HybridZ

1970 240z Project (Very slow, money is tight)

Hi everyone, I already introduced myself, but now im going to finally get to workin on my Z. I got this Z back in Nov/Dec and after so many months of my Z waiting at my work, she finally made it home this past week. I stored her at work while My wife and I found and bought our first home together, anyways she drives, but she has a bad carb that leaks and the motor is really tired, and the exahust by the looks was put on by a monkey since not all the pieces were fit on correctly making it leak exhaust everywhere. Almost everything is original to this Z except the tranny, the shitty radio I ripped out because it was from kragen lol, and the lovely black carpet you put in house floors. Anyways today my friend and I got the transmission out since its not going into 5th gear while in motion, also took off most of the exhaust piping, and popped the valve cover off to take a look under to see how dirty she looked. I also found a piece broken off my cam gear. Let me know what you guys think. I'll throw up some pictures and a link to my youtube thread as I will be posting videos as well.

My goal for this car for now is to get the car to be at least reliable to drive. I want to be able to drive it around and have some fun ride in style. At the same time I'll be attempting to build a stroker motor with triple mikunis. That will take awhile to gather parts and money, I wil also be taking the entire body apart and trying to restore everything myself for the most part. I've never done this before, so I'll def be asking a lot of questions.

http://www.youtube.c...0Z?feature=mhee

Theres a link to my youtube videos, Ive posted a bunch since I got the car, I was able to get the car going with my lunch breaks at work. An how for about 2 weeks and she was running. Badly, but running. anyways let me know what you guys think. THANKS!! :)

post-15914-030431200 1311036675_thumb.jpg

post-15914-010706300 1311036699_thumb.jpg

post-15914-021079200 1311036746_thumb.jpg

post-15914-060471200 1311036903_thumb.jpg

post-15914-020939500 1311036925_thumb.jpg

post-15914-060775100 1311036956_thumb.jpg

Edited by Alex731
Pics way too large. Please Resize Images to: 1024 x 768 MAX

If you upload them at www.imageshack.us, theres an option to resize them right on the website.

;)

Awesome, I'll do that when I get home or try on my lunch break at work. Maybe my camera was set for really big high quality pictures? Now idea. I also posted the pics on classiczcars so if anyone is part of that forum they can see on there too

You do know that a 240 came with a 4 speed origianlly.. Correct? Maybe get some numbers off the tranny and let some of the pro's here tell you if its a 4 or 5 speed..

Yeah I know that, Id hope most would lol. I never thought about the numbers though, I'll get some in a little bit and throw it up to see if anyone knows.

I'm thinking the L20 on the transmission is referring to the fact it was originally mated to an L20. Not sure.

Also, the paint looks good in the video. Is it actually in good condition? Would be really cool to have original paint on a car like that.

Well the paint finish looks to be very bad...kind of bubbles and not smooth in some areas, Im wondering if it was repainted badly? Looks like theres a few layers from the chips I see. MAybe someone tried to do a cheap resto?

A little upset tonight. I was given this car that was supposed to be almost original. Apparently the motor may have been rebuilt at some point, or maybe just the head was. I went searching for the head casting number tonight and what I found was a e88 head, not the e31 head that I thought I had. I found the block casting and that I believe is the e31 block. Very hard to see with those damn old headers in the way so I'll have to remove those to confirm but it looks like I have the e31 head. I was curious to look this up today because I realized I think IM supposed to have a oil bar for the cam and the head doesn't have that. Did the e88 head have the oil bar? because I don't see anything that looks like a oil bar.

I also took off the little sticky trim on the side of the car.....someone thought it was a cool idea to add this trim to cover up holes in the body...also saw some bondo lookin stuff. I know this car is in relatively amazing condition for its age, but the little surprises are not making it seem easier for me lol.

So I took today to work on the car a little. I took the rear tail lights and plates off found a common rust spot that was covered by some kind of glue to either hide it or stop it. Either way its not too good. I also finished taking off the headers, intake manifold, carbs, and radiator+lines. Going to get the stuff to do a leak down test soon, might take awhile to get the money to either rent the compressor or buy, I want one so we'll see how long it'll take to do that. Im also going to attempt a valve adjustment when I get a feeler gauge. Maybe The car is dieing for a valve adjustment, and fuel from my broken carbs. I took some pics of the engine bay and back hatch area.

post-15914-060238300 1311568396_thumb.jpg

post-15914-087843300 1311568655_thumb.jpg

post-15914-092011800 1311568751_thumb.jpg

post-15914-082234100 1311568833_thumb.jpg

post-15914-044652300 1311568994_thumb.jpg