HybridZ

Turbo Auto oil cooler adapter plate

jthom5147

Okay,

I started reading on here that the factory oil cooler adapter from 280zx turbo automatic cars has a different threaded stud and oil configuration than all other l-series engines.

I bought a built l28et engine with this factory oil cooler adapter installed. I don't wanna trash a good engine by not investigating and making sure that the adapter plate was properly installed.

I've read some other threads like this one l24 oil cooler convert. Maybe I'm dense but im having trouble understanding how to identify the difference between the two to double check my block.

I do not have a photo of my oil cooler adapter installed convenient. If one is required to help, I'll procure one. I can say that the block has the adapter attached and the banjo bolts are threaded into the adapter also.

What specifically is the difference between the two studs?

Is the ball valve supposed to be modified at all?

please help!

Thank you,

James

Edited by jthom5147

i was reading thisand that better illuminates my question. But that still leaves the question of what the visual differences are between the two types of studs.

And begs another question, what potential harm could come if my block still has the relief valve and the oil cooler installed?

• 5 years later...

Ok, so I was removing the oil adapter on my 280zxt auto block and noticed the oil relief valve is actually installed in the sandwich plate and none in the block. I know there is a valve also in the oil pump, but is there any harm running with just one?

So when folks use the sandwich plate on their NA blocks do they remove the one in the block? Just curios on this one.

Edit: I'm running this engine on an engine stand and will be installing the oil cooler at a later date.

I'm assuming no harm based on these just curious on others thoughts.

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/119560-l28et-oil-cooler-blockoff/?hl=cooler

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/62327-280zxt-oil-filter-housing/?p=577101

Edited by JSM