HybridZ

my subframe build

Hey, so recently I had been building a new subframe for my ZX, finished it, and I figure I'll show you guys what all I've done with it.

first, the finished product:

264982_240421129303728_100000075273173_1023656_4606712_n.jpg

and a short break-down of what I've done:

toe adjustability(using Z31 eccentric bolts and brackets):

248341_225312924147882_100000075273173_961828_6511591_n.jpg

camber adjustability(using Cressida eccentric bolts and custom brackets):

247912_225312994147875_100000075273173_961829_4601762_n.jpg

solid subframe bushings (using S13 subframe bushings turned down a little bit):

264544_240994485913059_100000075273173_1028585_1589812_n.jpg

Viscous Limited Slip Differential from a Z32, and case from an SE V6 S12 (must swap pinion flange to work with stock style driveshaft)

189561_209855825693592_100000075273173_845356_1880558_n.jpg

and custom CV axles (don't have a pic of these)

I also deleted the rear sway bar (I run super stiff spring rates to compensate for trying to get rid of squat so it was causing a lot of oversteer, and was also the lowest part of my car)

however, I am regretting the CV axle conversion, as the boot is VERY close to the frame rail at my chosen ride height (~4" suspension drop) and has already torn both outer CV boots from rubbing when I go into driveways and such. I'm probably going to have an adaptor turned out so I can run the regular R200 halfshafts with the VLSD side axles.

• 2 weeks later...

What coilovers are you on?

And I just got my stuff back from the sandblasters today. I'm not lowering my car that much so I'm not going to be doing the offset bolts. I am going with the solid subframe bushings though.

Still don't know what I'm going to do with for a diff. I want to get the 4.11 r180, but I also would like to use the guts of a shortnose r200 and transfer them into a carrier like you did. Unless I can find a z31 CLSD( not likely).

Edited by BluDestiny

the offset bolts for camber are still a great addition, that way you can dial some out (no matter what, if your car is lowered at all, it will have some camber) or at least even it up side-to-side

R200 parts won't fit in an R180 I don't think.

just get a 3.9 R200 from a '82-'83 280ZX, you probably wouldn't even be able to tell the difference between the two ratios anyways.

anyways, I built my own in the front (koni reds, GC sleeves, 6k springs), and am using Megan Street S13 coilovers in the back with 10k springs (want to move to 12k with PBM or Megan Track dampers though)

Edited by PurePontiacKid

• 2 weeks later...

Pontiac kid... im loving your ride!!!! a s130 brother .. but pure stylemastering!! As deleting the sway bar wont make it handle better. yet i love it thta low .. to bad i cant have it that low and still hanle without cutting up the entire car :S

haha thanks man, I actually prefer the way my car drives without the rear bar as opposed to with the stock one. with it on, the car just seems to want to rotate quite scarily, without it, it drives much more balanced and controlled, although I'm still dialing spring rates in and whatnot.

I love the way my car handles, even as low as it is, it's still not lowered that much compared to how most guys with S13's and whatnot lower their cars to get to this height.

I've actually taken my car out to the track since my last post (drifting), and I love the way the car reacts out there, but I think I've over sprung my Megan Street coilovers when I put the 10kg/mm springs on them, so I'm looking into either PBM or Megan Track dampers (really would prefer the PBM's though) and maybe step up to 12kg/mm in the back.

Here we go with the anti-stretch stuff.....

tbh, I usually don't even track my car on these wheels (hard to find a place that can mount the tires haha) and when I do some streeting, the car handles just fine. it's not like 195's are smaller than stock anyways, and the DZ101's I'm running are amazing, so I'm happy with it.

Edited by PurePontiacKid

8" front, 10" rear, 195/50-15 all around. You mad bro?

Kind of looks like those chicks that you see in photos wearing size 10 jeans when they have size 18 hips.

Not mad, couldn't give a ****, let me guess, have you got that plastic brembo brake caliper covers also - since it all appears to be about looks rather than the performance

Alright, people like what they like. Leave it at that please, as this arguement has already been done. On topic, I like what you've done with the subframe. This is what I would've been looking into before I decided to swap the subframe out. Maybe on the next one.

Kind of looks like those chicks that you see in photos wearing size 10 jeans when they have size 18 hips.

Not mad, couldn't give a ****, let me guess, have you got that plastic brembo brake caliper covers also - since it all appears to be about looks rather than the performance

Nah bro, I got the aluminum Wilwood ones, BALLIN'!

I like how you call out how my car is more about looks than performance... in this thread of all threads where I literally show all the high performance mods I've just finished on my rear subframe. Good job.