HybridZ

Rota Shakotans.... anyone running them?

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not running them, but I am thinking about it. I think 15x9 zero offset would be too narrow for a Z with ZG flares. They do have the -10 offset which would be better (especially in the rear). I could see the 15x9 zero offset working up front with the ZG Flares. Another issue would be tire size, or lack of wide tires for 15 inch wheels. A 225/50/15 is a size with good options and would not be very stretched on a 9 inch wheel. My situation is that I have slight flaring in the rear of my Z but it is totally stock up front. I am thinking 15x8 zero offset in the front with a 205/55/15 and a 15x9 positive 10 offset in the rear with 225/50/15 would work for my car but I am too cheap to try it out!

The picture you are using are of actual Hayashi Streets, the Rota's are a very good knock-off. I think I like them even more with a solid colored center.

newwheels005.jpg

The below image shows a very sexy Detomaso Mangusta with similar wheels, the Hayashi Street's from Japan are actually knock-offs of these Italian wheels!

DeTomaso-Mangusta_mp188_pic_47235.jpg

Pretty much.

I'm trying to get close to this fitment:

4493360160_3cb112319a_b.jpg

But those are real Hayashis.

Thanks Comic. I tried finding a picture of a Z with Shakotans several times to no avail. You wouldn't happen to be able to come up with any more pictures of the same car by chance?

It's funny, but I came to the conclusion that if I opted for larger wheels/flares (with 400hp this may become an inevitability) that I wanted Shakotans after finding some on ebay, loved the period correct look and the larger sizes available. Searched all around here, including going through the 68 page wheel thread page by page twice, and came up empty handed. Now a week later and there is a thread going on them. My biggest concern, as mentioned above, is tire choice. It seems that the widest tire you are going to find is a 225. Not sure what tires are on the Z pictured above, but they look awfully stretched, which is not really the look that I am going for, but with moving up to 16" though you really don't have that much better of a tire selection, you start to run out of nice looking vintage styled rim options, and you are on the verge of looking too big. At 17" your tire options really open, but you are now at the point were you going to have a non-period correct rim, and are starting to look like you are rolling on dubs. So 15" may be the lesser of all evils.

Hopefully selling the JDM gold mesh Enkeis currently on my car will offset the cost a good bit if I decided to make the move. At 14" and running 205 tires I have a feeling that it is just not going to be enough tire once I get the car moving.

Edited by tommott77

If that is the look you are after than 15x9 minus 10 offset Rota's would be your most affordable option. IMHO, the real Hayashi's like the ones in the picture are a little wider but not worth the extra 2 grand it would cost you to purchase them.

Thanks Comic. I tried finding a picture of a Z with Shakotans several times to no avail. You wouldn't happen to be able to come up with any more pictures of the same car by chance?

It's funny, but I came to the conclusion that if I opted for larger wheels/flares (with 400hp this may become an inevitability) that I wanted Shakotans after finding some on ebay, loved the period correct look and the larger sizes available. Searched all around here, including going through the 68 page wheel thread page by page twice, and came up empty handed. Now a week later and there is a thread going on them. My biggest concern, as mentioned above, is tire choice. It seems that the widest tire you are going to find is a 225. Not sure what tires are on the Z pictured above, but they look awfully stretched, which is not really the look that I am going for, but with moving up to 16" though you really don't have that much better of a tire selection, you start to run out of nice looking vintage styled rim options, and you are on the verge of looking too big. At 17" your tire options really open, but you are now at the point were you going to have a non-period correct rim, and are starting to look like you are rolling on dubs. So 15" may be the lesser of all evils.

Hopefully selling the JDM gold mesh Enkeis currently on my car will offset the cost a good bit if I decided to make the move. At 14" and running 205 tires I have a feeling that it is just not going to be enough tire once I get the car moving.

I think the reason you're having trouble finding pictures is because the wheels are fairly new. I'm sure some will surface eventually...

I'm in the same boat as you. I'd like to run wider wheels but for the same reasons as you am feeling a bit stuck. Problem with 15s is the even in 225/50-15 the street tire selection is fairly limited. If you want to run real wide tires 245/50-16 is a good size with plenty of options, this is the route I will probably end up going... if I can ever find 16x9 or x10 for a reasonably cheap price....

Mickey Thompson has some pretty wide 15" street radials...

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/street.php?item=SportsmanST

Really looking for an overall performance, as opposed to an all-season, tire as my car will see some auto-x action, and will make a couple trips up to the Tail Of The Dragon in Deals Gap a couple times a year. A bit curious about those tires though. I thought I have seen those tires listed as drag radials before. No mention of it on their website though. If it is a drag tire, I doubt that the sidewall would up to what I would put the tire though.

Mickey Thompson also have Drag Radials, the ones in the link are not them.

These are the Street Radial II, just not real wide in the 15"

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/strip.php?item=ETStreetRadialII'>http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/strip.php?item=ETStreetRadialII

The Drag Radials

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/strip.php?item=ETDragRadial

Then there's the ET Street Radial:

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/strip.php?item=ETStreetRadial

Some of these are more for drag racing than corner carving though.

I just posted the first link (a couple posts up) to give options for wide 15". I'm sure they would perform well, though I don't have any first hand experience with those particular tires.

I found a ton of info on that white car once, a whole write up and a bunch of shots...I'll see if I can find it again. It's in Australia I believe, and was recently up for sale. Good looking car, very low and very aggressive setup and camber, probably too much so for a lot of the guys here haha.

Reggg, what size wheels and tires?

looks like 15x8 and 205 50 all around?

i would appreciate anymore pics, you are the first Z ive seen with these rotas.

they're actually 15x9 0 offsets all around. i went with 195/50/15's because i thought i would need the stretch to fit them but i could have easily fit them with 205s

5995881438_6ed4d14635_o.jpg

5995880778_e4e547f260_o.jpg