HybridZ

Help identifying starter

I purchased a '73 Z with a pre-swapped Nordskog small block chevy V8. She's a bit of a project and even after changing batteries she is still a bit of bear to get started. Contacted the previous owner and he said that he felt that the starter was on the way out when he put the car in storage about 6 years ago. This is my first sbc experience. After doing some research and searching on this site it appears that some starters work with different flywheels (based off of tooth count) and some have different a bolt pattern. Unsure if these are two factors are mutually exclusive or not. Also not sure which flywheel is in the car. I was wondering if anybody could help identify which starter I need based off some pictures I took (see below) with the starter still in the car?

post-21076-051584400 1312935351_thumb.jpg

post-21076-033923600 1312935413_thumb.jpg

post-21076-019659100 1312935544_thumb.jpg

post-21076-098679600 1312935601_thumb.jpg

post-21076-026125800 1312935671_thumb.jpg

It's hard to get a sense of scale/size from those pics, but it looks like it's either what they call a "Nippo" style or a standard GM high performance gear-reduction.

A lot of aftermarket performance starters will be made to fit both types of flywheels (because the tooth size/spacing is analagous between the two) and have both bolt-patterns, so if you're not sure make sure it lists both 153 and 168. The biggest thing is getting it shimmed properly when you install it.

Generally speaking: the 168-tooth starters will have "staggered" mounting bolt-pattern, while the 153-tooth ones are parallel.

Edited by kamikaZeS30

Hard to tell for sure from those pics what starter that is. Best bet would be to remove it to see if there are any markings on it (GM products should have part number stamped on it). You will also need to remove it in order to do a tooth-count on your flexplate....that's not as crazy as it sounds. Get the car up on jackstands, remove the plugs, stick a long-handle ratchet on your main pulley bolt and crank away. I used a piece of chalk to mark the teeth, and pen & paper to keep running tally of teeth counted. This is also a good way to verify that the teeth on your flexplate are all in good condition.

WRT starters, I've been using db Electrical for the last couple of years. They make a good product at a good price, and their customer service is unbeatable. I'm currently using a previous version of this little beauty; weighs only 7.5 lbs and features full support for the pinion gear at the nose:

http://www.dbelectrical.com/p-1319-new-chevy-305-350-454-mini-racing-pmgr-starter-ht-pm300-sdr0031.aspx

Good luck.

r/John

• 2 weeks later...

First I wanted to thanks everybody for the help. Got the correct starter and got her installed.

Still having problems though and would like to see if anybody could get me pointed in the right direction. The car still does not start sometimes, both when cold and warm. Car now obviously has a new starter (high torque), and a new Optima battery with 980 CCA. The issue seems to be completely random, and it either turns over as normal or you just hear the solenoid click, all or nothing and you never hear the starter struggle to turn. Whenever the issue arises typically I just through on a battery box and it starts right up, however today the battery box did not work and I had to leave the car over at my buddy's shop. The battery seems to be holding charge, and the alternator is charging. Cleaned the grounds. Any ideas?

First I wanted to thanks everybody for the help. Got the correct starter and got her installed.

Still having problems though and would like to see if anybody could get me pointed in the right direction. The car still does not start sometimes, both when cold and warm. Car now obviously has a new starter (high torque), and a new Optima battery with 980 CCA. The issue seems to be completely random, and it either turns over as normal or you just hear the solenoid click, all or nothing and you never hear the starter struggle to turn. Whenever the issue arises typically I just through on a battery box and it starts right up, however today the battery box did not work and I had to leave the car over at my buddy's shop. The battery seems to be holding charge, and the alternator is charging. Cleaned the grounds. Any ideas?

Its not the starter or the battery. Its the wiring. Its not carrying enough volts from the battery. When you hook up the jumpbox it gives you 13+. Thats why it starts.

Its a diagram on this site or just google 73 240z starting problem. Its a diagram with a relay from the battery to the starter. Easy fix. I replaced everything too before I figured it out.

Here is the site. http://www.biopatent.com/solenoid.html

Edited by leroylucky

Its not the starter or the battery. Its the wiring. Its not carrying enough volts from the battery. When you hook up the jumpbox it gives you 13+. Thats why it starts.

Its a diagram on this site or just google 73 240z starting problem. Its a diagram with a relay from the battery to the starter. Easy fix. I replaced everything too before I figured it out.

Here is the site. http://www.biopatent.com/solenoid.html

Awesome! I'll give this a try. Thanks.