HybridZ

RB20DET into my 240Z

70 Cam Guy

Here's another shot of the intake manifold showing the harness and throttle cable. We used the 44" Lokar cable kit

5827846460_237e08d0d3_b.jpg

I believe these were existing holes in the firewall

5827296859_33ccbb00f6_b.jpg

Basic bracket on the manifold

5827297617_7073559749_b.jpg

Catch can is ready to go

5827846902_c37f321a1e_b.jpg

5831173017_b827a32b74_b.jpg

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow you have a good memory! The car looked a little different then too. Were you one of the other Z guys? I remember a silver one with 350Z wheels and his friend, and then a green one I think. And you're right lol, the car was without engine and that weekend I was under my truck with the torch :lol:

Here we were parked at JCCS last year. The silver Z is another local friend. He's got the full T3 suspension on his Z. He got t-boned on the front fender so he's been saving and massing parts to get it back on the road again.

More to come this weekend. I need to get the photos off the camera again.

Yeah I was there with my red 240Z. I parked over closer to the lawn and tables, cant seem to find a pic from the event but its posted somewhere haha.

anyway glad to see progress has been good. the setup is looking cleeeeaaaannnn!! getting so close to finishing, then you wont have to watch youtube RB videos anymore haha

Hey guys, sorry for no updates the last couple days. This week I've been juggling more house offers and mounting the tires on the truck tonight.

Cat- Good to see you on HybridZ! I heard it run on Wednesday, I can't wait to be driving it! Unfortunately I had to order another ECU. We are thinking when the previous owners cut the harness, the battery was still connected, and shorted it. I believe it's just running for now on a borrowed ECU from another RB. Only half the injectors were firing on the bad ECU.

The truck is absolutely over the top, I love it. It also seems to be driving straight and no vibrations on the freeway!

5841766424_fb22b3d999_b.jpg

Ok time for a real update.... I'm in escrow!! :blink:

I'm waiting on a new/used ECU from a Japanese ebay seller. It should be here next week sometime so we can take out the ECU from the 25 and see how it REALLY runs. The AFC Neo is installed and the boost gauge now resides where the clock was. The AFC will be mounted on the steering column cover so I can easily see the tach, and the other monitors I chose to show.

It sounds beastly with the straight pipe!

I got a J-pipe from Summit and a Magnaflow tip for the rear of the exhaust. I bought a stack of flanges from Summit a while back so I could run straight pipe or put my muffler back on.

here's the old muffler with stainless tip I welded on and discolored myself with the rose bud.

5831722348_963e22e20b_b.jpg

The exhaust is well tucked so I think I gained some ground clearance! The tip is a Magnaflow polished stainless. It's 18" long and goes 2.5" to 3". The angle cut was advertised at 15 degrees. We went for the JDM angle a little bit

5831721522_3722592c7b_b.jpg

5831172105_485c46e020_b.jpg

5831172325_340461346a_b.jpg

5831172535_932c6308ec_b.jpg

Edited by 70 Cam Guy

We the people of Hybrid Z and of the world would like a video of this beast running for which it stands.....yada,yada,yada ....One nation under God......yada,yada,yada.....with Liberty to boost for all. Amen !!!

We the people of Hybrid Z and of the world would like a video of this beast running for which it stands.....yada,yada,yada ....One nation under God......yada,yada,yada.....with Liberty to boost for all. Amen !!!

:lol: I'll certainly do my best

:cheers:

Quick update, the car is running! We need to figure out a couple things. The ECU I ordered on ebay arrived surprisingly fast from Japan and it was a good ECU.

The one major kink is the engine stalls after revving it up in neutral (not even on boost), or when coming to a stop. We need to figure out if it's wiring or the MAF causing the problem. We discovered something funny when trying to set up the Dec Air feature on the AFC, we weren't seeing any air flow signal. The idle bypass was cleaned to be sure it wasn't plugged. On base boost (10 psi) this thing is big time fun. Add 90-100 horsepower over the L24 at the wheels and it will feel like it hauls ass! Once the idle issue is sorted, I'll probably run 13 pounds and tune AFRs with the AFC

The straight pipe is not nearly as loud as I thought it might be, which is ok with me. There's a tiny bit of lag but boost builds fast with the stock rb25 turbo. I'm getting really anxious to drive, and hear the car again.

Anyway, here's the latest photos. You can see the heat shield for the MAF, and kinda see the heat shield for the brake lines.

5868682780_c41ab8816f_b.jpg

5868123369_7a8ea913b8_b.jpg

5868123639_0f6bba7240_b.jpg

5868123877_6a8851f0d4_b.jpg

5868683782_fda65b2208_b.jpg

5868124347_6537ecf4a5_b.jpg

5868124587_cc5ebbe8a0_b.jpg

5868684468_443cae1fcb_b.jpg

How close do you have the MAF meter from the turbo? If you have it too close your going to have turbulence in the MAF that will cause problems @ Idle

Thanks, it's really not far from the turbo inlet. I think it's basically a coupler between the MAF and turbo because of the space constraints. Is there a recommended distance or rule of thumb for that?

It idles fine when you start it. It just wants to stall as the engine falls back to idle

I think I read around a 12 inches. I had problems with mine and it was around 7-8 inches.

Are you using the stock blow off valve? If you are not you need to recirculate back to the intake. With a non recirculating Bov when you let off the throttle the air that has been measured by the MAF blows out the Bov and then makes it run rich and will stall the engine.

Edited by pat1

Another quality install. Very very clean, I wish mine was as clean as yours.

Thanks Jake, I'm really happy how it's turning out.

I'm already getting people asking me why I didn't go for a 25 or 26 <_<:lol:

It's cool though, it's got plenty of power for me and sounds nasty with that exhaust

I think I read around a 12 inches. I had problems with mine and it was around 7-8 inches.

Are you using the stock blow off valve? If you are not you need to recirculate back to the intake. With a non recirculating Bov when you let off the throttle the air that has been measured by the MAF blows out the Bov and then makes it run rich and will stall the engine.

Whoa quick reply! Thanks I'll have to look into it. I'm pretty sure it's nowhere near 12 inches

I'm running an hks bov venting atmospheric. The Apexi AFC NEO unit has a deceleration air feature ("Dec Air") that lets you compensate for the atmospheric bov. Part of the problem is we haven't been able to set it yet because the unit isn't reading air flow for some reason. It's still a bit of a mystery.

They had an SR with this problem before and it turned out to just be a bad MAF but I know the RB's will stall out with the atmospheric bov. Just have to mess with it some more

Whoa quick reply! Thanks I'll have to look into it. I'm pretty sure it's nowhere near 12 inches

I'm running an hks bov venting atmospheric. The Apexi AFC NEO unit has a deceleration air feature ("Dec Air") that lets you compensate for the atmospheric bov. Part of the problem is we haven't been able to set it yet because the unit isn't reading air flow for some reason. It's still a bit of a mystery.

They had an SR with this problem before and it turned out to just be a bad MAF but I know the RB's will stall out with the atmospheric bov. Just have to mess with it some more

I did read on the supra foruns that apexi was having problems with some neos reading the MAF voltages. Call apexi I believe all it needs is a reflash. I'm using a neo on my 1JZ. I like it alot more than my old safc2.

How do you like that rb20 with the 25 turbo? I had a 25 turbo on mine for a little bit. It was fun.

I really only got to drive it briefly but it seems like a great turbo. On the first drive, the hallman mbc was set high and was boosting at 14psi steady. The ECU just wasn't having that so I backed it off completely to run base boost (10psi). It suddenly came alive. A little sluggish below 3000 rpm but was hitting full boost by around 3500 and really scooted to redline. Once all the little bugs are sorted, I'll turn it back up to 13-14 psi and tune with the wideband. It's an easy upgrade from the stock turbo, you can't beat it for the price. I may eventually call ATP to see what they charge for a rebuild with steel wheels.

Thanks for the tip on the reflash, I'll definitely give them a call next week. I love the monitor features, we're mounting it on the steering column shroud so I can take advantage of that.

I really only got to drive it briefly but it seems like a great turbo. On the first drive, the hallman mbc was set high and was boosting at 14psi steady. The ECU just wasn't having that so I backed it off completely to run base boost (10psi). It suddenly came alive. A little sluggish below 3000 rpm but was hitting full boost by around 3500 and really scooted to redline. Once all the little bugs are sorted, I'll turn it back up to 13-14 psi and tune with the wideband. It's an easy upgrade from the stock turbo, you can't beat it for the price. I may eventually call ATP to see what they charge for a rebuild with steel wheels.

Thanks for the tip on the reflash, I'll definitely give them a call next week. I love the monitor features, we're mounting it on the steering column shroud so I can take advantage of that.

My buddy in San Diego is running a Rb20 in his 280z with a t3/t4 turbo, 750cc injectors, top mount exhaust manifold, and few other things. Last time I talked to him he was pulling 450 at the wheel !

Thanks Jake, I'm really happy how it's turning out.

I'm already getting people asking me why I didn't go for a 25 or 26 <_<:lol:

It's cool though, it's got plenty of power for me and sounds nasty with that exhaust

haha dont worry about what other people think. your swap is cleaaan and im sure you will be happy with your new setup