HybridZ

Yet another tail light mod/question

GOTHALOSISM

By looking at all the threads on tail light mods I have decided to go with the round vette lights.

The thing is I found a rear bumper cover with lights from a early Vette. So has any one taken one of these and figured out how to mold it into the rear of our zeds? Its the uerithane one so I'm guessing I can use FG with it as well?

I tried using a tail panel for a 85 vette (fiberglass) but it just wasn't going to work. I ended up making my own panel from a sheet of 1/8" thick fiberglass I got from McMaster Carr. I then made recessed mounts for the lights. I imbedded bolts into the fiberglass panel so they are not visible and bolted it to the car from inside. I did have to cut some of the Z tail panel away to fit all 4 lights and added a brace to make sure the structure was still strong.

tail-panel.jpg

I have finally gotten around to starting the tail light swap to some 1986 Corvette assemblies (plastic not FG)

I found a rear bumper cover with lights at the local JY for $45. These are some what rare around here since vette stuff goes fast.

The vette cover is about 6 inches to long but that is easily fixed with a dremel (cant find my jig saw). After measuring multiple times I finally cut the cover in half and started fitting the right side in. Now I have it almost all the way in then I'll start on the left then the center before molding it all in with fiberglass.

Here is what I have so far.

DSC00301.jpg

DSC00299.jpg

DSC00300.jpg

DSC00302.jpg

DSC00303.jpg

Nice job. It looks like it fits well. That bracing is critical so that cross body part doesn't start to move, it is a uni-body structural part. I used some channel to reinforce mine, bolted and finally welded in place.

tailight-brace.jpg

Hey Deja how did you wire in the lights for running, brake and turn?

When I did the LT1 conversion I installed a complete Z28 chassis wiring harness eliminating all the Datsun wiring in the car. I then spliced in the Corvette tail light sockets. But I wanted to have only the outside lights to blink for turn signals and all the lights to come on when I applied the brakes. I picked up a trailer rear light adapter from Advance Auto that will allow you to do that. You wire your existing light wires and brake light wires to the input and wire the output to the lights you want to work in each condition. It is made by Hoppy, sorry I don't remember the part number and there isn't one on the actual unit. Cool small unit the its pretty cheap.

Cool thanks, now I just need to find out why the blinkers and running lights are inop right now. I just had to mess with the wiring to get the horn to work... :lol:

I spent days trying to get my stock blinkers to work. I took the switch out and cleaned it up real good and they worked for about a week. I finally gave up, bit the mega dollar bullet, and bought a new switch from Black Dragon, that has worked for 3 years. Check all your grounds, if they are good it very well could be the bulb sockets that's usually the problem in these cars. I eventually went full LEDs for all my exterior lights except the headlights even in the Corvette taillights.

I can get another switch, I'll try that first. Can't afford a new one though.

I hear ya! Those things are crazy expensive. There was a write up on here about "fixing" the turn signal switch. There was also a thread recently about the socket issues with these cars, something about them swelling and loosing contact.

• 3 weeks later...