HybridZ

Need help with 1977 l28

k204drek

well i believe i might have found the problem atleast i thought so i put the missing rocker arm back on and it runs good it has a low power but it runs the best it ever has now there is another problem well 2 actually there is a huge air sound coming from the front of the car when i rev and it it bogs out and the fuel pump is running all the time and it sounds like its straining when i rev it in park it sputters and back fires until gets to about 2500 rpms and it runs good

2011-08-18_17-52-51_51.jpg

Please use proper capitalization and punctuation. It makes your post easier to read and you will be in compliance with the forum rules.

Missing a rocker arm IS a problem and you need to figure out WHY it came off.

"Huge air sound" like a stuck fan clutch?

It's normal for the fuel pump to run constantly.

Have you cleaned all of the corrosion out of your FI connections?

Edited by rossman

Please use proper capitalization and punctuation. It makes your post easier to read and you will be in compliance with the forum rules.

Missing a rocker arm IS a problem and you need to figure out WHY it came off.

"Huge air sound" like a stuck fan clutch?

It's normal for the fuel pump to run constantly.

Have you cleaned all of the corrosion out of your FI connections?

Sorry about the capatalization i typed it at school when the teacher wasnt looking.

I dont really know why the rocker arm came off.

It might be a stuck fan clutch i was thinking like a vaccuum leak or something.

Its normal for you to hear the fuel pump running all the time even over the motor?

No i have not cleaned any of the connections on the FI system.

Edited by k204drek

The vent hose on the bottom of the intake manifold clogged up i pulled it off and there is all type of crud in it, the port that it plugs on to it also clogged up could this be my problem.

What would u suggest doing?

thanks for your help.

I'm guessing the vent hose you are referring to is the PCV hose. Take it off and clean it out. Remove the PCV valve and check to see if the ball is stuck. Does it rattle when you shake it? If not, replace it.

The fuel pump should not be real loud but it's hard to tell without actually hearing it. Your fuel filter may be clogged, check or replace it.

There is lots of good information on S30 EFI here: http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/EFI&fuel.htm

I have the manual downloaded.

So far the only thing it has told me is the TPS might be bad.

I have cleaned out the fuel filter it stills runs like crap.

I have adjusted the valves.

I have not yet checked fuel pressure.

Ok the car accelerates fine once or twice then it bogs down on the third accelaration.

When i try to drive the car the fuel pump cuts in and out.

Here is a video of the car running.

http://s1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff415/k204drek/?action=view&current=2011-08-22_19-10-11_737.mp4

Edited by k204drek

• 8 months later...

check all vacuum hoses behind your AFM easy way to do this is get some starting fluid and a fire extinguisher just in case and spray all major vacuum lines behind the AFM including the rubber boot directly behind it. If your rpms go up briefly then you found your leak you could also try adjusting your TPS and your AFM. The AFM in my 77' was bad so i bought a new one and it came out of the box calibrated to lean.