HybridZ

Rota Shakotans.... anyone running them?

Does anyone know what the caliper clearance is on the shakotans in wheels size 15x7 ? I have stock rotors on the 280zx, but wildwood calipers that stick out 0.75 in from the hub face. Or if you know a dealer who has these in stock I could contact and have them verify the clearance and I can also provide a template to check if the brakes will clear.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh man, thanks immensely for the pictures and the input, just what i needed. If you're saying you could 'barely/almost' fit with stock spring perches, then I should have whatever room I gain from coilovers for tires, which I think should be just enough. There are options that are over 225, although not many (R888), and most are slicks. 235 R888 should be pretty square on a 9, a bit much for an 8.

I've actually been using that one picture of your car sitting still from the front as a main determinate in this decision (whether to go with 8s or 9s with big tires on stock fenders), and now just added every pic in your flikr account, haha. definitely seems like 0 offset is the way to go for equal strut and fender clearance.

i think (or am hoping) that setup should result in something just about like this: http://www.cliffshade.com/350zr/images/040911-1236-41e.jpg

No problem, glad you like the pics! 

You do need to space the fronts somewhat, I would say there's about a 4mm interference with 280Z struts, I don't know if the smaller diameter 240Z struts tubes might clear. If you're looking to lower your car significantly you may be better off with the 8" width, as the 9's will poke about 3/4". You might be able to pull the fenders over them, but I don't have much experience with fender pulling, so I'm not sure if 3/4" is feasible. I was going to try this winter as I plan on building coilovers and having the car painted in spring. 

Running slicks certainly opens up your tire options, the tires in my pics are are 225/50 Falken Ziex 912, and as a cheap "performance all season", I imagine the section width runs on the narrow side, so a more aggressive street tire in the same nominal size might be significantly wider. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Where are you guys finding the best deals on Shakotans? Gonna get some 15x9 +0's in the near future.

I bought mine with tires from A Spec wheels in California. Shipping to my neck of the woods on the opposite corner of the continent in Canada was a staggeringly cheap $50. The sales guy was great to deal with and I'd highly recommend them. 

Edited by m1ghtymaxXx

I bought mine with tires from A Spec wheels in California. Shipping to my neck of the woods on the opposite corner of the continent in Canada was a staggeringly cheap $50. The sales guy was great to deal with and I'd highly recommend them. 

That's who I'm looking at ordering from now. They're actually located just a couple of hours from me so if I happen to be in the area the guy said he'd waive sales tax for me, putting the set of 4 15x9 +0 at about $620.

• 2 months later...

Well, I ended up buying them! 15x9 +0. It'll be a month or two before they're on the car though, I've got the engine out and a bunch of parts to install/things to do before I'm ready to mount the new wheels.

Still trying to decide on the best tire.. I'm liking the reviews and looks of the Dunlop DZ102's, price is great also! Unfortunately they're only available in 205/50, which I am nervous about getting. I don't prefer the look of a ton of stretch, but may go this route for pricing/reviews, treadwear rating is 460!

To my knowledge our only options in a 225/45 or 225/50 are tires like the Ziex-912 which is an all-season tire (Which I didn't care for much on my ZX), or autocross/strict performance tires. Since I tend to drive my Z ~100mi a day commuting to work I don't see that as an option.

So... Dunlop DZ102's in 205/50 or Ziex-912 in 225/50? I may be willing to give the Ziex another shot, they wore out pretty quick on me before and I'm not sure how they compare performance wise to something like the DZ102.

post-21848-0-23253000-1397190046_thumb.jpg

Well, I ended up buying them! 15x9 +0. It'll be a month or two before they're on the car though, I've got the engine out and a bunch of parts to install/things to do before I'm ready to mount the new wheels.

Still trying to decide on the best tire.. I'm liking the reviews and looks of the Dunlop DZ102's, price is great also! Unfortunately they're only available in 205/50, which I am nervous about getting. I don't prefer the look of a ton of stretch, but may go this route for pricing/reviews, treadwear rating is 460!

To my knowledge our only options in a 225/45 or 225/50 are tires like the Ziex-912 which is an all-season tire (Which I didn't care for much on my ZX), or autocross/strict performance tires. Since I tend to drive my Z ~100mi a day commuting to work I don't see that as an option.

So... Dunlop DZ102's in 205/50 or Ziex-912 in 225/50? I may be willing to give the Ziex another shot, they wore out pretty quick on me before and I'm not sure how they compare performance wise to something like the DZ102.

I've got the Ziex 912's in 225/50 on my 15x9 Shakotans. They were dirty cheap and for the the price I can't really complain. I've autocrossed on them many times, and of course they won't be competitive, but they exceeded my expectations, especially in the rain. 

I've got the Ziex 912's in 225/50 on my 15x9 Shakotans. They were dirty cheap and for the the price I can't really complain. I've autocrossed on them many times, and of course they won't be competitive, but they exceeded my expectations, especially in the rain. 

I assume you've got rolled fenders right? Lowering springs? Any issues at all with rubbing? I've actually got your 280z saved in my examples folder, looks nice! :)

I assume you've got rolled fenders right? Lowering springs? Any issues at all with rubbing? I've actually got your 280z saved in my examples folder, looks nice! :)

I rolled my fronts before the wheels arrived thinking it would be necessary, it wasn't at my ride height. The car has Eibach street lowering springs (I think it's 3/4" drop) and Suspension Techniques 240Z sway bars and it has never once rubbed. My next task is to build coilovers, at which point I'll probably be lowering it another 1.5" and I don't expect that to clear unrolled fenders. 

I rolled my fronts before the wheels arrived thinking it would be necessary, it wasn't at my ride height. The car has Eibach street lowering springs (I think it's 3/4" drop) and Suspension Techniques 240Z sway bars and it has never once rubbed. My next task is to build coilovers, at which point I'll probably be lowering it another 1.5" and I don't expect that to clear unrolled fenders. 

That's what I'll be running as well actually, until I get the money to build some coilovers. Thanks for the info.

• 2 months later...

I know this is an old thread but...

From what I've gathered, you can run the 15x9 0 offset front and rear on 205/50/15's without rubbing. Now, the question I have is, do I need camber plates? I'm thinking about getting coils that don't have camber plates... Will I be ok if I just roll the fenders?

I know this is an old thread but...

From what I've gathered, you can run the 15x9 0 offset front and rear on 205/50/15's without rubbing. Now, the question I have is, do I need camber plates? I'm thinking about getting coils that don't have camber plates... Will I be ok if I just roll the fenders?

No camber plates required at a reasonable ride height, and I would recommend going with 225/50's which will have a bit of stretch. 205's will be very stretched. 

No camber plates required at a reasonable ride height, and I would recommend going with 225/50's which will have a bit of stretch. 205's will be very stretched. 

Only problem is 225/50r15 has pretty much disappeared over the last few months. I just searched my 3 main tire vendors (I work in tire sales) and I can't get anything under $170 a tire for Toyo R888's. There are a few 205/50's still but I worry that 15" performance tires are disappearing. That's why I think I'm going to have to use 16's.

Only problem is 225/50r15 has pretty much disappeared over the last few months. I just searched my 3 main tire vendors (I work in tire sales) and I can't get anything under $170 a tire for Toyo R888's. There are a few 205/50's still but I worry that 15" performance tires are disappearing. That's why I think I'm going to have to use 16's.

Not sure where you're looking, but I've had no problem finding good tires in that size. I just bought a set of BF Goodrich Rivals in 225/45R15 as they aren't available in a 50 series. Not thrilled about losing an inch of tire height, but after all the positive reviews, I'm dying to give them a shot. I'm keeping my eyes peeled for another set of 15's to install them on as I just picked up a set of a cheap all seasons for the street to preserve the soft Rivals.