HybridZ

1970 240z Project (Very slow, money is tight)

I have a header fetish. :lol:

I've been curious since seeing your removed exhaust pipes as to what header you have. Who knows maybe I'll buy it. Trade ya for a stock one!

Well heres the headers and exhaust I took off. Fullfil your fetish needs? lol These were taken on my phone.

post-15914-064936700 1311708516_thumb.jpeg

post-15914-009554100 1311708536_thumb.jpeg

post-15914-045797700 1311708554_thumb.jpeg

Nice, those look like Hooker headers. I just bought a set myself!

I don't know what kind they are, but they weren't even attached correctly at the exhaust connections. they were were off and exaust was coming out all around, and there is a leak in the bottom of the headers where the 3 go into 1 big pipe. Hard to explaine, but its in a area you cant rap.

HAHA! Funny! Yeah Im currently looking for some headers if I can find some that are used and still in good condition. I'll also be getting a exhaust system but that'll be awhile. I have to wait to do a leak down test till sometime in august. My friend has the tool at school and if I only need it once im not going to buy a 50 dollar or more tool to use once. But till then Im going to try and work on some other items. I don't know what to do about my seats. They are not ripped at all and I think they look great, but the foam inside of it is dead so I don't know how to remove the foam and put in new padding. Still debating on getting some racing seats and 4 or 5 point harnest.

I picked up some dry Ice tonight, I started chipping away at the old sound deadner on the floor pans. Their doesn't seem to be much rust on the floor pans from inside the car, but im not done yet on the chipping away. The dry ice really worked well, i just should have used a bigger piece but it was late and I only wanted to try it. So the driver side is almost doe being chipped away just from tonight.

I also took a pic of the center console, I really wanted to try and keep as much of the original leather as I could since you can't really get that stuff anymore. But I see rut coloring underneath so I think Its going to have to come off. Any suggestions on keeping it or getting rid of it?

I was waiting on doing a leak down test for the motor till the middle of august to borrow a leak down tester, but it looks like I'll be getting that done hopefully this weekend, so then I could pull the motor our and start sanding and cleaning the motor area. Well here's some pics, gotta get going to be and be ready for work.

Alex

post-15914-085387700 1312352741_thumb.jpg

post-15914-082939800 1312352804_thumb.jpg

post-15914-044879500 1312353042_thumb.jpg

post-15914-019609900 1312353222_thumb.jpg

post-15914-078748200 1312353413_thumb.jpg

ohh curious to see how you're gonna fix that. I have the same holes in a different spot of the floor pan.

As far as I know, I have a friend who welds and he might either weld it for me or show me how to do it. I also wanted to take a welding class so I could do it.

Hey guys,

I know that I haven't posted in a couple days, but this is whats going on. My friend came over the other day and helped me strip down the car till there's nothing else in it. He also let me borrow his air compressor and tools for it and a bunch of other things. We also did the leak down test tonight. In every cylinder there was about 5 pounds of pressure that was leaking, But we could only use about 40 psi because 100psi would make the motor move. Once I pull the motor out I'll be doing a better leak down test . I bought myself a few this weekend for my birthday. I bought a new engine crane and engine stand. Things have been moving pretty quick without my intentions. My wife is getting mad at me for working on the car too much but it's addicting so I can't stop at times.

Im now in the process of selling my racing suit and motorcycle racing boots, and soon to be bike to fund my project and me needing a newer commuter. Anyways here are the pics I took tonight really quick, I'll also be using the air compressor to sand the car down and paint the car. Remember guys I also have a youtube account, so request me, I'll be making more videos as well hopefully thins week to document it more. My friend is even talking about making me a CF hood and then the car would be so lite!!! Anyways have a good night everyone.

post-15914-089077100 1312785775_thumb.jpg

post-15914-057611800 1312785826_thumb.jpg

post-15914-035750400 1312785881_thumb.jpg

post-15914-081511000 1312785940_thumb.jpg

post-15914-025489200 1312786002_thumb.jpg

post-15914-082490200 1312786059_thumb.jpg

Edited by Alex731

Whoops sorry, i was falling asleep when I wrote that. I meant to say their was a 5% loss in pressure in all the cylinders on a cold motor. Im going to pull the motor soon to work on body under the hood, also work on the motor a little. Im still confused as to why the motor didn't want to go passed a certain speed on the road. I pulled my plugs and they were so black since I was running rich. The carbs are so messed up that the carbs had to be set rich to keep the car idling steady. Could the car not want to drive if it was rich? Anyways I was going to as what you guys think, I was goign to repaint the car my own color and one thing I wasn't sure about was painting under the hood. Ive seen people paint blank which Im guessing is por-15 for the engine bay. Or should I use regular car paint? Thats far off but im just wondering what you guys would do?

Btw if anyone knows the answer to this I'd like some feedback, while doing the leakdown to the motor, we couldn't get the motor to hold 100psi because the pressure would press the pistons down and the crank would turn. I'm confused on how guys did there leakdown with 100psi on there test? The transmission is not bolted to the block since I'm getting a new transmission and took the broken one off. Could that be the reason? I assume people put motors on the stands and do leakdown testing as well. Help?