HybridZ

Fiberglass door panels w/speaker holes

rags

Neslson,

Yeah I see what you mean, getting the look to match more of the factory look might give it a better look overall. A chrome stip across the top (like the factory) would also add visual interest. My plate is pretty full right now but I'll get that done soon enough.

Well I just put the finishing touches on the factory panels I'd been working on (these are in fact the same panels from page 4, halfway down the page) This one came out a lil better/tighter but like all things the more you do it the better you get at it... and it took half the time.

Im sure you all know what a clean factory panel looks like but I figured I'd attach a pic of a perfect ebay panel for comparison.

Pics!!!

post-1755-075901100 1329170957_thumb.jpg

post-1755-033637700 1329170977_thumb.jpg

post-1755-043586900 1329170999_thumb.jpg

post-1755-058505100 1329171026_thumb.jpg

post-1755-006747000 1329171050_thumb.jpg

post-1755-018621900 1329171139_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Have you given any more thought of making the panels with speaker pods to look similar to these?

Ehh to be honest, I dont think theres enough interest to continue trying to sale the covered panels. To many people want to see many different things before they make a final purchase and I simply can't finance that.

So having said that I still have both sets of those covered panels, one with speaker provisions and one without. The $450 price tag scared everyone off so Im open to reasonable offers.

Hey, I just wanted to let you know I'm still interested in the covered panels. I don't want you to be discouraged, but since I have to get speakers, a power window kit, and the panels I have to save a bit.

Also I had a random question. Do those armrests/handles bolt into the door frame?

Rayven... These panels look AMAZING! I'm curious though, will the speaker pod interfere with the manual window crank? I'm def interested in a pair for a '71 with the lower door latch cutouts and door speakers while still keeping my manual windows. Is that possible? Unfinished, I will finish them myself.

Thanks

Ray

Ehh to be honest, I dont think theres enough interest to continue trying to sale the covered panels. To many people want to see many different things before they make a final purchase and I simply can't finance that.

So having said that I still have both sets of those covered panels, one with speaker provisions and one without. The $450 price tag scared everyone off so Im open to reasonable offers.

I totally understand what you mean, There are a lot of people in this forum with unrealistic requests and on top of that they don't want to spend much money.

I do want a set of pannels with speaker pods and I'm willing to pay up front if you are willing to try and see how they look using both materials. I'm also willing to help with some of the cost of any wasted material while you try and make the pannels work. In other words I don't expect for you to finance a request that you did not intend to do in the first place.

I also want your honest opinion since you have the pannels on hand and a picture is not the same as seeying them in person. If you don't think using the 2 materials will look good at all then maybe is not even worth spending too much time on this.

Please let me know your thoughts.

• 2 weeks later...

So....

After selling a pair of door panels to a local Z owner, I found that he was overjoyed to finally get some decent door panels ... with speaker provisions to boot. I refered him to the forum for support as well as addition parts and how to's and lots of great ideas, but despite the fact that the guy is pretty crafty he lacked the tools and maybe a lil patience to effectively finish the project.

So... I thought I would try to complete a set of panels (an A to Z of sorts) and I gotta say it does take some patience and a lil craftiness. Not to mention a lil extra cash as I was quoted $150 to $200 to cover the panels and $50 to $75 to cover the handles with about two week wait period before they were complete... I think NOT!!!! Then there were hours in the junk yard looking for door cups (although I did come up with some great ideas along the way) see pics. Waiting for window switch plates to come from SPAL etc etc ... Personally I enjoy doing this kinda stuff so its not a big deal for me, other people... not so much.

So... I figured I'd get my fiance in on the act (shes very crafty) and create an out the box and on the door product... see pics

I think a fair price point is $400 and you only have to be mildy crafty as the only thing left to do is plug in the window switch and run the wire.

As far as great junk yard ideas, I found a couple of door/window switch applications. Probelm is the fancy brown one came out of a Daewoo Leganza, I dont think to many of those are gonna be in the junk yard and wiring might be a bit of an issue. The fancy brown window switch came out of a Mazda Milennia, again not to many in the junk yard. The plain black one came out of a chrysler 300, tons of those in the yard but not the most appealing look either. The last black one looks pretty good but I can't remember what type of car it came from but I do remember seeing a couple of them in the yard. The price is all the same at $5 bucks for the plastic pieces and $8 bucks for the switch.

Overall I think the plain black cup looks period correct but still offers lots of flare and pow, the spal window switch while not period correct, is small enough to blend with the same visual pop and modern convenience. Not to mention the fact that its readily available.

So... what do you think?

Ray, I'm very interested in door panels. I tried to PM you with my phone # but it didn't work.

Please pm me with your phone #, I think it will be easier to deal over the phone.

I'm in Camarillo, in Ventura cty. Where are you located?

Hope we can help each other.

Thanks, Frank.

• 2 weeks later...

Ray, I'm very interested in door panels. I tried to PM you with my phone # but it didn't work.

Please pm me with your phone #, I think it will be easier to deal over the phone.

Thanks, Frank.

Pete, I received the panels Friday. Thay are way beyond what I hoped for, really beautiful.

The upholstery guy was really impressesd. Saved me money too!

I would HIGHLY recommend these to anyone redoing their Z.

Thanks again.

Frank.

Thanks, Frank.

Pete, I got the panels Friday. they are really beautiful, beyond what I was expecting.

My upholstery guy was imressed too. Saved me money.

I would HIGHLY recommend these to anyone redoing their Z.

Thanks again.

Frank.

Rayven,

I have been trying to keep up with all the posts about your door panels. The most recent ones look supurb. I too cannot PM you for some reason.

I would like two quotes... a pair (wrapped) with speaker inserts and a pair (unwrapped) with speaker inserts.

Like so many Z owners, I am sick of the decaying door panels and would like to start fresh.

Cheers.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...