HybridZ

JTR Mounting Spacer Thickness

I am machining my own JTR design front mounts and setback plates using the info in the Datsun Z V8 swap book. Since I work in a CNC job shop machining aluminum everyday, it seemed like the best thing for me to do. I have found conflicting information as to the thickness of the spacers used. In the book it calls for 1-1/16 and 2-1/16 for the spacers. At the JTR site they specify 1-1/4 and 2-1/4 thick.

Could someone with a storebought mount set measure for me? All the other dimensions for bolt holes etc are spot on and everything bolted up to my 350 shortblock just fine.

A search brought up one post from '04 about a ZX-V8 swap.

Thanks!

Chris

We need to know if you are talking about the engine mount space or the crossmember spacer. There are several guys not using the crossmember space at all.

Sorry for the confusion, Front mounts, consisting of setback plates, spacer plates and GM motor mount. I need the thickness of the spacer plates.

Thanks,

chris

May be you should buy a set.

Then you would (own) the rites and you could rip off as many as you want.

Buy the book instead, the author encourages you to do it yourself. He supplies drawings for all parts required and makes suggestions where to find the material needed. My intent was not to profit from a ripped off a design but to truly diy. I make a lot of my own parts, for me, it's part of the building experience.

chris

Buy the book instead, the author encourages you to do it yourself. He supplies drawings for all parts required and makes suggestions where to find the material needed. My intent was not to profit from a ripped off a design but to truly diy. I make a lot of my own parts, for me, it's part of the building experience.

chris

I did,

If you got the book you'll have the measurments.

leopard_125: I believe he's pointing out a discrepancy between what is published in the book and what is listed on their website. So, before you jump all over him for copyright infringement, it might be a good idea to read his posts.

NCchris: IIRC driver's side should be 2 1/4" and then passenger side should be 1 1/16", but that's from measuring my own mounts, not the JTR manual or website. :/

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I made a goodwill jesture to the herd of spiders that live in my parts car and they allowed me to remove the front crossmember. Here we have a front view with the 1-1/16 spacer on the passenger side and the 2-1/16 on the drivers' side.

post-1509-000802000 1309110195_thumb.jpg

Here are each mounts as I assembled them. This makes the most sense to me.

Passenger side:

post-1509-008606100 1309110282_thumb.jpg

Drivers' dide:

post-1509-085169300 1309110320_thumb.jpg

The mounts might could have been a little thicker but this combination fit without drilling out any holes larger for additional clearance. A level on the top of the block and on the crossmember indicated the block is level with the crossmember.

chris