HybridZ

1970 240z Project (Very slow, money is tight)

Good progress.

I recommend to remove hatch glass. There often rust spot at the bottom of window. You might want to get rid of entire rust.

I should...I haven't found any rust at all on the hatch, so we'll see...the right way would be to remove it.  But I also need to see if I can't get all of the paint off from around the rubber gasket around the glass...if I cant, then its a time to remove the window....

I should...I haven't found any rust at all on the hatch, so we'll see...the right way would be to remove it.  But I also need to see if I can't get all of the paint off from around the rubber gasket around the glass...if I cant, then its a time to remove the window....

I'd remove the glass, carefully. Cleaning and painting the hatch will be way easier and afterwards you can clean up the stainless trim and install a new gasket. ;)

I'd remove the glass, carefully. Cleaning and painting the hatch will be way easier and afterwards you can clean up the stainless trim and install a new gasket. ;)

Yea...i'll have to cut carefully.  It was a pain in the ass to get the windshield out, I'll just pay a car window place to put them back in lol.

• 1 month later...

I have been really bad at updating, Im now a supervisor at PD in the animal services bureau, I always have to stay late and finish up work...BOOO!  

My co supervisor will be heading out on maternity leave in Feb, but our boss wants to get me out on a short vacation before  we're short handed.  So in Jan I will have 5 days off of nothing but working on the car, Im really excited!! Ive been planning on renting this Soda blaster for the engine bay for a year now...and that day will arrive the second week of January I think.  I'll def be taking photos and a video to update my blog.  Not much else has happened, half of the hatch is to bare metal still, but its been so cold here lately...(23 degress, not cold to some but in Cali thats deathly cold lol) that I don't want to go to the garage.

• 1 month later...

Well it's the beginning of the new year and I have already done more work then last year.  I've removed the hatch, removed the glass without breaking it, and removed all the paint from the hatch itself.  Pics will come tomorrow hopefully.  

I've been meaning to remove all the fuel and brake lines to finish up the paint removal from the engine bay, and today was the day, I started at 4pm and worked till 10pm.  I did take a dinner and tv break ofcourse lol, but I must say, removing the lines while having the suspension and diff etc in...sucks big A hole...Screws rusted, brake lines rusted in the rear and had to be cut(I wanted to save those and have new lines made custom) on top of that even with the car on rollers there's not that much room under there to work.  In any case, Im about 99% done with the removal, I just have to unhook the springs that are holding the lines up and then I'll be done.  

We just did our taxes and were getting a nice refund, after we get our PMI removed off the house and get some new flooring for the kitchen, i'll be looking for a place to the get this SOB painted!  It's about time I can say this, I'll be trying to get the welding of the body panels done in the garage with a friend, but if not I may ask to see what the extra charge is for the welding to be done at the shop...I'd like to save money though, so hopefully I don't have to if my friend comes through for me.

The E31 head is all back together, I just need to order my gasket kit, and a timing chain kit+new rockers and I can put the motor back together.  It sounds like im close to more then 50% done...But I don't think so ha!  It's nice to really get my hands dirty again, maybe I can really pull this off (fingers crossed) and drive the car in 2014(we all say this is the year). This is the year!! :)

My first Saturday off in awhile, thanks to my new schedule :)  I was able to work on the Z for about 6 hours today, alot of work done.  Even though you won't be able to tell from photos :P   I haven't heard back from any of the paint shops I contacted, wonder why they don't want to take my money lol.  

Next pay day 'll be ordering my engine rebuild kit with all the gaskets and a timing kit.  I have to make sure to switch up what im doing every so often so I don't get burned out just doing the same part of the project as im sure we all experience.

post-15914-0-30213300-1393134550_thumb.jpg

post-15914-0-39742900-1393134570_thumb.jpg

post-15914-0-45556300-1393134622_thumb.jpg

post-15914-0-10197700-1393134691_thumb.jpg

post-15914-0-43182200-1393134721_thumb.jpg

post-15914-0-67846600-1393134776_thumb.jpg

post-15914-0-81503900-1393134859_thumb.jpg

post-15914-0-14878800-1393134883_thumb.jpg

post-15914-0-13884600-1393134902_thumb.jpg

Hood has been sitting for so long i had to start removing a little surface rust before sending it with the rest of the car to paint...once the shops reply to me with quotes and I pick one.

Edited by Perfect240z

Im trying! lol tomorrow might be a good night to get some work done.  Friday is pay day so I might be ordering my engine rebuild gasket kit.  Have to pay some bills first, then we'll see what we have left to play with lol.  

BTW removing the fuel and brake lines with the diff in...yea thats going to have to come out before I can drive the car.  Now I wonder if I should just replace all suspension and put a different diff in since I have to remove everything anyways?  Thoughts anyone?

Hello from Windsor, Canada. I have owned 4 240z and know them well. If you have a solid body, little rust especially frame rails, battery tray, etc., you're off to a great start. Unless the engine has been rebuilt, it will need it and that's including the head. Now you can look for deals for a swap, get the head rebuilt, etc., but if you have never worked on a Z , don't do the work yourself. One mistake with cam timing and you'll smack a valve and $$$$$$. For $3000, you can bring your engine to Datsun Spirit and get back a completely rebuilt engine, done right.

In the long run, you're better off.

Hello from Windsor, Canada. I have owned 4 240z and know them well. If you have a solid body, little rust especially frame rails, battery tray, etc., you're off to a great start. Unless the engine has been rebuilt, it will need it and that's including the head. Now you can look for deals for a swap, get the head rebuilt, etc., but if you have never worked on a Z , don't do the work yourself. One mistake with cam timing and you'll smack a valve and $$$$$$. For $3000, you can bring your engine to Datsun Spirit and get back a completely rebuilt engine, done right.

In the long run, you're better off.

I've gone through most of that on the car,  If you read back, I got my early Z for free from a client of mine.  It does have rust as most Z's do, but the fact that when my client got the car from ebay wasn't the best idea since I found all the rust, and the fact it was covered in bondo...

I haven't done any engine builds before, but being that this site, and classic Z, and atlantic Z car have so much info, plus I have the factory manuals, the Z motor rebuild+performance book(not needed yet) and i know some guys who have rebuilt Z motors.  Im not too worried since I would take the time and my du diligence to not mess up :)

I saw the Datsun spirit site, they have some awesome builds.  If I go for a shop, I would go Rebello Racing since the shop is only maybe 45min to an hour away max.  I will be having an L28 built professionally after my Z is back on the road.

I recommend rebuilding the motor yourself. It is a super simple build and is a good one to use as your first build. Just be sure to have a friend who you can call to help interpret terms in the manual that might be new or vague, ie TDC, run-out, lash, etc.

I recommend rebuilding the motor yourself. It is a super simple build and is a good one to use as your first build. Just be sure to have a friend who you can call to help interpret terms in the manual that might be new or vague, ie TDC, run-out, lash, etc.

And thats what I was planning on doing.  I know a few people to ask, I want to rebuild it to learn more and more.  

My rebuild kit came in the mail yesterday from the z store.  I need to find some gaskets for the oiler bar and I should be good on gaskets.  I may paint the block this weekend if I can find the time...it is pretty rainy right now, so I may get a day to sit in and just work :)

• 1 month later...

VIdeo is up!  It took me awhile to make this video since my wife kept bringing things to paint in the garage and took my whole free area.  My head bolts, oil pan screws, and timing cover bolt kit are all on the way to my house.  I have my gasket kit, rocker arms, timing kit and engine block painted.  

My wife may have thrown away the business card of the paint shop near me(booooo).  Im trying to schedule them to come see the car for a quote, but its normally on a monday and I'm not off on mondays unfortunately...

Once I have the motor put together I'll be ordering my special part I've been dreaming about.  It will bring me one step closer to getting the car on the road, I'll be able to use it when I go for a performance build :)  Kameari Intake manifold.

• 5 weeks later...

Been really busy at work the last few weeks, with no employees  to help out I've been having to go in on my day off for some OT.  This week was the Maddies adoption event.  All pet adoptions are free to qualified homes, getting all the animals fixed and everything else has had me at work 12-13 hours with only a few min to eat my lunch, then back to work.  I need to get the ball rolling!!!

Update: Since im going to have to pull out the rear suspension when I install the new break and fuel lines, I'm going to be getting TTT suspension set up and start looking for a Subi LSD Diff.  May as put all the god stuff in instead of build up little by little.  It will push the car back longer but then I don't have to worry later on switching out the diff or suspension.