HybridZ

1970 240z Project (Very slow, money is tight)

• 2 months later...

Ok I need to get this thread and ball rolling again. I'm putting a few items up for sale so I can either save up for the paint job or save up for rims or my triples set up. Anyways its been cold lately(not as cold as other Z members have to deal with ;) ) so since I'm going to be a dad in the next 30 days or so it will be tough to get away from the baby and doing car work but I just need to get this body work done and then can send the car to get painted. I was working on a e31 head that I had at the shop but found a better one from another hz member(thanks again leon) so I'm putting the other head up for sale with some work already done to it. So hopefully I can get some more work done since I spent a few hours in the garage last night to get back on track :)

• 2 months later...

Well it's been awhile since I've had an update. It's been a rough last few months, and I don't know many people that have gone through anything like this... On Feb 13th when I was at work my wife finally went into labor, I was leaving work early that day anyways. I get home and take my wife to the hospital for the delivery...We were to supposed to have a text book delivery since we had a text book pregnancy. After we checked into the hospital and go to the room my wife wanted an epidural. She was a little dehydrated so they got an IV on her and ended up giving her some narcotic pain med instead. When my wifes water broke, we noticed the fluid was not of normal color(clearish), she had pure meconium(dark brownish and very thick). Our baby was in distress and we lost her heart beat, the Dr's rushed my wife off to the OR to do an emergency C-section. They took me aside and had me put on scrubs to be ready to go into the room, so I waited...and waited...and waited...still no word for me to go in...

The nurse came out and told me I had to speak with the Pediatrician, so he took me into a room that was quiet, the Dr. came in and sat me down to what will now be the hardest, most awful thing that has happened to me in my entire life. My Baby was born at 3:56pm on Feb 13th, she was born without a heart beat, wasn't breathing, and was anemic and suffering from seizures from the anemia. I asked what caused this and at that moment they couldn't really give me an answer until they got back some results from the placenta being tested, I had to go break the news to my wife who was in recovery and didn't even know what was going on since she was asleep for the whole procedure. We were both devastated and in complete shock that this happened to us since we didn't everything right, and we had no issues for the whole pregnancy. The Dr wanted to transfer her to another hospital to do this special cooling method on her since she was having seizures and wasn't sure what was going on with her brain, I sign the paper to get her over to the other hospital.

With my baby and wife being transfered to the other hospital, I went home to take the dogs out and on my way tot he next hospital, it was about 1:30am on feb 14th when I got to the other hospital to be with my wife and to take her down to the NICU to see our baby girl. The DR. we spoke with said things looked bleak... Our hearts dropped and we started crying, all we had left to do was wait to see what happened. The next time we heard from the Dr was at 6:00am the next morning, he had called our room to wake us and told us we better come down stairs to see our daughter because she wasn't going to last much longer... My wife and I go down to the NICU, the staff had set her up in a private room for us to see her and hold her and speak with her...we were prepared from the very beginning of the pregnancy for bringing our daughter home to hold her, play with her, and lover her...In no way were we prepared to say good bye to her, as I sit her typing this tears are filling my eyes. I don't talk much about this and typing seemed to be better for me to get this out. My wife and I took turns holding her, talking to her, loving her, but as any parent would say, No parent should ever say good bye to their child. At about 7:30am on Feb 14th my daughter Delilah Sage Lau-Darabian passed away in my arms... 

I had many plans to have my daughter and I work on the car together, go drive together, maybe get her to be a mechanical engineer one day. She passed away from a rare thing called Fetomaternal hemorrhage, it is when the placenta for some reason reverses the blood flow, so our baby's blood was being transfered to my wife. And because of the blood loss, she became anemic and then got seizures, and her organs started to shut down. The Dr's said it had either happened that day to a week when the transfusion started. There isn't much known about it, just that it is one of those rare things that no Dr knows why, but it shouldn't happen again.

I have been taking care of my wife for the last 2 months to get her up physically and emotionally. It's very quiet in my house, and its very uncomfortable, so I have to have the tv on all the time for sound and to keep me busy when I wasn't taking care of my wife. She is now physically better and will be returning to work next week, I have been at work and Im looking to get in the garage as to stay busy since I just don't talk to much right now. I hide my anger and my sadness, and I just want to bring my wife down talking about what happened. I needed to pour myself into writing something and my thread seemed like the place to do it even though I didn't put an update yet. And I do have one, just wanted to get this off my chest first. It will be 2 months on April 14th for how old my daughter would've been, hopefully I can stay busy that day...

Edited by Perfect240z

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it looks like I lied and haven't been able to do any work yet.  I've been trying to catch up on doing some yard work before I can get to work.  a few people contacted me about my cylinder heads, so that will get me going to either purchase my rims or get the money to renting the dry ice blaster.  But if i get my rims I can sell the Enkie92s on my car now.  to make some money back.

• 3 weeks later...

Been taking a break from body work and sanding recently.  So I decided to rebuild the E31 head while I figure out what days I'll have available to rent the soda blaster I decided to go with.  I was originally planning to rent a dry ice blaster, but renting it is $700 after taxes and thats not worth it at all.  Instead the same place offers a soda blaster for $250 a day which is much more reasonable and the clean up is still really easy.  Has anyone every used this product?

• 5 months later...

Well this year has been the worst year of my life.  With loss of my daughter back in feb, I haven't been much of do'er in almost anything.  Work doesn't make it any easier since I work at an animal shelter and occasionally have to euthanize animals.  I was recently diagnosed with hypothyroid(the fat tired one).  I am on meds now, and it is making a world of difference, basically like night and day.  I have been coming home from work and actually getting house stuff done(cleaning and such).  I had the urge to start cleaning the garage and getting back to work on the car, I took some pics of what the garage looked like before and after.  Hopefully I can get this car going again soon.

post-15914-0-76044500-1381206157_thumb.jpg I bought a new fire from home depot from the clearance section.

post-15914-0-46571700-1381206231_thumb.jpg

post-15914-0-56007300-1381208068_thumb.jpgThis took more then a day btw...

post-15914-0-73631700-1381206294_thumb.jpgMy work/restaurant wasn't even usable.

post-15914-0-84691700-1381208142_thumb.jpgNow I can actually use the table

post-15914-0-63441800-1381206321_thumb.jpg

post-15914-0-75209500-1381208092_thumb.jpg upgraded doors haven't gone in the house yet.

post-15914-0-98893800-1381206411_thumb.jpgHad so much donations piling up too

post-15914-0-72258000-1381208116_thumb.jpgAll gone, now I don't have to walk around stuff.

post-15914-0-14586500-1381208192_thumb.jpg

post-15914-0-41611300-1381208246_thumb.jpg

post-15914-0-12436900-1381208312_thumb.jpg

post-15914-0-36294900-1381208334_thumb.jpg

post-15914-0-58353100-1381208368_thumb.jpg

post-15914-0-83120200-1381208393_thumb.jpg

Even had time to put up all my cool hotwheels I've been collecting, and a little piece of art a really good friend got me.

I should start a garage cleaning business lol

Edited by Perfect240z

Well tonight I started actually working on the car again.  I decided to tackle the rear hatch since it's sitting there with paint on it and panel, should be easy right...?

post-15914-0-15814200-1381563234_thumb.jpg

post-15914-0-54979300-1381563313_thumb.jpgTook me at least 20 min to get the panel off.  Some smart P/O decided to use silicon(possibly?) on this panel with screws so I did get some cracks in the plastic :(

post-15914-0-00120100-1381563289_thumb.jpgThis must be a new kind of aftermarket part.  I didn't know putting carboard in a hatch could make the car go so fast...  think they meant to stuff garbage in the hatch?

post-15914-0-20402000-1381563335_thumb.jpgpost-15914-0-74449900-1381563381_thumb.jpgpost-15914-0-37566600-1381563440_thumb.jpg Look at all this paint start to get eaten off. 

Well thats it for tonight, I got a little work done and I have work in the morning.  Until next time.

Same Z time...!

Same Z channel..!

• 1 month later...

I got some work done on the Z in the last week and a half.  Im trying to get as much of this paint off as I possibly can...without removing the glass from the hatch itself.  I don't know what anyone thinks of that idea, but Im seeing what can be done with saving a little bit of time in each part of the project to get this car back on the road.  post-15914-0-35476000-1384245589_thumb.jpg

I also finished putting the cylinder head back together, the head is clean, the valves, springs, shims and keepers I cleaned in my garage with carb cleaner, rags and a bit to get some carbon deposits off, it's not perfect but it will do to get that motor put back together and driving, I would;nt call it a rebuild, but a refreshening :)  An actual rebuild will come once I have driven the car for a little while ;)

post-15914-0-54927200-1384245559_thumb.jpg

In the last few weeks I have picked up some goodies...for myself and the car.  I needed some motivation so I got myself a dicast model of a 240z from JADA toys, supposed to be rare, but I liked it so I putting together a little shadow box and something to make the car stand out for the background photo.

post-15914-0-58906300-1384245463_thumb.jpgpost-15914-0-39554400-1384245511_thumb.jpg

I also picked up what I have really wanted from the start of seeing one of these from Spitz17 Fairlady, a Datsun Competition steering wheel.  I definitely can't afford to purchase an authentic version for over 1k in price, but I did manage to scrounge up some cash to purchase the new remake.  It does come with a new horn pad, but I will be swapping the horn pad for my original datsun horn pad or source a NOS one online.  I think this complements the car so well and it feels nice in your hand, I never liked the newer steering wheels that I have been seeing, but a retro race look is spectacular and I couldn't resist buying it once I saw it back on the market. post-15914-0-51452500-1384245904_thumb.jpg

Last note is I have been driving my new Focus ST for almost 6 months now, and the car is a blast to drive.  With 252 hp turbo 2.0L 4 banger, its giving my smiles to work and back, and for a little beach trip up to Sonoma.  I even landed in the middle of LSx driving group and stayed with them till they got a bit to crazy with those turns by a cliff, since the wife was with me I pulled off to the side to let them pass after a little fun, But I must say I couldn't be happier with a quick car that is comfortable, roomy, and you have to love a hatch back with all that space available getting the sand out of your shoes :)  post-15914-0-47864100-1384246147_thumb.jpgpost-15914-0-27077000-1384246190_thumb.jpg

Until I write again...which hopefully is soon!