HybridZ

1970 240z Project (Very slow, money is tight)

Heres a video update on whats going on. I got my rear wheel arches in the mail, I just need to order the hatch replacement and a special item that will have to go on before the Z is painted. Ordered some bushings from Datsun llc for my shifter linkage. I've heard both good and bad things, but they're just bushings so how bad could this be? Hope to see some cool people at the BBQ on saturday :)

Great to see you are making progress, was your Z rear ended before? There is a lot of holes in the rear which looks like it was from a dent puller.

If you are planning on taking your car to MAACO i would suggest you stop by a couple of them and speak with the shop manager and make sure they understand what you want. I had a FC3S RX-7 before which was a similar to what you are doing, got the car sand blasted and it revealed a couple holes and dings which was previously filled in with bondo. I took it to MAACO and told the estimator i wanted to dents repaired before any paint was sprayed, when i got the car back no body work was done they primered and painted the top coat with the existing dents and the holes, i think they filled them in with a welder than grinded it down but you can clearly see small grind marks through the paint. The primer and color coat had runs in it which were not sanded down and the clear had a hazy look to it. Some areas had such a thick layer of paint i was having issues which reinstalling bolts ( which was not a big issue since i knew i was going to need to run a tap through to clean out the paint), but i also had clearance issues between panels. Do not hesitate to stop by some MAACOs and watch them work a little bit just to get an idea of their workmanship and to double check the work order and make sure it says exactly what you want.

Im sure others have had better experiences with MAACO, but imo MAACO is a good budget body shop if you just want your car painted. If you want a quality paint job shop around, some body shops will paint your car and do the body work for a little more than MAACO if they are not busy and need the work.

I look forward to seeing your progress some more, im looking for a new project myself. Thinking maybe an american car....

Great to see you are making progress, was your Z rear ended before? There is a lot of holes in the rear which looks like it was from a dent puller.

If you are planning on taking your car to MAACO i would suggest you stop by a couple of them and speak with the shop manager and make sure they understand what you want. I had a FC3S RX-7 before which was a similar to what you are doing, got the car sand blasted and it revealed a couple holes and dings which was previously filled in with bondo. I took it to MAACO and told the estimator i wanted to dents repaired before any paint was sprayed, when i got the car back no body work was done they primered and painted the top coat with the existing dents and the holes, i think they filled them in with a welder than grinded it down but you can clearly see small grind marks through the paint. The primer and color coat had runs in it which were not sanded down and the clear had a hazy look to it. Some areas had such a thick layer of paint i was having issues which reinstalling bolts ( which was not a big issue since i knew i was going to need to run a tap through to clean out the paint), but i also had clearance issues between panels. Do not hesitate to stop by some MAACOs and watch them work a little bit just to get an idea of their workmanship and to double check the work order and make sure it says exactly what you want.

Im sure others have had better experiences with MAACO, but imo MAACO is a good budget body shop if you just want your car painted. If you want a quality paint job shop around, some body shops will paint your car and do the body work for a little more than MAACO if they are not busy and need the work.

I look forward to seeing your progress some more, im looking for a new project myself. Thinking maybe an american car....

I'll look into it. I was told about the maacos all being different. If I have the extra money I'll go for a better place, but only time will tell I'll have to look into it. Good looking out!

Just ordered my hatch repair panel. It cost a few more bucks then I thought but I needed one so it's money well spent. Also order the intake and exhaust seals for my head. I went to go pick it up today and I guess the shops been closed since Monday >:( I should've called before driving so far, in any case I'll have to wait till Monday to pick it up and finally put it back together.

I'm off the next 4 days so hopefully I can get some work done along with the baby room I have to start on, I may order a lower rear panel where I have all the holes at instead of trying to make it look better where I might make it look worse. Just cut it out and weld in the new piece.

I remember a guy getting his 280Z painted at a shop in the Easy Bay somewhere, sounded reputable and his car looked good even though it was done on a lower budget. Search around for local body shops, I bet you'll find one that fits your needs. ;)

Found the one I was thinking of: http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/thread41992.html

I remember a guy getting his 280Z painted at a shop in the Easy Bay somewhere, sounded reputable and his car looked good even though it was done on a lower budget. Search around for local body shops, I bet you'll find one that fits your needs. ;)

Found the one I was thinking of: http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/thread41992.html

Ill look into a local place to see what they charge. I didn't want to do maaco but if its going to be around the same price since im doing 1 color and just making sure no dents show I may go with another shop. Got my hatch plate on the way today, going to need another piece down where the bumper connects too. Its so jacked up that I think theres too many holes in the bottom. I know thezstore sells it for 250 :( So I'll have to suck it up, unless you have an extra .

BTW do you have any extra L24 valves? The shop blasted mine and all the crud on the valve actually kept it together...So I have chipped valves now. I'll have to source some out, Going to attempt the bushing install today, the HELP brass ones are in the freezer since last night, so I'll have to find my torch and heat up the shifter. How was JCCS?

Ill look into a local place to see what they charge. I didn't want to do maaco but if its going to be around the same price since im doing 1 color and just making sure no dents show I may go with another shop. Got my hatch plate on the way today, going to need another piece down where the bumper connects too. Its so jacked up that I think theres too many holes in the bottom. I know thezstore sells it for 250 :( So I'll have to suck it up, unless you have an extra .

BTW do you have any extra L24 valves? The shop blasted mine and all the crud on the valve actually kept it together...So I have chipped valves now. I'll have to source some out, Going to attempt the bushing install today, the HELP brass ones are in the freezer since last night, so I'll have to find my torch and heat up the shifter. How was JCCS?

Unfortunately, I don't have that lower body piece. Maybe Tabco makes on?

I do have stock L24 valves from my E31 head, but I'm not sure if I'll need them or not. I could possibly pull some from my extra heads, but time is not on my side right now! You may be able to find some pretty cheap, there are bound to be some sources online.

JCCS was awesome, even though it was hotter-than-hell (~100deg)! I just haven't had a chance to post my pics up, let alone look at them yet. The 260Z miraculously took 3rd in "Best Z" (exc. 240Z) category!

Edited by Leon

Unfortunately, I don't have that lower body piece. Maybe Tabco makes on?

I do have stock L24 valves from my E31 head, but I'm not sure if I'll need them or not. I could possibly pull some from my extra heads, but time is not on my side right now! You may be able to find some pretty cheap, there are bound to be some sources online.

JCCS was awesome, even though it was hotter-than-hell (~100deg)! I just haven't had a chance to post my pics up, let alone look at them yet. The 260Z miraculously took 3rd in "Best Z" (exc. 240Z) category!

I found that piece on the zstore, but its used, i'll have to search around to see if I can find it. Yeah my valves are shot from the E31 head, I may have to bite the bullet and get some new ones, might be better so I don't have to deal with them possibly being bent, then I can just install them without worry. I wonder if i have to take them to the shop and have them fitted to make sure they seal?

Its always 100 deg here in Livermore LOL, your by thw water so hot to you is like 70 deg right? lol RIght on! You get your Z waxed and buffed for the show? Hopefully I can go next year, maybe I can get an award for my Z :rolleyes:

I found that piece on the zstore, but its used, i'll have to search around to see if I can find it. Yeah my valves are shot from the E31 head, I may have to bite the bullet and get some new ones, might be better so I don't have to deal with them possibly being bent, then I can just install them without worry. I wonder if i have to take them to the shop and have them fitted to make sure they seal?

Its always 100 deg here in Livermore LOL, your by thw water so hot to you is like 70 deg right? lol RIght on! You get your Z waxed and buffed for the show? Hopefully I can go next year, maybe I can get an award for my Z :rolleyes:

Look around on CL, there are often people cutting up their cars. See if you can find someone with a good panel, or even post a WTB ad here. If you're worried about valves sealing to the seat, you can lap them yourself. Just be gentle, there's no need to remove a ton of material. Verify straightness and you're set.

Shoot, 65deg is beach weather. I heard that the temps were a record high for Long Beach, you valley-dwellers are nuts! I was dripping sweat just standing there.

I did get it clayed, buffed and waxed and the paint looks so much better. I got lucky in that I called up an auto detail shop in SLO (Central Coast Auto Spa; loved these guys. If you need a detail in SLO, go to them :icon14: ) and got it in that same day, on the Friday before the show. Still haven't had time to look at my photos, I'll try to make time tonight...

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone,

Its been awhile since I posted anything, my wife is pregnant, I'm starting a new mid nov and ive been feeling really off balance as far as doing any type of responsibilities go, no motivation to do anything and I dont know why. Anyways, I have to order a new rear panel in the bumper area, after I get that Ill be ready to start welding everything together and get the car painted. I will try to get going again next week when I'm off before the new job starts.

Hey everyone,

Its been awhile since I posted anything, my wife is pregnant, I'm starting a new mid nov and ive been feeling really off balance as far as doing any type of responsibilities go, no motivation to do anything and I dont know why. Anyways, I have to order a new rear panel in the bumper area, after I get that Ill be ready to start welding everything together and get the car painted. I will try to get going again next week when I'm off before the new job starts.

Congrats on the new job!

Motivation to get started is tough sometimes. I've found that if I can make myself walk into the garage and start, I usually get on a roll and re-motivate myself.

Congrats on the new job!

Motivation to get started is tough sometimes. I've found that if I can make myself walk into the garage and start, I usually get on a roll and re-motivate myself.

Yea..problem is I take my dogs through there to the potty area. Im going to get back on it very soon, awesome thing today, I got a set of rims with tires for free! It was my going away present from my current job. My last day is tomorrow. Today they had a baby shower for me(Yes ME!) lol and I got some enkie rims that have Kumho tires on. I believe they're 16's x ? lol he siad I could use them for my Z but Its not the looks im going for, but I want to put them on anyways since they are better looking then the rims I have now. I'll take some pics and post them up a little later. Tomorrow is my last day of work so I will be going laser tagging tonight with everyone and having a beer :)