HybridZ

Rota Shakotans.... anyone running them?

Reg, your wheels look great, the -15 offset would only be good if you wanted to run flares which would spoil the look of your car. Be happy with it, I would be.

First, Reg, your car looks really nice!

About the offset and width, you can easily get the 15x9 -15 to fit under the fenders without flares. I've got the Rotas 17x9,5 -19 to fit under the rear fenders with some minor modification. First I run 225/35-17 tires, AZcar coilovers, rolled the fender so they have a slight angle outwards, a set of camberplates (not wild neg camber but about 2,5 degrees) and a set of adjustable LCA's. The project isn't finished yet and my final wheel setup will be Rotiform race wheels with 16x10 -5 with 235/45 or 17x10 -5 with 235/35 tyres on. That would fit perfect for a form and function setup.

It was poking about 5mm outside the fender with just coilovers, 225/35 tyres and rolled fenders, but I had no rubbing issues since the tyre was leaning with good clearance to the fender. Stiff springs (I run 375lbs/inch) and adjustable shocks is required since the ride have to be hard to do this.

I know many of you on this forum don't like to see cars that chooses form over function, but its still a hybrid z. And you have to agree, a low, wide and classy done Z is the best pinup model;)

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should not have a problem on a ZX, many people run the rota RB-R's with the 17x9 -13 and they are a perfect fit. The ZX has more clearance than the S30.

Any wheel math masters know how these would fit on a ZX with the 15x9 -15 offset?

Curious as to how far they will stick out.

Front: 225/50/15. Rear: 245/45/15. Really old tires (some variation of Dunlap Sports) that they don't make anymore (unfortunately) and that I shouldn't be running. Will do 225/50 all around in the soon future.

Sorry for the crappy pics, I'll probably take some later in the week with a proper camera.

• 3 weeks later...

Would a 225/50 clear on an S30 with coilovers but not camber plates or would rolling fenders be needed?

225/50 will clear the original spring seat and the stock fender if the offset is correct. With coilovers there is more space due to the smaller diameter springs. This allows using even wider tires/wheels or a more negative offset(more backspace). Camber plates won't affect the clearance between the tire/wheel and the spring because they move together when making the camber adjustment.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well after a couple hrs of debating on if i should buy them or not i went ahead and did just a couple of mins ago. Been bouncing back and forth for months on when i should buy them... Well Merry Christmas to ME! I will soon own a set of 15x9 -15 4x114.3 Rota Shakotan

Yeah I was talking to you about these before. You told me about the HAYASHI but those would have ran me 700 per wheel. Anyways I'm putting them on my 78 S30. Sorry if anyone wants to see pics I won't be able to for a while, I'm out here in Tokyo for the next 3 yrs. So for now I'm stock up on parts. Going to run the Megan S13 coilovers, with the fender flares, 205/50/15. Not to mention a mix match in other aftermarket suspension parts.

• 4 months later...

I'm running them now as well. I can't say anything new. They're 15x9's with the 0 offset and a 205/50. I would have gone with the -15, but I wanted to run this wheelset on my corolla as well.

e40a41a5.jpg

a21bfbe0.jpg

I'm running a 7mm spacer up front (with tons of room) and a 20mm spacer in the rear. I did roll my fenders a bit.