HybridZ

Do my eyes decieve me or is this a Datsun based replica?

rturbo 930

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of the very early 250 gto conversion where in fact done on the 250gte saloon. I highly doubt this is a Zed. Z's where not the only car with vertical defroster lines etc. My buddy had a miura that smelled like raw gas every time he shifted. Bear in mind here back then no one cared about fume smells. These where purpose built road racers. My 67 124 spyder had a locking column.....let you guys fill in the blank on that one..!

Edited by yetterben

Some of the very early 250 gto conversion where in fact done on the 250gte saloon. I highly doubt this is a Zed. Z's where not the only car with vertical defroster lines etc. My buddy had a miura that smelled like raw gas every time he shifted. Bear in mind here back then no one cared about fume smells. These where purpose built road racers. My 67 124 spyder had a locking column.....let you guys fill in the blank on that one..!

At 9:17, you can see the interior tail light cover. It looks exactly like that found in a 240Z. Motor sounds like an I6 to me, not a V12. The roof, the shape of the door panels, everything about it looks like a Z to me.

Wonder how much he paid for it. Hopefully not too much.

Edited by rturbo 930

At 9:17, you can see the interior tail light cover. It looks exactly like that found in a 240Z. Motor sounds like an I6 to me, not a V12. The roof, the shape of the door panels, everything about it looks like a Z to me.

Wonder how much he paid for it. Hopefully not too much.

I was thinking that it sounded very I6-like too :lol:

Definitive answer - It's an S30. See photos below:

From video:

250or240.jpg?t=1275591847

Note the 2 vents and how tall but short (horizontally) the fender is. Compare to this:

ferrari_3.jpg

Above is an Alpha-1 kit on a 280Z. Compare to the following:

Ferrari-250-GTO-side-lr.jpg

This is a genuine Ferrari 250GTO. Note how different the fender is to the other cars.

When in doubt, the easiest way to differentiate a Ferrari from a Datsun kit is the front fender. It would take A LOT of work to section the Z or extend the front.

Edited by e_racer1999

Just incase there was any doubt

datsun5.jpg

datsun3.jpg

datsun2.jpg

(I think the window frame and roof line is a dead giveaway too)

datsun4.jpg

I'm hoping the host of that show knew the difference and just didn't want to crush the owner's pride in telling him.

Edited by Globerunner513

My comments were not charitable:

I call bullshit on the GTO. Unless a 68 Ferrari somehow incorporated a Datsun Z-Car combination light/wiper switch and steering column surround. Or Chapman Strut rear towers, sheetmetal gas strut brace for the hatch, tail light cover, or.... Gawd, impotent poseur.

Anybody else wonder why they kept playing up 'V12' yet never opened the hood to show the Datsun SOCH with Webers? Maybe that's why....

I love the guy "I've seen the Ferarri Stampings on the Engine"---I once saw a similarly painted Datsun Conversion with a machine tooled valve cover with 'Ferrari' on the thing where 'Nissan OHC' used to be...

I still wonder (no I don't) why they didn't show that wonderful V12 and Webers. I guess it sounds like a Six with Webers due to the Dual Exhausts and lack of an H-Pipe, huh?

Edited by Tony D

"Wow there's nothing like the sound of a small-bore V12!"

"I agree!"

"What's the horsepower, like 350?"

"Yeah, like three and change..."

Like heck it is. At least he has good taste in hats & sunglasses :P

Davy