HybridZ

Tell me if there's anything wrong with my combo before I commit

turboHLS30

I'm having problems find a decent L28et in my area. So I was planning on taking my L24 block, put a P79 head with L28et cam and intake, and put all of my turbo parts on it. If you see any faults in my plan let me know, and possibly recommend a part to replace it. I just don't want to get it together and realize that a setup like this yields a 11:1 compression or something (That's an exaggeration) Any help is appreciated :D

Try this: http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/calcs/engine%20builder/index.html

and this: http://www.zcarcreations.com/downloads/lengine.zip

Play around with different combos and see what you get with what you got before you get too far. It might end up costing you more in the end than buying an L28ET.

Keep us posted :2thumbs:

Try this: http://www.atlanticz...lder/index.html

and this: http://www.zcarcreat...ads/lengine.zip

Play around with different combos and see what you get with what you got before you get too far. It might end up costing you more in the end than buying an L28ET.

Keep us posted :2thumbs:

Will do thanks :D

If the P79 is in good shape and has never been apart, leave the cam it has in it.

I swapped a p79 for a p90 and back and have noticed no difference in performance at 8psi boost levels.

Well from what I read, the exhaust valves are bigger in the P90, and the P90 cam has a longer duration. That's what I read, it could be wrong though. I'm planning on running upwards of 15psi. I'm building the car for the Grassroots Motorsports $2011 Challenge, and I'd like to finish mid-pack burnout.gif

The stock turbo cam has it's pit falls i.e. lack on the mid- high RPM. From my experience a 260 cam is a better stock option. But if you are pressed for time/money just go with what you have.

There are a few posts about which cam is "better" but if its just a mild build you should be fine with what ever just make sure you keep the oil setup correct for the cam (internal/ spray bar or both).

Here's a breakdown of my setup:

P30 block (L24)

P79 head (Port & Polished, and cleaned up)

Supra 440cc injectors

Pallnet Fuel Rail

Megasquirt v2.2

FMIC

T3/T04 turbo

Possibly meth injection

Possibly a 60mm throttle body

Like I said, I'm doing the GRM $2011 Challenge and so far I've only spent $1035.96. I have room for an aftermarket cam, head bolts, rod bolts, and any other little thing to take that extra step to make 300hp.

I found a guy that is coming down and picking up a 280z mootor for free and I'm supposed to buy the block from him for $50 so I'm most likely going to do that. I'm in a time crunch right now though because school starts on the 22nd and I need it running before then, and I won't be able to get the block until the 13th. Which leaves me with 9 days to wire megasquirt, run fuel lines, get it running, etc. So I'd like to use my current block and a P79 head just so I can start wiring everything and getting it running so that it's just a matter of swapping out blocks when I get it running.

You were concerned about compression ratio. From my research (I am using a P79 on my 3.1 build), stock chamber volume of P79 is 53.5cc. Assume a 1mm thick head gasket, and you end up with a total chamber volume of 55.2cc. Swept volume of L24 with standard bore of 83mm would be 398.8cc. 398.8/55.2 gives you a static compression ratio of 7.48/1. Everything I have read says the P79 flows pretty damn well, despite the exhaust liners. All of these numbers change as you increase bore, increase/or decrease combustion chamber volume.

There's my two cents. (might be worth a penny!)

I wouldn't recommend the l24 block either. If your spending that kind of money right off the start , begin with something with a little more cubic inches. You might be able to get away with swapping a 260 0r 280 crank to a l24 block to give you a 2.6 liter AKA 260z platform. I would recommend new head bolts and the 240sx 60mm throttlebodie upgrade. Thats just my 2 cents, It isnt worth much but can point you in the right direction. Good luck on your build.

Just checked my math, must be getting old. Assuming flat top pistons.

L24 with standard bore, and P79 head, 1mm head gasket would yield 6.7/1 (398.8 swept area, 53.5cc combustion chamber, 1mm head gasket)

L28 with standard bore, and P79 head, 1mm head gasket would yield 7.65/1(458.9 swept area, 53.5cc combustion chamber, 1mm head gasket)

Somebody get me a new pair of glasses, or a new calculator!

I wouldn't recommend the l24 block either. If your spending that kind of money right off the start , begin with something with a little more cubic inches. You might be able to get away with swapping a 260 0r 280 crank to a l24 block to give you a 2.6 liter AKA 260z platform. I would recommend new head bolts and the 240sx 60mm throttlebodie upgrade. Thats just my 2 cents, It isnt worth much but can point you in the right direction. Good luck on your build.

Ok, well the L24 might just be temporary if I get this F54. If anything I will just swap heads and start wiring MS and drive it like that until I get the F54 cleaned up. Once it get's running with the F54 block then the L24 will be a back up just incase I do something stupid, or it blows.

• 3 weeks later...

There's nothing "wrong" with that combo. And I'd echo others to just run whatever cam you have. If you have a "a" cam from a 240Z head then go with that, as it's actually shown to make good power in turbo application.

Either L24 block or L28, 300hp with that turbo and MS2.2 shouldn't be an impossible goal. In fact since it's a GRM challenge I'd be shooting for like 350 whp with a L28 bottom end.

Some people have had success with the liner'ed P79, but you can also remove the liners for sanity if you'd like. There's people all over the internet that seem to have really bought into this myth about the P90 being some amazing head that's the "only" head to use for turbo application, and this couldn't be further from the truth. ANY L head can do just fine in turbo application provided the compression ratio is in the ballpark and you've got the means to tune it, which you DO.

I've had plenty of P79's and a couple P90's now and I really can't see any reason the P90 should flow considerably better than the P79. I'd even venture to guess (out my guess hole of course) that there's less than a 2% difference in flow which just isn't worth the headache people make it.

+1 on decent bolts and stroking your L24 if needed. Definitely fits into your budget.

Also a good headgasket.

I don't see why you COULDN'T sit around 350hp with your setup. Just make sure you put some time into tuning. 9 days will be tight for the MS install/tune.