HybridZ

SR20DET 72 240z build

Wow..what an incredible and beautiful build!! I am in awe.Yasin

thanks!

Wow, nice progress!

thanks.

I hope we can get the car fired up soon. If we do, I'll try to remember to get some video footage of the first start and dyno tune..

Like someone else said, you seem to know what you are doing, but that oil feed on the turbo should be within 15 degrees of vertical in order to drain properly.

BLOZ- thanks

the return is vertical going straight to the oil pan. the feed is there but not hooked up until we get the heat shield in.. I'll have finish pic after we fab the shield

and I def do NOT know what I'm doing. I just buy the parts and drive it.. hahaha my brother (and his shop) is the mechanic and man behind the curtains

I'm an idiot. Didn't even bother to check for the drain and assumed that COOLANT line was the oil feed. Disregard my nonsense.

To help make this post somewhat useful, where'd you get that nifty oil drain to AN line adapter?

Edited by BLOZ UP

I'm an idiot. Didn't even bother to check for the drain and assumed that COOLANT line was the oil feed. Disregard my nonsense.

To help make this post somewhat useful, where'd you get that nifty oil drain to AN line adapter?

The fittings and lines were either purchased from Royal Brass (local shop that we get all of our steel braided lines from) or Summit Racing. Ordered them with ease so I'm sure they aren't hard to find.

Also, if you look at the picture again.. the brass fitting up top is the coolant feed.. the one in the middle that you see is the oil feed and on bottom is the oil return straight to the oil pan. on the other side (not shown) is the coolant return..

The lines were all hooked up today but now I'm VERY concerned about heating the lines.. the coolant return passes through the cylinder 1 & 2 runner. We purchased some heat shield wrap good for 2000deg radiant heat. I found a company that sells "Lava Mat" which I'm going to use to cover the heat shield with that will shield the brake master cylinder. It says it can shield 1200 deg and up to 2000deg for a limited time.

I'll upload pics later of what the lines look like. But for now here is that "Lava Mat" and line shield I'm talking about

http://www.heatshieldproducts.com/productdetail/heat-shields-and-thermal-barriers/lava-mat/79/21

http://www.amazon.com/010405-Aluminized-Sleeving-Velcro-Shroud/dp/B000E267JC/ref=sr_1_89?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1307083112&sr=1-89

and please don't bash me for finding that on Amazon.com.. LOL.. but no tax and free shipping is always a WIN!

So these are the lines that were hooked up. I'm really concerned with heat but we'll have to see what happens.

This gives you a better idea of whats going on.

IMG00193-20110602-1649.jpg

No NOS here.. haha.. just splitting the coolant feed and return lines to/from the WG's

IMG00194-20110602-1649.jpg

And from under the car.. you can get a better idea if what I'm working with. The downpipe is going to fit through the gap. I need to wrap and shield the lines before I put the downpipe back in

IMG00195-20110602-1756.jpg

IMG00196-20110602-1756.jpg

And old news but I don't think I've ever shared this yet. The first picture is the baffled oil pan I'm using.

IMG00363-20101114-2035-1.jpg

But you see where we had to modify the custom pan. We "boxed" or notched the front crossmember to fit the stock oil pan when the motor was first installed but I wanted a baffled pan and all others didn't fit. This way I was able to make it work.

Also, not sure if you noticed the "skid plate" that was welded on to the crossmember. That way if I ever bottomed out it would cost me a crossmember and not an oil pan possibly a new motor.

IMG00197-20110602-1758.jpg

This seems like a relatively unlimited budget build. I want to do something like this one day...Great work on everything

Believe it or not I'm a middle class person and I give my mom my whole pay check to help support the family. Everything I get for the car is all form side jobs and great finds online. Lucky for me my bro owns a shop so I don't pay for labor and I get parts almost at cost. If I were rich the car would have been a lot crazier.. But thanks for the props!

All I'm waiting for now is the valve cover gasket and spark plug well gaskets. Then I just need to run one more coolant line to the turbo and hook up the wideband.. It's getting very close. I hope to get a start up video at the least in the near future.. I'll keep you posted!

So I was able to find some time and get the heat wrap on the lines that might have potential heating issues.. here is what it looks like compared to a line that isn't wrapped. We also used steel clamps to hold it down.

IMG00218-20110609-1638.jpg

and the heat shield was a no go after all. we tried to mock up a bunch of different ways and in the end it just wasn't going to work. I already had the turbo blanket so now I think I'll just wrap the BMC. It's triple protection anyway. Ceramic coating up to 1600 deg, turbo blanket and the heat wrap which is good to 2000 deg on the BMC. I hope I'll be good.

IMG00219-20110609-1803.jpg

Please voice your opinions and concerns. At this point I'm pretty much stuck but still like to hear CONSTRUCTIVE feedback.

I would think your BMC would be good. I have a DEI blanket on my turbo, you can touch it after running the car and still have your fingertips intact.

just curious.. what turbo are you running and on what setup. Only reason I'm asking is because I want to know what you're working with. But your news makes me feel a bit better. I was pretty bummed when the heat shield didn't work out.. Maybe get louvered inspection lids to help air out.