HybridZ

Question about why you chose the car you did for the swap

I'm doing it to a 79 zx, although I'm only int he planning stage. The early z'z are light and here in california you don't need a smog test if it's pre-75. That still makes the swap illegal. I chose the 79 becasue the structure is more solid, it can be made almost as light, and I was planning on getting it BAR legal anyway. Also I just smashed up my 280zx so I wanted a replacement shell.

It’s an amalgamation of many objective and subjective reasons. The S30’s have a more accommodating engine compartment. Fewer systems have to be removed/modified for the swap. A larger “support group†of fellow swappers improves the stream of advice. Subjectively, the S130 is viewed by many as aesthetically less appealing, and as “too softâ€. The core group of Datsun V8 swappers, which even today have extensive influence in the community, began several decades ago, when the S130 was still a fairly new car, and perceived as a symbol of the automotive malaise of the 1980s, whereas the S30 V8 swap was a kind of rosy nostalgia for what the 1970s ought to have produced, but didn’t.

But the best swap is the one where the owner is most familiar with the component systems – chassis and engine. That is more important than choosing the “better†engine or chassis.

The early z'z are light and here in california you don't need a smog test if it's pre-75. That still makes the swap illegal.

Huh? There's some huge logic leap there that doesn't compute.

One reason I can see doing the early Z vice a later Z is that it gives one more options. If one were wanting a v8 swap you have a choice of '70+ Gen I small blocks or the newer LT/LS blocks, as well as a variety of '70+ Ford/Mopar options. The likelihood that one will be stopped for a roadside smog or written a ref ticket are also greatly reduced (But, it does happen!). It's also easier to BAR a swap from a newer platform into an older one (assuming one is buying a dressed swap or an entire donor vehicle). As long as the engine is from the same model year or newer and one retains the required emissions equipment for the new power-train.

Ultimately it boils down to the factors that determine most engine swaps: price, availability, ease of completion/maintenance and aesthetic sensibilities.

I decided to do the v8 swap after I already had the car and had been driving it for awhile. I like the look (and feel) of the early Zs, I wanted to make it faster and it was cheaper than dumping ridiculous amounts of money on modding the L6 (more than it already had been).

kamikaze, The swap is illegal unless it is barred. Hence you get popped with a V8 in a car that is doesn't belong in, you get to visit the ref. I did leave a lot of info out, but it's all here: http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/90059-more-california-smog-info/page__p__854361__hl__%2Bsmog+%2Blaws__fromsearch__1#entry854361

I made that comment under the contention that people that have the "oh it doesn't need to get tested, so I can throw whatever in and no one will care" attitude. It doesn't get tested, but it does need to be compliant.

Edited by BluDestiny