HybridZ

Building a race car.. looking for advice!

• 6 years later...
On 8/22/2011 at 10:19 AM, jsausley said:

Hi everyone! First time poster.

We are building our 1973 Datsun 240Z into a race car. I'm looking for drivetrain advice:

We're on a budget! I'd like to get out TOTAL under $10,000. The car cost $1,500.

That leaves us with $8,500 to play with. Here's what we have:

L24 Engine (needs a rebuild or replacement)

4-speed transmission

Stock rear end (3.36)

Stock wheels/tires

Here's what I was thinking that we would need:

Engine rebuild/balance/etc. (~$1500)

5-speed transmission from 280ZX (~$300)

R200 w/ LSD (~$750)

Strong wheels/tires (What would you suggest here? The wheels/tires I was looking at will be about $1500 for everything.)

Brake upgrade (not sure where to go here - I know 300ZX all-around disc brake conversion is possible - how much does this usually run? How difficult is the swap?)

Suspension upgrade ($500)

Total of: $5,050 plus brakes, so let's say $5,750 total. Plus the price of car, so: $7,250 in the drivetrain and suspension, not including miscellaneous upgrades like roll cage, seats, steering wheel, wiring harness, paint, etc.

If this was your project, what direction would you take? Any advice to give? Which upgrades are going to give us the most headache?

We have a year to do this, it needs to be ready by Summer 2012, so we can watch prices and try to come out as low as possible.

Thanks for the help!