9 replies to this topic

#1 GOTHALOSISM

GOTHALOSISM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1046 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas NV

Posted 18 August 2011 - 01:58 PM

My combo switch is bad,yes I have cleaned the connections. Is there a way to setup a toggle switch system with the relays to turn on the signals? I know I would need one for right, left, and hazzards. At least I got my horn button to work finally.
1979 280ZX "SKITTLE" (lime green, stock color) SOLD
1976 280Z "Skittle 2.0" LT1, T5, Turbo rims, and more junk.
Posted Image

#2 jhm

jhm

HybridZ Supporter

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationHampton, VA

Posted 19 August 2011 - 06:05 AM

Sure...why not. I would think a 3-position toggle would work -- you'd need the style that gives you two "ON" positions and one "OFF" position in the center. Something like this should work fine:

http://www1.mscdirec..._-SearchResults

Should be able to use your existing wiring on the steering column (and existing relays) provided it's all in good shape. I doubt this setup would pass a state safety inspection, but that may not be an issue for your particular situation.

Unless you use the hazards often, I wouldn't even bother messing with them (which would definitely fail state inspection). I can't remember the last time I used my hazard signal.

Good luck and happy motoring!
r/John

#3 Oddjob

Oddjob

Random Task

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida

Posted 20 August 2011 - 04:40 PM

No, this won't work at all, unless you are going to rewire much of the car. A simple DPDT center off switch dosn't have anything like the number of poles you would need, nor does it have any possibility of recreating the switching logic of the original. I took a quick look at the wiring diagram I have, and it would take something like 13 poles to recreate the switch (just for the turn signals), and probably more when you start to do the logic.

For example, I set out to replace the emergency flasher switch, which you'd think could be a DPDT. It wasn't. Take a look at the eventual solution here for a preview of what you would have to do to "replace" that switch. Scroll down to posts 18, 19, and especially 20 (open the PDFs in 19 & 20). It took 15 connections worth of switching to do, and is much simpler than the combination switch.

I don't want to discourage you, it can be done, but you will have to do some circuit design. It won't be a half-hour project.

Edited by Oddjob, 20 August 2011 - 04:57 PM.

#4 beermanpete

beermanpete

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, CA

Posted 20 August 2011 - 05:27 PM

I worked out a similar solution as OddJob but using relays and a simpler switch. I did not include the 4-way flasher. The wiring diagram for my solution is attached. This diagram is a complete re-wire for our race car so there is no heater, wipers, horn, etc. You could use only the parts for the turn-signals. The diodes are for isolating parts of the car circuitry from a tow vehicle. Simply omit them if not needed.

The problem on the early models is the use of the same bulb for brake and turn-signal function. There is a separate switch contact for the left rear, right rear, and front.

It is possible in the later models with separate turn-signal bulbs the switch is less complicated but I have not studied it.

Large file, sorry.

Attached File  NEW WIRING DIAGRAM.bmp   3.38MB   35 downloads

#5 jhm

jhm

HybridZ Supporter

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationHampton, VA

Posted 21 August 2011 - 10:04 AM

Sorry guys, but I'm confused. The wiring at the turn signal switch is a simple 3-prong plug. When the switch is in one position, it completes the circuit for the left signal; and in the other position, completes the circuit for the right signal....true?

Why can't this functionality be replicated by replacing the turn signal stalk switch with a 3-way toggle switch? Wouldn't the rest of the wiring in the system remain "as-is"? (Again, this solution assumes that the problem lies solely within the switch, and that all of the system wiring is good and can be used as-is.)

Again, my apologies if I'm over-simplifying the problem...electrical issues are my weakest area.
r/John

#6 cgsheen

cgsheen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 21 August 2011 - 12:59 PM

Sorry guys, but I'm confused. The wiring at the turn signal switch is a simple 3-prong plug. When the switch is in one position, it completes the circuit for the left signal; and in the other position, completes the circuit for the right signal....true?

Why can't this functionality be replicated by replacing the turn signal stalk switch with a 3-way toggle switch? Wouldn't the rest of the wiring in the system remain "as-is"? (Again, this solution assumes that the problem lies solely within the switch, and that all of the system wiring is good and can be used as-is.)

Again, my apologies if I'm over-simplifying the problem...electrical issues are my weakest area.
r/John

IF Skittle is talking about his '76 Z, I'm with you. The '74 - '76 Z's have a simple 3-wire switch (which I have taken apart on my 260 five times in the last 9 months, sigh...) and you don't need to fuss with the Hazard Switch at all. Each time I've repaired mine lately, I've contemplated tossing the original switch and finding a reliable replacement.

The Turn Signal Switch on the '73 and earlier Z is much different...

1974 "Early" 260Z: '83 L28ET - F31 ECU MAF Coil TPS - T04E - FMIC - 400cc Injectors - MTX-L wideband - NIStune enabled! - '83 5 speed - coilovers - Big Brakes up front - Sakura Garage, Tempe, AZ

#7 Oddjob

Oddjob

Random Task

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida

Posted 21 August 2011 - 04:22 PM

r/John

Umm... you haven't said what year your Z is. The switch has changed over time. My remarks above are specific to the early Z (mine is a '71). Sorry for jumping to the conclusion yours was, as well....

#8 Zzeal

Zzeal

HybridZ Supporter

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationN.E. Ohio

Posted 21 August 2011 - 04:26 PM

I'm using a "Ron Francis Wiring" toggle turn signal switch. Worked fine in an initial test, but I'll have to remember to switch it off after making a turn.
It's a six terminal affair and they've got a wiring schematic for it on their site.
Steve

#9 jhm

jhm

HybridZ Supporter

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationHampton, VA

Posted 22 August 2011 - 06:29 AM

Sorry, my bad. My car is a '74, and my experience is primarily w/ the later year S30s.

Thx for clearing up the confusion, cgsheen!

#10 GOTHALOSISM

GOTHALOSISM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1046 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas NV

Posted 26 August 2011 - 09:49 AM

Agreed sorry for the confusion mine is a 76 as well with just the 3 poles.
1979 280ZX "SKITTLE" (lime green, stock color) SOLD
1976 280Z "Skittle 2.0" LT1, T5, Turbo rims, and more junk.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users