HybridZ

1970 240z Project (Very slow, money is tight)

Wow I'm in for a lot since I've never done this. So I've been doing some research and unread that putting a very thin layer of body filler before the first primer spray gives it a professional finish. Did you do that or just spray the primer first?

epoxy primer on all bare metal..no I used very little body filler, only fixing the low spots, then 2k high build primer which will cover and fill scratch marks on body plus small problem areas.

here is a pic of my hatch sill plate

post-18988-067168100 1336451819_thumb.jpg

post-18988-026786000 1336452066_thumb.jpg

Edited by nix240z

epoxy primer on all bare metal..no I used very little body filler, only fixing the low spots, then 2k high build primer which will cover and fill scratch marks on body plus small problem areas.

here is a pic of my hatch sill plate

Ahh ok, that looks great! Did you make a plate or buy it online? I found it online for 140 bucks, I need to get a angle grinder to get some of the rust off the bottom

Side of where the plate used to be and weld a few new pieces on in that area.

Ahh ok, that looks great! Did you make a plate or buy it online? I found it online for 140 bucks, I need to get a angle grinder to get some of the rust off the bottom

Side of where the plate used to be and weld a few new pieces on in that area.

I purchased mine online, I was looking at your pictures and your is rusted out exactly underneath just like mine. I purchased a 18" Bending Brake from Harbor Freight for $35 and bent new metal and welded in new parts. Then welded in new sill plate, it fits really good and also looks factory, you will have to drill the holes for rear taillight body panels and license plate light.

• 1 month later...

Its been awhile, but im back at it. I bought myself an electric sander since i was tired of letting the air compressor rest while using the air sander. But now that im back to my sanding i should be able to get more sanding done quicker. I have my head back right now, getting some gunk out of the threads that didnt get washed out. After I get it out the head goes back to the shop, I think Im getting a good price on the work which is why im cleaning out the threading, its taking long time to get this head done though, the valve seats need to be replaced but im not going to the that yet since i just want to run it stock with triple carbs.

• 1 month later...

An update finally... Haven't been on it much since my commuter car has been giving me a lot of problems. Anyways, im done sanding 1 fender, im sanding thing second fender, should be done soon with that and onto repairing holes and the hatch and frame. Im about 99% sure im going to take the car to Maaco and pay for the better paint job. Thinking to really drive the car now so I want to try and finish as soon as i can. Here's a short video diary of everything going on right now.

Went to town today on the Z. It's my birthday tomorrow, so I took off today and tomorrow to work on the Z. I have the passenger fender And passenger rear side almost all down to bare metal. Pics to come, I did it all for about 3.5 hours sanding one thing down and letting the paint stripper do its thing on the other. Shell be almost ready to fix the damage spots real soon. I also turned the whole car around in the garage to face the other way last night...that took awhile but it was all worth it.

Great progress you made. Do you know how soon you need to paint after stripping down paint before start rusting?

No idea, to be honest half the csr has been stripped for over 6 months now, but i live in a dry place and its summer time. Should hopefully be ready by winter for paint

No idea, to be honest half the csr has been stripped for over 6 months now, but i live in a dry place and its summer time. Should hopefully be ready by winter for paint

Thanks. That's good to know. I should start stripping paint project end of rain season of this year too :D

Well I'm getting really close now to starting on the repairs. This Is all my time well spent on sanding and paint stripping. All I have to do is get thJose head light buckets cleaned and finish the hatch and bumper.

And I bought this on eBay last week and it finally came in. A newish rear tail light backing. It Is missing a cover so if anyone has one please kettle me know. The one on the bottom came with the car. Broken and not the right one.

Wow, nice job Alex. I'm sure that took quite a bit of time and patience. Every little bit of work adds up, as tough as it can be to squeeze it in sometimes. Keep it up, little-by-little and you'll be on the road soon enough!