HybridZ

Fender Mirror Pics / Instalation Questions

I have a 72 Datsun 240z, with a old robotic Autozone Mirror only on the drivers side. While at a car show a fat kid leaned up against my car a broke it where it wont stay in place. No biggy they arent worth anything to began with. I would like to add some fender mirrors for a different look and finding many styles and shapes with totally differeant price ranges. Can somone tell me some pros and cons of theses mirrors? How hard is the installation? Do they mount in front of the front tires or in the center? Are there any templates or exact measurments where their suppose to be? I know these are some silly question, but Iam in the process of painting my car a diff color and nows the time for me to decide if I need to weld over the holes from the old mirror. Any help with the questions and some pics would be appreciated. DatsunZman04 :2thumbs:

Uh, REVERSE THOSE DIMENSIONS!

You won't see anything in those locations, but your PASSENGER will work wonders telling you where to go!

The diagram is for a RHD vehicle, posted by Alan Thomas at Classic Z website. There IS a proper LHD interposition if you are mounting them on an LHD vehicle listed there.

You will be sorely disappointed with the field of view in an LHD car, if you mount the mirrors in the RHD position.

Yes, it DOES make that much difference!

• 2 weeks later...

Now, as much as the JDM vendors who want me to pay $300 and up for their fender mirrors will disagree... there has to be another way? I found some 300SL Mercedes chrome bullet fender mirrors that had very similar dimensions to the "Z" specific ones, but at a fraction of the cost.

Would these still be a option?

• 2 weeks later...

I personally think putting anything else on the fender besides the original ones looks hacked and cheesy. The above specs will work and the view is nice from inside. I just installed my oem nissan/datsun mirrors last week and they can be adjusted to see perfectly with the specs above for us spec LH vehicle.

I dont know if what you guys are installing is the OEM stuff. I have an actual RHD car, and my car came with fender mirrors, but they are power fender mirrors.

Did Nissan really offer a power and non power version back in the day?

Has anyone mounted the mirrors symmetrically?

I would just have a hard time mounting each side differently like the above diagram.

You've seen my car. Would you even notice that they're mounted asymmetrically if you didn't know?

Quentin has his mounted symmetrically. If he comes to Z-Fest, you can compare.

I think the asymmetry is kind of cool. It shows that they actually put some thought in to where to mount them.

Nigel

^ Agree. To those who see them, and even notice, it's a good conversation point.

I can think of more interesting things to talk about. ;)

Nigel, I haven't noticed, but even if it's not easily noticed, I would just have a hard time doing it.

When I saw your car last I was looking to intently on the competition scoop to pay attention to the mirrors. ;)

I definitely want to sit in your car at ZFest and see what I can... well... see. I've been realy thinking that it may be a safer way to see what's around me.

Edited by Six_Shooter

• 4 months later...

Well the only one if have is more of the engine at the moment. I mounted mine in the same place on both sides. Looks better and these have plenty of adjustment, I think some people are smoking crack. I dont care if its not the OEM location or not.

6671119659_0ac55e5704_b.jpg

Fender mirrors certainly add a snazzy Euro look! However, for anyone contemplating this mod, something to keep in mind....

Unless the mirrors are mounted in such a way as to permit easy removal, they can really be a pain in the *ss when working on the engine. Think about how much time you've spent bending over a fender while working in the engine compartment, and then imagine what it would be like with a mirror mounted on the fender exactly where you were leaning for 2 hours.

I mounted mine in the same place on both sides. Looks better and these have plenty of adjustment, I think some people are smoking crack. I dont care if its not the OEM location or not.

I've smoked so much "crack" that I'm seeing short-stalk 510 mirrors mounted on your car rather than the correct long-stalk S30-speciic type.

Guess why the S30-specific type have longer stalks than the 510-specific ones.....