HybridZ

260z/302

racer88

Hi Everyone

I know our cars are sports cars and as such we should not worry about such mundane thing as fuel economy, but I am curious if any of you that have done a small block ford swap have any thoughs as to fuel economy before and after your swap. Was it better or worse? I have been looking at taking my mildly modified L28 to the next level or swaping to a 289 or 302. Fuel economy is not my main concern but is a consideration as well as many other factors. I have a fairly stock injected 302 from a mustang that would be a great transplant.

Bob

I drove a stock 260Z for seven years. It had the four speed transmission and 3.70 rear gear ratio. I think that I only got 14-15 miles per gallon. After I graduated in college in 1998, I built a 260Z with a 5.0L and T5 transmission and same 3.70 rear gear. I drove it as a street car for about five years and would get about 20-25 mpg on the highway (when I could keep my foot off of the floor).

The key to making a drivable V8 datsun is installing an overdrive transmission. Without an overdrive the RPMs at highway speed are too high. For example, with a 245/45/16 rear tire 24.5" tall, a 3.545 rear and no overdrive, your RPMS will be 3400 at 70 mph. With the T5 transmission, 5th gear is 0.67 to 1 and your rpms with the same tire and same rear gear will be 2280 rpm at 70 mph. Which set-up do you think will get better gas milage, be more fun to drive on the highway, and have less wear on the engine.

My current set-up has a 3.36 rear gear, but I have gone to a shorter tire (23.0 tall 275/35-15). I have also upgraded to a GForce T5 which has better gear ratios for 1st and second gear. The overdrive in the Gforce T5 is a ridiculous 0.59 to 1. Even with my short tire 70 mph is 2100 rpms in fifth gear.

Edited by 74_5.0L_Z

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone

I know our cars are sports cars and as such we should not worry about such mundane thing as fuel economy, but I am curious if any of you that have done a small block ford swap have any thoughs as to fuel economy before and after your swap. Was it better or worse? I have been looking at taking my mildly modified L28 to the next level or swaping to a 289 or 302. Fuel economy is not my main concern but is a consideration as well as many other factors. I have a fairly stock injected 302 from a mustang that would be a great transplant.

Bob