HybridZ
Perfect240z

1970 240z Project (Very slow, money is tight)

HAHA! Funny! Yeah Im currently looking for some headers if I can find some that are used and still in good condition. I'll also be getting a exhaust system but that'll be awhile. I have to wait to do a leak down test till sometime in august. My friend has the tool at school and if I only need it once im not going to buy a 50 dollar or more tool to use once. But till then Im going to try and work on some other items. I don't know what to do about my seats. They are not ripped at all and I think they look great, but the foam inside of it is dead so I don't know how to remove the foam and put in new padding. Still debating on getting some racing seats and 4 or 5 point harnest.

I picked up some dry Ice tonight, I started chipping away at the old sound deadner on the floor pans. Their doesn't seem to be much rust on the floor pans from inside the car, but im not done yet on the chipping away. The dry ice really worked well, i just should have used a bigger piece but it was late and I only wanted to try it. So the driver side is almost doe being chipped away just from tonight.

I also took a pic of the center console, I really wanted to try and keep as much of the original leather as I could since you can't really get that stuff anymore. But I see rut coloring underneath so I think Its going to have to come off. Any suggestions on keeping it or getting rid of it?

I was waiting on doing a leak down test for the motor till the middle of august to borrow a leak down tester, but it looks like I'll be getting that done hopefully this weekend, so then I could pull the motor our and start sanding and cleaning the motor area. Well here's some pics, gotta get going to be and be ready for work.

Alex

post-15914-085387700 1312352741_thumb.jpg

post-15914-082939800 1312352804_thumb.jpg

post-15914-044879500 1312353042_thumb.jpg

post-15914-019609900 1312353222_thumb.jpg

post-15914-078748200 1312353413_thumb.jpg

ohh curious to see how you're gonna fix that. I have the same holes in a different spot of the floor pan.

As far as I know, I have a friend who welds and he might either weld it for me or show me how to do it. I also wanted to take a welding class so I could do it.

Hey guys,

I know that I haven't posted in a couple days, but this is whats going on. My friend came over the other day and helped me strip down the car till there's nothing else in it. He also let me borrow his air compressor and tools for it and a bunch of other things. We also did the leak down test tonight. In every cylinder there was about 5 pounds of pressure that was leaking, But we could only use about 40 psi because 100psi would make the motor move. Once I pull the motor out I'll be doing a better leak down test . I bought myself a few this weekend for my birthday. I bought a new engine crane and engine stand. Things have been moving pretty quick without my intentions. My wife is getting mad at me for working on the car too much but it's addicting so I can't stop at times.

Im now in the process of selling my racing suit and motorcycle racing boots, and soon to be bike to fund my project and me needing a newer commuter. Anyways here are the pics I took tonight really quick, I'll also be using the air compressor to sand the car down and paint the car. Remember guys I also have a youtube account, so request me, I'll be making more videos as well hopefully thins week to document it more. My friend is even talking about making me a CF hood and then the car would be so lite!!! Anyways have a good night everyone.

post-15914-089077100 1312785775_thumb.jpg

post-15914-057611800 1312785826_thumb.jpg

post-15914-035750400 1312785881_thumb.jpg

post-15914-081511000 1312785940_thumb.jpg

post-15914-025489200 1312786002_thumb.jpg

post-15914-082490200 1312786059_thumb.jpg

Edited by Alex731

Whoops sorry, i was falling asleep when I wrote that. I meant to say their was a 5% loss in pressure in all the cylinders on a cold motor. Im going to pull the motor soon to work on body under the hood, also work on the motor a little. Im still confused as to why the motor didn't want to go passed a certain speed on the road. I pulled my plugs and they were so black since I was running rich. The carbs are so messed up that the carbs had to be set rich to keep the car idling steady. Could the car not want to drive if it was rich? Anyways I was going to as what you guys think, I was goign to repaint the car my own color and one thing I wasn't sure about was painting under the hood. Ive seen people paint blank which Im guessing is por-15 for the engine bay. Or should I use regular car paint? Thats far off but im just wondering what you guys would do?

Btw if anyone knows the answer to this I'd like some feedback, while doing the leakdown to the motor, we couldn't get the motor to hold 100psi because the pressure would press the pistons down and the crank would turn. I'm confused on how guys did there leakdown with 100psi on there test? The transmission is not bolted to the block since I'm getting a new transmission and took the broken one off. Could that be the reason? I assume people put motors on the stands and do leakdown testing as well. Help?

Well it's been about a week since I posted something. Last friday I went out and bought my new(ish) 1983zx close ratio transmission. As soon as I got home I went to pulling the motor out, It took only a few minutes since I've been preparing to pull the motor out. After I pulled the motor I put my car on rollers to roll the Z around the garage. I have carpet in my garage so it doesn't roll around as easy, but It won't just roll if I bump into it so its a blessing in disguise.

I Started chipping away at the passenger side floor to get that old deadener off. found a nice crack in the floor behind where the seat goes. Also whoever had this car before me in NM thought it was a cool idea to get self tapping screws and drill them through the floor to hold down this little thin carpet holder so water did get to the metal. But for what it was its only going to need some sanding to get that rust off and then add some POR-15, or maybe I'll paint first then add the POR-15...I don't know which. I'll tackle the floor under the passenger seat sometime this weekend, Its really oily for some odd reason and the old soft cushy fiber is on it like really tall mold lol.

Found a really cool place in Livermore that sells 2 twill carbon fiber for 35 bucks a yard. Im planning on making a carbon fiber hood just for fun to see how it looks and to get some weight off the car. It wont be permanent but it will look interesting or ricey lol. I might be coming on a cool new steering wheel soon, just waiting on if its going to work out or not. Pics to come if it does. Anyways its dinner time, so here's the pics I took tonight. I'll be putting a pic of an idea what I might want to paint the car. It'll be the bright orange from a 911 gt3 rs with the lettering of 240z in black on the bottom of the doors. Let me know what you guys think! :)

post-15914-000633900 1314337651_thumb.jpg

post-15914-076289300 1314337733_thumb.jpg

post-15914-060526900 1314337786_thumb.jpg

post-15914-093881700 1314337924_thumb.jpg

post-15914-066983800 1314337979_thumb.jpg

post-15914-062638600 1314338508_thumb.jpg

post-15914-032859000 1314338628_thumb.jpg

post-15914-047775400 1314338688_thumb.jpg

post-15914-099358700 1314338742_thumb.jpg

post-15914-001318100 1314338804_thumb.jpg

post-15914-038231600 1314338922_thumb.jpg

post-15914-025679200 1314338990_thumb.jpg

post-15914-057261000 1314339057_thumb.jpg

post-15914-096275500 1314339700_thumb.jpg

Edited by Alex731

Just found this thread. I'm from Marin and I just bought my motor yesterday. Currently saving up for a shell to start my own project, Which will also hopefully be an early 240. Anyways, I found it cool that someone else in the bay area was building one. I will be doing the same pretty soon, just gotta pull my motor apart and get a shell and then I will start my build thread. Hey maybe when we both finish our cars, we can go for a drive! I probably have another 8 months till I will have a driveable Z. Haha I don't even have any Z right now.

Just found this thread. I'm from Marin and I just bought my motor yesterday. Currently saving up for a shell to start my own project, Which will also hopefully be an early 240. Anyways, I found it cool that someone else in the bay area was building one. I will be doing the same pretty soon, just gotta pull my motor apart and get a shell and then I will start my build thread. Hey maybe when we both finish our cars, we can go for a drive! I probably have another 8 months till I will have a driveable Z. Haha I don't even have any Z right now.

Sweet! Yeah mine was kind of drivable when I got it. Wouldn't go passed 35-40 mph and wouldn't go into 5th. I don't know how long it will take me to do the build. But I want to drive it soon! Lol I just finished the last of getting all the sound deadener up front, I'm going to tackle the back this weekend so I could start sanding the paint off and repairing some holes in the floor. I was lucky to get one that isn't bad at all, a couple issues here and there with the body. What motor are you putting in? I'm doing a stroker motor. I'm most likely going to buy the head already assembled buy the shop, I'm going to try and put the block together myself to try and keep the price on the lower end but I am a ways out on getting the motor. I am trying to find the block though so I don't have to worry about it. Pm me when you get your build going. I actually go to the Marin area somewhat often to see my wife's cousins. What area are you in?

So its been awhile since I posted on my thread. Heres whats up, I have finally started stripping the paint off the car. Its going slowly even with the aircraft stripper. After taking off the fenders and lower front signals/lip I unfortunately found out that the car was hit on the driver side at some point. The last owner even went ahead and tried to cover it with bondo. I'll upload some pictures tomorrow, the damage doesn't look like it will affect the cars performance, but I am going to have to get one of the those reverse hammer things to get dents out. Lots of bolts broke off, so i'll have to drill out some of those holes and retap them.

On the plus side I have my N42 head that was purchased from Gollum(Thank You!) the head was worked on by a shop called The Z Dr. which went out of business a little while ago, and I got my f54 block which is going to need A LOT! of tlc. I did get it for 40 dollars. If i find another block in the mean time that is in working condition, I'll totally pick that up and sell this block. Well I'll take some pics tomorrow and post them, tonight has come to an end. Have a good night guys!

Well I finally got a police officer to come to my house and verify the Vin number. Just have to turn in the paper work and it's all set. I was planning on doing a 3.0l stroker motor because of this issue of the DMV verifying the Vin. It would have been period correct and powerful. But now that i don't have to take the car in, this opens up some more options for me now. I think I'll be heading the rb route so I'll have reliability, my power factor, and I don't have to keep adjusting carbs. Then when I become rich and famous in something I'll do the stroker motor to keep my car period correct.