HybridZ

Fiberglass door panels w/speaker holes

rags

So....

After selling a pair of door panels to a local Z owner, I found that he was overjoyed to finally get some decent door panels ... with speaker provisions to boot. I refered him to the forum for support as well as addition parts and how to's and lots of great ideas, but despite the fact that the guy is pretty crafty he lacked the tools and maybe a lil patience to effectively finish the project.

So... I thought I would try to complete a set of panels (an A to Z of sorts) and I gotta say it does take some patience and a lil craftiness. Not to mention a lil extra cash as I was quoted $150 to $200 to cover the panels and $50 to $75 to cover the handles with about two week wait period before they were complete... I think NOT!!!! Then there were hours in the junk yard looking for door cups (although I did come up with some great ideas along the way) see pics. Waiting for window switch plates to come from SPAL etc etc ... Personally I enjoy doing this kinda stuff so its not a big deal for me, other people... not so much.

So... I figured I'd get my fiance in on the act (shes very crafty) and create an out the box and on the door product... see pics

I think a fair price point is $400 and you only have to be mildy crafty as the only thing left to do is plug in the window switch and run the wire.

As far as great junk yard ideas, I found a couple of door/window switch applications. Probelm is the fancy brown one came out of a Daewoo Leganza, I dont think to many of those are gonna be in the junk yard and wiring might be a bit of an issue. The fancy brown window switch came out of a Mazda Milennia, again not to many in the junk yard. The plain black one came out of a chrysler 300, tons of those in the yard but not the most appealing look either. The last black one looks pretty good but I can't remember what type of car it came from but I do remember seeing a couple of them in the yard. The price is all the same at $5 bucks for the plastic pieces and $8 bucks for the switch.

Overall I think the plain black cup looks period correct but still offers lots of flare and pow, the spal window switch while not period correct, is small enough to blend with the same visual pop and modern convenience. Not to mention the fact that its readily available.

So... what do you think?

Those are gorgeous! Any thoughts of doing a version without the speaker holes and a door pull more like the early series passenger-side door pulls? I'm planning to remove everything from the door panels except a simple pull and the handle, and putting electric windows/locks with the switch in the center console where the fuse box usually is (going to re-wire with a painless kit and put the fusebox in the glove box area). Also I really like that material. I'm all for "correct" vinyl, but honestly, I'd like to use a better carpet material on the floors/tunnel instead...I just can't stand that vinyl stuff.

Is that each or for the pair? Cause when I ran the numbers for complete "correct" replacements (assuming your existing panels are trashed like mine) and I was looking at ~750, depending on what kind of door pulls you want, etc, for the pair. I'd think that ~400 would be MORE than fair.

Oh, and your fiance has some serious nails going on there...

Edited by Dershum

Also curious on the total price. I'd be interested in a set without the switch installed. I'll be sourcing all of my own switches so that my interior matches but it would be worth a ton to get ready-to-go door panels shipped in so I don't have to mess with them.

Hey Rayven14 how did you get the heads of the door panel clips not to show through the fabric? (on the cabin side of the door panels)

I'll show pics of my finished panels soon.

Great fiberglass panels, well worth the price!

Hey Rayven14 how did you get the heads of the door panel clips not to show through the fabric? (on the cabin side of the door panels)

I'll show pics of my finished panels soon.

Great fiberglass panels, well worth the price!

I used 1/8 inch foam. Its really soft, almost looks like flat batting material. Did you put the pins in first and then the foam before the final fabric?

Wow!!!! is all I can say when it comes to actually covering a set of panels, I have a new found respect for upholstery guys cause it aint easy!! I tried to make a set of covers for the factory door panel (two in fact) and maybe Im missing something but it was a pain in the ass!!! It didnt work out at all!!, it buched and crinkled and no matter how much I stretched and pulled ... it didnt look good and sure as hell wouldnt be something I would sale.

So... I changed the process for the better... or so I think. I decided to cut out a template of the factory panel insert, padded and covered it before glueing it in place and tying it down. I Then I covered the perimeter in the faux leather and wrapped it all up for what I think is a bad ass finished piece. The end product is very tight to the fiberglass and in the corners that have a tendancy to lift, and will of course fit all the factory handles and what knots. My fiance used to like the "Speaker" panels better but now she thinks the factory panel "looks more stealth" I kind of agree with her, But! I gotta have my soundz.

So... after many conversations and lots of trial and error I figure a fair price would be $450 for either covered panel and $85 for the covered handles with door cups and window switch plates. That price is subject to change as I will also be advertising on EBAY but for all the members here I'll keep it at the $450 price.

I also would need you to send me your upper door metal pieces with your purchase so that I can continue to sale complete units.

As far as colors go, its kinda limited; the inlay color is available in black, brown, tan, saddle and red. The Perimeter color is limited to black and merlot. If youve got your own fabric I can probably work with that as well.

Pics!! whatcha think?!?!?

post-1755-041822500 1328931942_thumb.jpg

post-1755-065066900 1328931968_thumb.jpg

post-1755-066046300 1328931998_thumb.jpg

post-1755-071912800 1328932034_thumb.jpg

post-1755-048178400 1328932071_thumb.jpg

post-1755-015348100 1328932102_thumb.jpg

post-1755-072665800 1328932154_thumb.jpg

So...

Remember those carbon panels that looked like a dog eatin peanut butter? turns out the painter was right! Unless your molds look like glass, (mine dont) there are going to be pits and valleys that need to be filled in the clearing process. You can see in the pics lots of tiny little holes that are very fixable with a second layer of clear (I've had one layer done) now all you have to do is get the other one done.

I typically sale these for 375 and I spent 100 with the painter but at this point Im open to reasoable offers. No these are not the same ugly panels with that single strand that all but ruined them, these are a second set I made and had cleared. They're in perfect shape just need that second coat of clear.

Pics!!!

post-1755-057279500 1328935932_thumb.jpg

post-1755-047291400 1328935955_thumb.jpg

Lance,

Yep got it today, but wasnt there to bust it open.

Carbon handles ... Hmmm, well I did complete the new mold but had some issues with sticking, in a nutshell the molds arent that great for CF but ok for Glass. gonna have to make yet another mold, but I still have the plugs. I do have that not so good one I could use for pic purposes.

Wow!!!! is all I can say when it comes to actually covering a set of panels, I have a new found respect for upholstery guys cause it aint easy!! I tried to make a set of covers for the factory door panel (two in fact) and maybe Im missing something but it was a pain in the ass!!! It didnt work out at all!!, it buched and crinkled and no matter how much I stretched and pulled ... it didnt look good and sure as hell wouldnt be something I would sale.

So... I changed the process for the better... or so I think. I decided to cut out a template of the factory panel insert, padded and covered it before glueing it in place and tying it down. I Then I covered the perimeter in the faux leather and wrapped it all up for what I think is a bad ass finished piece. The end product is very tight to the fiberglass and in the corners that have a tendancy to lift, and will of course fit all the factory handles and what knots. My fiance used to like the "Speaker" panels better but now she thinks the factory panel "looks more stealth" I kind of agree with her, But! I gotta have my soundz.

So... after many conversations and lots of trial and error I figure a fair price would be $450 for either covered panel and $85 for the covered handles with door cups and window switch plates. That price is subject to change as I will also be advertising on EBAY but for all the members here I'll keep it at the $450 price.

I also would need you to send me your upper door metal pieces with your purchase so that I can continue to sale complete units.

As far as colors go, its kinda limited; the inlay color is available in black, brown, tan, saddle and red. The Perimeter color is limited to black and merlot. If youve got your own fabric I can probably work with that as well.

Pics!! whatcha think?!?!?

I like the way you covered the panels without the speaker pods because the outside border looks great... If you had a version with the speaker pods done like that instead of the way ya did the one with the speaker pod I'd be in... Lemme know!

KJ,

I agree, the border gives the panels a bit more of a factory look. Or at least that was my inspiration, at least in my mind I've tried to create that same or similar look for the "speaker" panels, Im gonna have to round out the area around the speaker provision, maybe do it in fiberglass? that way it kinda rolls with the pod area? hmmm stay tuned. I havent covered the other panel yet so I may just tear it down and start over. ehh who knows? I'm sure I'll have some pics later this week.

Ehhh, Im pretty sure I can cover the panel the same way but the jury is out on this one, its gonna have to be something thing that I gotta see the tape aint doin it for me. BUT!!! I like the idea

Maybe running the lower half of the leather border from the left side below the speaker hole where the curve starts to form, then the bottom half just to the top of the door opener pull plate. It would lighten the heavy visual feel that the tape currently shows. I am looking at what you started with the tape, and visually thinking what approach I will take with my set of panels. I have a small tweeter hole on top of the bass hole to contend with also. I am also hoping to use a chrome or brushed metal piece on the top side for a visual break, enhancement from all of the black. I very much like what you have come up with, with it's progression. :2thumbs: