HybridZ

1979 280zx running like crap after replacing old injectors

skiboatm

I'll try and be as clear as possible with this, I'm a little confused as to what happened.

Long story short, my fuel tank is rusty. I noticed then when brown gas poured out of my old fuel filter when I replaced it, so I took it upon myself to check the injectors as well. silt and sediment poured out of them when I pulled them off the rail, so I decided I'd refresh the rail, get new injectors, and put a clear filter on the fuel line so i could visually inspect the quality of the gas making it into my engine. While I was waiting for the injectors to arrive, I pulled the intake and and exhaust manifolds, installed an MSA 3-2-1 header, and then removed the webbing on the intake manifold.

post-8652-013497200 1309868996_thumb.jpg

After installing the intake and the exhaust (with new washers and studs) I degreased/painted the rail and installed the new injectors, with new seals and all. Everything looked good, but the thing won't stay running to save my life.

post-8652-037849600 1309868951_thumb.jpg

Potential Issues:

1: While all the part numbers were the same, two of the injectors were different colors... turbo vs non turbo injector maybe?

2: Since I had to remove the whole wiring harness to get everything out, there's a slight chance that the injectors got plugged in to the wrong sockets.

3: The universe hates me

4: Everything is working fine but the ECU doesn't know how to handle all the additional fuel from a clean fuel rail, high flow filter, and new (aka silt free) injectors

It ran very briefly, but it sounded like a huge cammy dragster (still running open headers), and wouldn't rev past like 3000 RPM. It seems like it's just not getting enough air, because it ran "better" once I opened the idle adjustment screw all the way, and had to keep the throttle open a little for it to even idle for the 10 seconds it did idle.

I'd rather not take it to the dealer and get raped... any of you guys seen this issue before??

This will all go away once I get the LT1 installed (winter-ish) but I want to be able to use this motor in another vehicle.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by skiboatm

Is that clear filter rated for 36 psi?

Someone on this forum just reported on a car fire but didn't really say how it happened. Looks like you have an L28 in a 240Z so you probably have the "on when the key's On" fuel pump wiring.

Smokey Bear

• 4 weeks later...

Is that clear filter rated for 36 psi?

Someone on this forum just reported on a car fire but didn't really say how it happened. Looks like you have an L28 in a 240Z so you probably have the "on when the key's On" fuel pump wiring.

Smokey Bear

I thought so, and apparently I was wrong lol. It burst the other day, luckily there were no issues with it, but I'm definitely going back to a better filter now!

I thought so, and apparently I was wrong lol. It burst the other day, luckily there were no issues with it, but I'm definitely going back to a better filter now!

Put the clear plastic one before the pump! Use an OEM metal canister type after the pump.

Put the clear plastic one before the pump! Use an OEM metal canister type after the pump.

Good call, shoulda thought of that one myself. I haven't had a chance to replace the filters yet, I'm kinda hoping to figure out what the other problems I'm having are as well... ah, the joys of owning at 30 year old car