaching Magic Mountain. Bryan moved left to get a good run at the right hand kink before Magic Mountain and John had caught up to Bryan on the outside. Bryan didn't see how close John was on his left and pushed John two wheels in the dirt, John backed off but his right front tire hit Bryan's car in the left rear door (you can see the tire marks in the first pic). This spun Bryan to the right and he went off sideways. Right side wheels immediately dug into the mud and the car started flipping.

SCCA ruled it a racing incident and Bryan blames only himself. No damage to John's 325. John has found Bryan a replacement shell and Bryan and I started tearing his car down last Sunday to salvage as many parts as possible.

Glad he was okay. What is all over the bars above the drivers seat?

That's the salt and selenium laced mud that is Buttonwillow Raceway. The car ended up on the driver's side. I think all the mud got shoved into the car when it hit the ground on the driver's side on the first flip.

I often get asked or whined at regarding the rules behind roll cage design and construction. Why so many tubes? Why require such expensive tubing? Why do I have to build it a certain way? Why can't I just build it the way I think it should be built?

This is why...

Crash pictures and narrations of what had taken place should be required reading for those who get involved with auto racing of any kind. They are a sober reminder of what can happen and depict better ways to protect the driver. Properly fabricated roll over protection and wearing safety gear should top the list of requirements.

• 1 month later...

They are a sober reminder of what can happen and depict better ways to protect the driver. Properly fabricated roll over protection and wearing safety gear should top the list of requirements.

Here's a very clear cut example. VIR last weekend at the Grand Am race.