HybridZ

Base model 280zx

I was wondering how uncommon it is to find 280zx without all the power options. Personally I haven't seen more than 2 in junkyards amid dozens of the "luxury" models.

I'm hopefully buying one one with a complete black interior, runs and drives with no rust on the frame, but a spot on the hatch and on the driver fender, not so bad. Has manual windows and manual steering and no rear windhsield wiper, has a hardtop, but has AC and cruise control. Car was manufatured in 10/79 so it is an 80 model. Another thing interior is complete with no major rips or tears save that it is missing the rear driver interior quarter panel(that covers the antenna).

I'm mostly looking at it because I want to strip it and use it as a track car and it's easier to get these than an early 240z without as much rust.

Edited by BluDestiny

Look at Frank 280ZX's 'White Turd' that was bought out of the SoCal desert, the interior was turning to dust when you touched it anyway, so we stripped it all out put John C's FRP Hood on it, a roll hoop, and went Auto-X'ing at MSA. The performance was surprising especially when we used new shocks with cut 2+2 springs and some 13X7 wheels running gumballs! :blink:

The car, like my 'Blue Turd' 260Z was a real hoot to drive!

Hmm I must have read an internet myth about the the diffs somewhere then.

Pictures of my new ZX

PICT0812.jpg

PICT0811.jpg

PICT0810.jpg

PICT0813.jpg

PICT0816.jpg

PICT0815.jpg

PICT0817.jpg

PICT0822.jpg

some rust

PICT0821.jpg

PICT0823.jpg

This is the driver fender, already replaced it

PICT0819.jpg

Need a new hatch probably, water leaked in and it's rusting from the inside

PICT0818.jpg

Edited by BluDestiny

Welcome to the S130 club :) Don't see too many with the analog clock. I pulled the guts out of a ZX clock and fit it to my 240Z - works great! Slick tops are pretty uncommon as are models with the bare bones hand crank windows, etc. More common in the 79 and 80 models though. Most of the ZX were R200's although there were a few early ones with R180s. IIRC some of the early ZX has a manual rack and pinion. If you are going to do a turbo swap you'll want a rack rather than the ball setup for clearance.

Ok well I'm jealous of your interior. I have a '79 mfd of 02/79. About as plain jane as it gets, manual windows, manual mirrors, manual locks, rack and pinion, had a/c but I got rid of that, analog clock that doesn't work. Oh yeah, it's also a slicktop with a 5 speed and the r200 diff. God I love my car when it runs!!

Fric Frac, I had an s130, it was just a 2+2 gl model. Had a lot of fun in that car, smashed it, now I got this as a new shell. It has manual steering. It also has an r180, just not sure which one, I'm actually taking it out, to put in my r200 3.9 from my 2+2. My ultimate goal is an barred LS swap in this one, although I'm throwing my other motor in, just to get it running

ckolander, I actually already stripped most of the rear interior, Only have the carpet and shock tower panels to get rid of. I do love the dash and door panels though. and the driver side only mirror :2thumbs:

Earlier Cars are your best bet.

Contrary to popular belief, the Base Model ZX's were actually LIGHTER than the 280Z S30's they replaced in the lineup! :blink:

Tony - By how many lbs?

Wonder if there were any actual 280zx turbo slick top models out of factory cuz I've seen a jdm version on the Internet?

All turbo cars I have seen have had T-Tops.

Fric Frac, I had an s130, it was just a 2+2 gl model. Had a lot of fun in that car, smashed it, now I got this as a new shell. It has manual steering. It also has an r180, just not sure which one, I'm actually taking it out, to put in my r200 3.9 from my 2+2. My ultimate goal is an barred LS swap in this one, although I'm throwing my other motor in, just to get it running

ckolander, I actually already stripped most of the rear interior, Only have the carpet and shock tower panels to get rid of. I do love the dash and door panels though. and the driver side only mirror :2thumbs:

prepare to drop the tank about 5" lol I didn't have to undo any lines, just had to take the straps loose and lower the tank with a jack.

gotta do it to pull the diff mounting stud and flip it around since the R180 diff cover is shorter than the R200 diff cover ;)

Ok so the front and rear subframes are out and ready to be cleaned and powdercoated. I'm now trying to source all find someone that has steering rack bushings for a 280zx with manual steering. No one seems to make them and motorsport auto only has rubber bushings for the PS models.

anyway my bushing list:

front control arms

rear control arms

z31 subframe bushings (I'll trim to fit)

New boots for the steering rack,

ABS steering coupler

Also getting Technotoytunning TC rods and Bump steer spacers

Going to be running s13 coilovers, so I don't need the bumpstops.

Anything I missed?