HybridZ

Rota Shakotans.... anyone running them?

Mechanic is telling me I need 10mm spacers in the front. I don't think he's right though. what's the clearance like for you guys?

I've just got 8mm spacers on mine and it clears just fine, no issues and I've pushed this car hard. It's definitely tight though. 

Is he saying that you actually won't clear? Or just that he'd like you to have a bit more space to be safe.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just got 8mm spacers on mine and it clears just fine, no issues and I've pushed this car hard. It's definitely tight though. 

Is he saying that you actually won't clear? Or just that he'd like you to have a bit more space to be safe.

Talked to him today. Still tells me it's rubbing even though I tell him that it shouldnt. I think it's clearing fine but they won't do it because of liability.

Talked to him today. Still tells me it's rubbing even though I tell him that it shouldnt. I think it's clearing fine but they won't do it because of liability.

Yeah that's possible, the tire shop I went to said the same thing. I just installed them on my own at home.

It either rubs or it doesn't. Mounting wheels on the car should be something you can do yourself. Then you know for sure and can source spacers yourself. Not something to argue over with a paid mechanic if he has proven helpful on other, more complicated issues.

Ok guys here is where I am at. I have decided to do all the work to my car myself vs paying a mechanic money to do it. I am planning on replacing the struts, springs, and front studs. Is this a hard job for a beginner?

Also in relation with the wheels. I jacked the car up tonight and slid the front wheel on to see how much clearance I would have and it was next to nothing. Will this get better once I set the car down (Dont have new nuts or studs yet, so I couldnt set it down)? Oh and the rear wheel clears fine.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3Q64Xk2VqjoR21VSTRxMk5KdEk/view?usp=sharing

There seems to also be a lot of fender gap on the rear wheel. So I am assuming it will be a problem in the front.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3Q64Xk2VqjocXl4ejF6ZFI5Qk0/view?usp=sharing

I know lowering the car an inch hoping it will help, so I was looking at getting some lowering springs as I can not afford coilovers. Would lowering the car an inch cause any problems? Would I get more clearance in the front from doing it? Would this strut and spring set up work? I already purchased the struts from Autozone, but can still return them. 

Springs- http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/classic20c01/23-4042

Struts- http://www.autozone.com/suspension-steering-tire-and-wheel/shock-strut-front/kyb-excel-g-shock-strut-front/nissan-datsun/280z/1977/6-cylinders-h-2-8l-fi/734939_493261_2942/

http://www.autozone.com/suspension-steering-tire-and-wheel/shock-strut-rear/kyb-excel-g-shock-strut-rear/nissan-datsun/280z/1977/6-cylinders-h-2-8l-fi/734947_453201_2942/

If there is any information I missed just let me know. 

I got the wheels on today with not rubbing at all. She is tight, but she clears. Have the correct lug nuts coming tomorrow and a new starter Tuesday. She should be ready to drive then. Here are some pictures of how they look.

Looks great! Just go with the lifted look and get some knobby off road tires ;)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Here's my '76 on 15x9's, zero offset.  Sits on 225/50 Kumho Ecsta AST KU25s and I run a 8mm spacer on the front, nothing on the back.  Suspension is lowering springs on factory perches that had to reshaped a little with the BFH.

20150829_212442.jpg

20150829_211428.jpg

20150829_211500.jpg

I am basically rocking the same thing as you, mine just has the air dam. Man we have sexy ass rides.

Looks great! Just go with the lifted look and get some knobby off road tires

Though it's somewhat peripheral to our topic here, it merits mentioning that many of our S30's sit considerably higher than what's taken to be the aesthetic ideal. As a consequence, wheels/tires that might otherwise contact the fender-lip would in fact clear safely.  This happens when the car is lightened from stock, bushings replaced etc., but the suspension is otherwise unchanged. 

I don't have "professional" equipment to exercise the suspension through its bump/rebound, but tried a crude simulation by stacking 2"x12" wood segments underneath three wheels, leaving the fourth level on the ground, and assessing spacing between the tire and the fender-well.

Having considered the benefits of lowering my car beyond its present condition (1.5 spring-turns cut), I would indeed prefer the visual appeal of a lower posture, but am not persuaded that it's worth the trouble.  The implication is that a wide wheel and commensurately wide tire would fit, given sufficient negative offset.  This however is not such a fantastic solution, because the off-the-shelf selection of negative-offset wheels in 4x114.3 is remarkably low.

• 3 months later...

Hey Everyone, sorry to bump the thread. I've gone through all the pages of this thread and can't find the answer I need. 

I plan to get T3 Coilovers and T3 willwood big brake kit for front and rear. 

Will 15x9 +0 fit those calipers. Someone a couple of pages ago said that their wilwoods didn't clear, but someone else further back in the thread said that they fit perfectly. Any thoughts? Anyone have any more info on this?

Thanks, 

• 7 months later...