HybridZ

SR20DET 72 240z build

Chasebays.com sells a 240sx brake booster delete kit that you could modify to work on the s30 chasis. not sure how you feel about manual brakes, but it is a solution.

Richracing,

I have thought about that and was thinking about going the Wilwood BMC route and changing out my pedals also but I definitely need a brake booster. No way will I be comfortable racing without it. It'll be too much work to stop and the car simply wouldn't be enjoyable. I was wondering if there was a way to somehow keep the booster and get a smaller/shorter but still effective BMC? I was doing some research but felt like I was just looking in the dark. Any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks

Hydraulic booster then? My brother did an SR swap into his Datsun 1200. After driving it for 15 minutes or so, the car would not want to move...due to the proximity of the turbo to his bmc, it heated up the fluid & pressurized the brakes. He did the wrap in conjunction with a Jet-Hot coated manifold & a stainless heat shield & that fixed that issue.

Edited by Matt K

due to the proximity of the turbo to his bmc, it heated up the fluid & pressurized the brakes. He did the wrap in conjunction with a Jet-Hot coated manifold & a stainless heat shield & that fixed that issue.

Matt, that is my concern and from the pictures you can see I've done the same. The manifold was already coated and the exhaust side of the turbo has a blanket. I'll wrap the BMC but you can see the mock up of what I was thinking about. Hopefully it'll work out. LoneStar said with his turbo blanket he was able to touch it even after he drove the car which is a little reassuring. Either way I've tripled up as far as "heat protection". Only way to find out now it have it on the road.

Can you also show me an example of a hydraulic booster? How is that different from the booster I am currently running? The BMC is a 15/16 from a 280zx and I'm not 100% sure about the booster. Again, I'm far from a mechanic and know more about "speeds and feeds" than the technical aspects. Thanks again.

Matt, that is my concern and from the pictures you can see I've done the same. The manifold was already coated and the exhaust side of the turbo has a blanket. I'll wrap the BMC but you can see the mock up of what I was thinking about. Hopefully it'll work out. LoneStar said with his turbo blanket he was able to touch it even after he drove the car which is a little reassuring. Either way I've tripled up as far as "heat protection". Only way to find out now it have it on the road.

Can you also show me an example of a hydraulic booster? How is that different from the booster I am currently running? The BMC is a 15/16 from a 280zx and I'm not 100% sure about the booster. Again, I'm far from a mechanic and know more about "speeds and feeds" than the technical aspects. Thanks again.

Something along the lines of this

http://www.performanceonline.com/HYDRO-POWER-BRAKE-BOOSTER-KIT-HB0000494

Requires the use of a power steering pump though...

Edited by Matt K

Something along the lines of this

http://www.performanceonline.com/HYDRO-POWER-BRAKE-BOOSTER-KIT-HB0000494

Requires the use of a power steering pump though...

Sadly I don't have power anything.. but this sparks a thought.. what IF (is this possible) I hook up my p/s pump and run that straight to the hydraulic brake booster? and the sole purpose of the p/s pump is just for the brakes? It's going to be tricky though because the manifold and everything else is on the exhaust side. Not sure how much more room I'll have.. but do you think something like that would even work??

I asked my brother (he's my mechanic) and he said this was beyond him.. (using my p/s pump solely for the purpose of powering the hydraulic booster)

Thanks again. this is very interesting... something to think about tonight

Sadly I don't have power anything.. but this sparks a thought.. what IF (is this possible) I hook up my p/s pump and run that straight to the hydraulic brake booster? and the sole purpose of the p/s pump is just for the brakes? It's going to be tricky though because the manifold and everything else is on the exhaust side. Not sure how much more room I'll have.. but do you think something like that would even work??

I asked my brother (he's my mechanic) and he said this was beyond him.. (using my p/s pump solely for the purpose of powering the hydraulic booster)

Thanks again. this is very interesting... something to think about tonight

The SR PS pump mounts pretty low, it could be done...this is one possibility...you could do a Tilton remote setup too, which is what my brother is going to do with his 1200.

http://www.tiltonracing.com/content.php?page=list2&id=1&m=b

We got to crank the car today! I'm excited.. I hope we'll have the car fired up by tomorrow.

Got to the shop today and shielded the other lines that were close to the manifold. Topped off all the oil (engine, tranny, diff). Put the valve cover on. Added brake fluid and bled the brakes. we primed the turbo to get oil in there so we wouldn't run it dry.

Hope I get the coolant hose that I need tomorrow. Get some gas for the Z and top off the coolant. I'll need to buy a different breather tank instead of the janky cheap-o one I had before.

I think I'm going to get this. With the -10an fitting

http://www.s2carbonworks.com/raalvacobrta.html

I'll plug the side breather and the one near the intake manifold and weld two new bungs and run some steel braided lines. The old rubber lines I had piratically melted over years of heat from the tiny turbo. I don't even want to worry about that this time around.

Here is a pic my buddy Glenn (Spitz) took for me when he visited.

2011-6-17.jpg

and here's a VERY SHORT video of us priming the turbo. This is the first time I've heard this motor make ANY kind of noise at all. I'm so excited for tomorrow!

Turbo Priming

Edited by itzgoten

So I finally fired up the Z for the first time today! I'm so excited to tune on Tuesday. I'm hoping for no less thant 400whp but I know the rings have to seal before I make my final numbers. I'll probably make about 350ish HP until everything is broken in and then I'll retune and try to extract the rest of the ponies.

My camera phone SUCKS and my "video editing" skills are even WORSE. Don't judge me! hahaha

We shot the first part and my brother yelled out "turn it off" and we saw the oil leaking from the oil return line off the turbo. We tighened it and fired it back up. Sounds great but there is a bunch of ticking still because the hydrulic lifters. They were sitting for a few months waiting for everything to come together. I'll let the motor run some more tomorrow and that should help get oil in the lifters.

And at the end we noticed a vaccumme line that wasn't plugged to the BOV. My prother plugged it with his thumb and the car died. I kept recording just to see how smoothly the gt35r turbo spools.. I love it!

The Z finally looks like a car again. We let the motor run some more and I tried to finish putting all the body pieces back on. Going to spend some time after work tomorrow to finishing up the interior. Vinyl for the transmission tunnel, passenger side bucket seat, hook up the wideband gauge and a few other little things here and there. Also need to remember to order the breather tank and some more heat wrap.

Here's are pics.

My brother is making me a new throttle cable bracket

IMG00230-20110618-1152.jpg

Driver and passenger side fenders on

IMG00238-20110619-1301.jpg

headlights and buckets

IMG00240-20110619-1422.jpg

front grill, air dam and fender mirrors on

IMG00244-20110619-1740.jpg

and the final shot of the engine bay. I'm still going to have different intake piping made.

I think everything turned out pretty sweet. I never really saw the bigger picture. Just knew what I wanted piece by piece. I'm glad we're almost finished.

IMG00243-20110619-1558.jpg

Dyno tune on Tuesday! I hope to make decent numbers.

Edited by itzgoten

So I got pushed back to Friday because some other cars needed to get finished first. My car gets last priority because I don't pay for shop time.

There was no way in hell the breather tank was going to run the way I wanted with the stock locations. Even though I hate to ruin my valve cover it had to be done. My brother made an "executive decision" and had new bungs welded to the valve cover. This is going to work out for the best.

The bungs were put where the cam gears are. It's perfectly flush on the inside so it won't affect anything else.

IMG00246-20110621-2154.jpg

The old breather holes were welded shut.

IMG00248-20110621-2154.jpg

IMG00247-20110621-2154.jpg

I'll just take the time to have the valve cover powder coated again.. Maybe a new color next time?

The breather box I ended up getting will sit in the battery tray.. I'm moving my battery inside the cockpit. I found a super sweet lithium battery for a motorcycle which has MORE cold cranking amps and outputs more than enough power. Best part? It only weighs like 4.3 lbs.. I'm going to have it mounted on the other side of the firewall in the cockpit and have terminals in the engine bay in case I need a jump start. Wouldn't want to run jumper cables inside my car.. :)

the breather tank.

1.jpg

I am not a fan of stack welds. Might want to grind that down and cut a piece of plate and weld that proper.

Damn I might have to make a run to San Jose when I do my swap so we can be best friends :)

Lovin the motor keep it up!

PICS PICS PICS PICS

Man.. My dyno day got pushed back so I'm just waiting at this point. The breather box came in and it looks decent. I'll have pictures of where it's at and hopefully my tuner will get better and be able to tune me next week.

I'm not too worried about the welds on the box since it's only going to have small spurts of air and oil (if any). I ran my other oil catch can for 2 years and barely had 2 or 3 ounces of oil in there.

I bought some firewall battery terminals and I'm going to find a battery box for the new battery and mount this things where the passenger foot rest is. The battery is Lithium IRON (not ion) and is not combustible or contains acid.

I'll try and get some pics today or tomorrow if possible.

I am not a fan of stack welds. Might want to grind that down and cut a piece of plate and weld that proper.

Damn I might have to make a run to San Jose when I do my swap so we can be best friends :)

Lovin the motor keep it up!

PICS PICS PICS PICS

bertio, If MSA throws a decent event we can meet in SoCal next year when they have the event. I just love the West Coast Nationals format compared to there "Z Reunion" format. I don't think driving from all the way from the bay area and parking 4 blocks away from the event would justify as "being apart of the car show".

If you have friends of family up here and come visit let me know ahead of time. There's some nice roads to drive on if you're interested.