HybridZ

Use stock choke assembly on V8 conversion?

Just bought a Series 1 1971 with a 350 SBC. Has a Rochester 4bbl carb.

The car came without the choke assembly on the console. I am attempting to restore the inside to as close to stock as possible, so I've been looking for the missing pieces.

Can the stock choke assembly be used with other carbs, or does it only work with the stock carb?

Thanks!

I used to have the choke cable you need laying around somewhere.

Are you running an automatic transmission? I don't see how you could run a manual and still use the original center-console (unless you cut it to pieces). I know, I just completed the swap on a rear-hatch-vents 1971.

Why not just use an electric choke? I love mine, tap the gas pedal once and let it rip.

This is my console right now:

ui2ik8e25ec6c20viewattth1312bb6f30e.jpg?t=1311183975

It has a muncie 4 speed manual transmission and it comes up in the correct place. The spots for the choke lever are still there. They were just covered up with carpet.

I bought the car this way, I don't know what is what yet. The heads were off of it when I bought it and I need to get it running. I'm trying to piece together the stuff that should be there, bit by bit.

Is that what most people do with their conversions, run them with an electric choke?

Is that what most people do with their conversions, run them with an electric choke?

I don't feel qualified to speak for "most people," but I will say that the electric choke is pretty much the "easiest" way to go: set it and forget it. It's also very easy to wire-in, just need a 12v+ lead and then ground it to the body of the intake or carb and you're done.