HybridZ

260z Drift Monstor

i recently picked up a 1974 datsun 260z from a member on this forums. i have been wanting to build a real all out drift car now for the past 2 years and i wanted to do something different than the rest of the crowd but still drive and perform well. so heres what i got.

047.jpg

040.jpg

036.jpg

064.jpg

073.jpg

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq358/AllBoost12/052.jpg[/img

The car is immaculate with no rust. it has coilovers on it already but i have no idea what type the are. the dont seem to have been worked on at all so they might be arizona zcar coils but i need to get some better pictures for you guys to take a look.for power i plan to use a ls motor with some goodies. get it around a solid 375-425 wheel horsepower. car has a 5 point gforce harness along with corbeau racing seats. i have been reading countless threads about thise drivetrain swap and the only thing i really am worried about is power steering, or the lack there of, and the rear end. ive been thinking a r200 turbo diff would be enough but i feel the the axels would quickly break with the continuous clutch kicks and hydraulic ebrake. any and all information about getting one of these cars to slide cleanly would be greatly appreciated. i am not new to the car world and have plenty of tools and know how. i also own a 2003 dodge neon srt that puts down 423 wheel horsepower on 24 pounds of boost.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never tried modifying s30 knuckles, but you might be able to do it the same way I did my Miata knuckles. Either cut and weld, or just drill a new hole farther up the knuckle arm. I'll have to look at my '78.

I was going to try to drift my '78, but ended up picking up a Miata for really cheap. Decided not to tear up the s30. It'll be fun though! Can't wait to see it sideways.

Your biggest issue (and its a big one) is steering lock. There's not enough to make a good drift car.

custom tie rods and a jigsaw helps alot for that. or is it the fact of the knuckle. i was thinking of maybe using an electric power steering pump off a toyota mr2.

The issue with steering lock isn't just the rack or the steering arms. The TC rod and the frame in front of the crossmember get in the way big time. There are fixes for all of this, its just takes some thought, money, and time.

I should have some axles out in a week or so that will handle anything you throw at them and will have a lifetime guarantee against breakage. I'm impatiently waiting for the prototype set to arrive.

i would love to try out a set. the car has some big plans for it. the rear suspension will more than likely custom based around either the coilovers on it now or coilovers off a s13 chassis. it will have very stiff springs in the rear (prolly 10k's) and 8ks in the front. this car will have to win with its power and short wheelbase.

The issue with steering lock isn't just the rack or the steering arms. The TC rod and the frame in front of the crossmember get in the way big time. There are fixes for all of this, its just takes some thought, money, and time.

might need a frame knotch with a reinforced metal and some triangulation. i will have to see when i get to the suspension part of the car what we can achieve. i really do need to get the powerplant underway. so who would have the lowest motor sitting mount kit for the s30 and the ls. i have read the stickies and heard about brokenkitty.com alot and the kit seems pretty flawless but i really want the motor sitting as low as possible.

"it will have very stiff springs in the rear (prolly 10k's) and 8ks in the front. this car will have to win with its power and short wheelbase. "

Unitbody Spring Rate.... interesting concept! :huh:

it will have very stiff springs in the rear (prolly 10k's) and 8ks in the front. this car will have to win with its power and short wheelbase.

Ignore the rates people use for S13s, AE86s, etc. Pay attention to what people use for road race S30s.

The lowest sitting means fabbing it yourself... there is as far as i know only one ls kit. Further more drifters start using real road race suspension in Japan and europe insteda of stiffing it up more and more.

Anyhow with 10k springs you wil have a big leaf spring called your unibody! a s30 aint all that stiff (at all) For that you are better off on a s130

One intresting point apart from the steer lock issue .. Powersteering??? why in the world? it totaly throws of any feel of where the front wheels are and what they are doing! I know modern race cars use it.. but i perosanlly hate it.. Having that said a s30 is so light, and running fairly skinny tires... (compared to) you really do need power steering?

but if you really want to ..

http://electricpowersteering.net/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4&zenid=4e86729f96c1f290bf75c53960b7d643

Edited by frank280zx

I always find it ironic that someone can talk about doing custom suspension work and the be asking about motor mount kits in the same thread...

People have tried to make S30 drift cars in the past. It can be done, but it's certainly not easy and the attempts I remember didn't listen to the advice given freely from those wiser around here. My advice would be to throw out all the things you thought you knew and listen to those around here that seem to know what they're talking about, because many of them have more race car experience in their toe nail than I have in my entire being.

This is exactly why i am here ^. I know that you guys know more about these cars than i do. The why i read through everything i can to try and gain some knowledge on it before i post. And you right im more used to the 240sx with a rb25 motor as drift cars. Thats what im used to work on for drifting. That why in my first post i asked for help on getting these things to slide. I was sitting in the car yesterday and gave the wheel a flick and the steering is so light. Granted there is no motor in the car but still it feels effortless so i am going power steering less and can always add it in later. Thank you guys for all information and keep it rolling to me. I'll soak up as much as possible. :) Hopefully others wondering about doing this to their s30's will learn something or maybe can add to this thread.

Anyhow with 10k springs you wil have a big leaf spring called your unibody! a s30 aint all that stiff (at all) For that you are better off on a s130 Z31

Probably the most rigid of the lighter, older, Z-chassis'. Its definitely a much more modern design in terms of frame rails, floor pans, etc, than any of the previous...and its in the top 3 of the most aerodynamic Z's ever :P

Don't get me wrong, I love S30s for their looks and lightness, and being old....I love Z31s for their looks (shut up), and how they drive. It was probably the first Z that was stable over 130-140....

But I'm sure a S30 can be made just as rigid as a Z31, and weigh about the same or more while doing it. A 280Z weighs more than a bare bones Z31 yet isnt as rigid.... Just saying, there are more and more people drifting them now....I don't think the S30 is the proper chassis to choose to drift with, because of the points others have made.