HybridZ

4.6L Ford DOHC modular motor in my 240z

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One more step towards getting the mounts and exhaust welded...These pictures are without complete suspension adjustment and the Differential. I measured, measured and measured and still need to make adjustments. I can't wait.

post-2541-010482600 1351101600_thumb.jpg

post-2541-049470900 1351101607_thumb.jpg

post-2541-068200000 1351101614_thumb.jpg

post-2541-084282900 1351101622_thumb.jpg

post-2541-001441300 1351101643_thumb.jpg

post-2541-065427300 1351101655_thumb.jpg

post-2541-009128100 1351101664_thumb.jpg

Edited by notheredave

I am really curious to see how your exhaust goes. That was a PITA on mine. My engine was offset ~1" to the passenger side, which made the driver's side simple, the passenger side exhaust...not so much. :angry:

PS. I must have been tired in my pun post too.

....aren't they all puns bad puns?
:lol: Edited by yellowoctupus

I am really curious to see how your exhaust goes. That was a PITA on mine. My engine was offset ~1" to the passenger side, which made the driver's side simple, the passenger side exhaust...not so much. :angry:

PS. I must have been tired in my pun post too. :lol:

Yeah...I am taking it one step at a time. I have a friend that is a great welder and he is going to do the mounts, some reinforcement, and mods. I will be going with a fuel cell after all and with the spare tire cut out I will have room for the dual mufflers.

Also I am still having problems fitting the 8 1/2" X 18" rims and the coilover kit. I have 350's (7") up front and 440's (7) in the rears. So I am thinking of going to a 4" spring the same rating or some 8" 225's up front with 10" 200's rear.

Yeah...I am taking it one step at a time. I have a friend that is a great welder and he is going to do the mounts, some reinforcement, and mods. I will be going with a fuel cell after all and with the spare tire cut out I will have room for the dual mufflers.

Also I am still having problems fitting the 8 1/2" X 18" rims and the coilover kit. I have 350's (7") up front and 440's (7) in the rears. So I am thinking of going to a 4" spring the same rating or some 8" 225's up front with 10" 200's rear.

Here are the latest pictures of the height of the car and keeping the tires inside the wheel wells.

post-2541-039744700 1351316275_thumb.jpg

post-2541-086944400 1351316281_thumb.jpg

post-2541-099145900 1351316293_thumb.jpg

post-2541-037939500 1351316300_thumb.jpg

post-2541-008307800 1351316315_thumb.jpg

post-2541-097782800 1351316323_thumb.jpg

Edited by notheredave

You inspire me and to my regret are costing me money as I previously posted. I'm swapping that 2001 SVT cobra engine into the 240. Been chicken till I saw someone fit it in. Mine's got the 3650 trans and I bought the wiring all the way thru the dash. A couple of questions, can you share any of the measurements you ended up with on the modified mustang crossmember? Just looking for a base staring point, top of stub rail to bottom of member etc... Also did you end up having to section the steering rod after offsetting and rolling the engine a touch?

Thanks, Greg

You inspire me and to my regret are costing me money as I previously posted. I'm swapping that 2001 SVT cobra engine into the 240. Been chicken till I saw someone fit it in. Mine's got the 3650 trans and I bought the wiring all the way thru the dash. A couple of questions, can you share any of the measurements you ended up with on the modified mustang crossmember? Just looking for a base staring point, top of stub rail to bottom of member etc... Also did you end up having to section the steering rod after offsetting and rolling the engine a touch?

Thanks, Greg

I am running a 3650 also and I started out modifing the trans crossmember but made a mistake and desided to go with JagsThatRun's crossmenber Part# DAT-106 and here is the link: http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Parts_DAT200.html. I will pull out the research on the crossmember...The mistake was that I flipped the mounting area when I had it welded.

I didn't roll the engine but am for now planning on using a steering piece that came from a Toyota V-6 4X4, Toyota Van, and Mitsubishi (i think is the same) Which will allow you to run the streering rod straight to in front of the motor and back at the steering rack...Also working out the rotation of the rack which might be a problem since the rack has odd shaped mounts.

I didn't rotate the motor by using Ford Expedition motor mount recievers and mounts...THey come on the 4.6L and the 5.4L. Still a work in progress.

I'll read your request again after I eat something and see if I missed something.

PS Check #35 http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/100949-46l-ford-dohc-modular-motor-in-my-240z/page__view__findpost__p__952271

and #40 http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/100949-46l-ford-dohc-modular-motor-in-my-240z/page__view__findpost__p__958023

Edited by notheredave

I had read those and some of the others posted by members with 2v and other fords. Did not know which steering option you went with. I think I may try the extra shaft and joint, looks simpler than the extra gearing and rack relo. How is your ground clearance? I've got a 1 inch drop in the suspension.

And just in case you and others who how done such a great job of posting did not know, it really benefits us all. Hours of work are saved by being able to aggregate the combined experience. Thanks again.

I had read those and some of the others posted by members with 2v and other fords. Did not know which steering option you went with. I think I may try the extra shaft and joint, looks simpler than the extra gearing and rack relo. How is your ground clearance? I've got a 1 inch drop in the suspension.

And just in case you and others who how done such a great job of posting did not know, it really benefits us all. Hours of work are saved by being able to aggregate the combined experience. Thanks again.

Cool...Yes I don't know for sure which path I'll take until I have everything in hand and try doing it. So I too might go the two shafts and joints also. I have to have a lot of welding done before I can remove the motor and trans. I am putting in a dual zone A/C and heater, and ABS???

Why the dual zone A/C? Are you adding extra seats in the back? Making it a station wagon Z? He he. :lol:

Not...The A/C is controlled from left to right. I have two systems one from a 98' Lincoln MK8 (not dual zone) then I noticed that the Ford Expedition had front vents that where more like the Z's (Dual Zone...Left to Right).

Love your build. We might have to meet up sometime to talk datsun. I would definitely like to get a closer look at your suspension and brakes and well.... everything else. Im in chula vista if you ever want to take me up on the offer.

Sure...I'm not as complete as I'd like. But after this next month I will have the welding done hopefully and more answers. I need the rack n pinion setup installed to see if the tires rub anything. I also will probably go with a road racing oil pan (big bucks $350) for more clearance. I am also working on the LSD, CV's and fuel cell. Etc.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...