Jump to content
HybridZ

tim.d

Members
  • Content count

    67
  • Donations

    0.00 USD 
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    2
  • Feedback

    0%

tim.d last won the day on June 22 2017

tim.d had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

2 Neutral

About tim.d

  • Rank
    Junior Member

Contact Methods

  • Website URL
    https://www.instagram.com/tdphoto240z/

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Location
    Charlotte, NC

Recent Profile Visitors

2724 profile views
  1. 2014 mustang spindle conversion

    Good for you for perusing this and documenting. Keeping the HybridZ spirit alive! Looking forward to continued progress.
  2. Ford 8.8 IRS swap v2.0

    To be fair, that's not really what happened. There's a guy who makes weld-on Z31T CV adapters, and someone who purchased these made some revisions to the design for better axle clearance and some other minor improvements. This customer shared his improvements with the seller, who basically told him to sod off. This guy had a few extras made when he did his, and sold the extras of his version. Original seller got his panties in a wad. I purchased both sets... maybe i'll do a write up comparison when the version 2 ones get here. (Sorry to get off topic)
  3. Tim's 302Z

    Thanks for the input.. I've been wondering if the thick frame rails would be enough, but after hearing your experience I'm glad I'm planning on additional triangulation. http://s160.photobucket.com/user/psanders240/library/BSR-260Z-IMSA?sort=3&hotlinkfix=1513342061687&page=1 This car, right? Definitely taking inspiration from him on some fronts, but this is a street car..gotta keep myself from going totally overboard with it. Finding some compromise on interior space has been something I've been mulling over for a while - Mostly around the firewall and how to reasonably but effectively connect to the rear of the car without a full cage. Suggestions welcome Here's my photodump of other people's chassis stiffening: https://imgur.com/a/R27sh
  4. Tim's 302Z

    I've also spent some time on the passenger side inner fender, made a new panel where the battery tray was...which i'll probably end up mounting in the back of the car. Will wait until fuel tank is in and see how much room I've got. ANYWAY, did most of the forming over my knee with a bunch of hammer and dolley work. Also stitch welded the first strut tower, and did a bunch of welding on the new frame rails and fender tie ins:
  5. Tim's 302Z

    Aw shucks, thanks fellas! Since I left off with the TC buckets, here's where they've progressed to:
  6. 2jzge turbo later

    Do you want torque or boost? I was at the same crossroads when I was picking an engine for my car - I had a 1JZ supra and driven plenty of 2J's... with turbos ranging from GT35 400hp cars, to 76mm 700hp cars. Boost is fun, but its really a highway pull type experience. I decided I wanted N/A V8 torque for the Z, since it was lighter and wanted more of a "point and squirt" backroads bomber. Both are good choices, but I think you need to decide about how you want the car to drive, as the two engines will give two different experiences.
  7. Tim's 302Z

    Oh, and TC buckets went back in. They'll be tied into the frame rails longitudinally later on.
  8. Tim's 302Z

    Making the upper radiator support removable. I HATE the wiggle of getting an engine and transmission out of an engine bay. Should have used some wider metal so I wouln't have to worry about the gap at the front but I'll address that later. Trimmed and ground tabs, it's reasonably flush now.
  9. Tim's 302Z

    Then I made a new radiator lower support bracket to accommodate the larger Howe radiator I'll be using, and strengthen the area for the next step...
  10. Tim's 302Z

    I drilled two sets of cross member and sway bar mounts, the second set 1" further forward from stock... Should I ever decide to push for high caster angles - not exactly sure why i'd do that, I think I read it on blueovalz's build and said to myself "well gee Tim, since you're here... drill the extra holes." All the various pieces started going back together.
  11. Tim's 302Z

    At which point I realized I fucked up and cut the main length too short, the riser to the engine bay rails would protrude 1.5 inches into the cabin, hitting the throttle pedal. So, had to extend it out. Added in the extension at a point on the length where I thought it would see the least stress - around the seat mounts which I was planning on redoing out of tube too.
  12. Tim's 302Z

    And then I went AH **** IT at which point the car went from "get back driving and not immediately die" to "time to get not shitty at fabrication and build a car to a level you haven't done before." I've done a dozen engine swaps, rewires, fuel systems... but never this much metal work. Made a jig to locate TC buckets and made the main floor rails out of 2x3 .125 IIRC. Lots of time spent getting things level in an unlevel garage, measuring, making sure things are as square as possible. Lots of mocking up, looking at it for a few weeks, a couple tack welds, adjust...look...think...undo...redo..think...drink beer... From the time I started cutting the rotten frame rails out to the time they were fully welded in was a bit over a year.
  13. Tim's 302Z

    Floor boards before I wised up and cut everything out. Even bought Bad Dog frame rail reinforcements...
  14. Tim's 302Z

    At first, began tearing it down. Thought I could redo the floors, and patch the necessary areas of rust in the engine bay and frame rails. Eh... not so much.
×