HybridZ

240z trouble starting

Hello I tried searching around the forums to see if someone had the same problem but I never really found anything helpfull.. so I've had me 240z for about 3 days now and I managed to get it started a couple of times and drive it around my block, it seems to drive alright it has power, however if I let go of the gas pedal the car starts to somewhat hesitate as if it wants to die. My first guess was the fuel pump so I checked the fuel lines going to the carbs when I crank the car and there is fuel being fed to the carbs.. I don't know what the problem is if anyone has any ideas? I really want to get this car on the road soon so I wont have to ask for rides to school anymore. Thanks in advance anything is helpful!

So how long was the car sitting before you purchased? What it a running car when you got it? What did you do to get it to this point? Gas is good? Did you change the fuel filter? You did all the basics already like compression test, check plugs, timing, etc.

If so, the early 72 SU's are a breeze to work on and most likely are gummed a little and or out of sync and calibration.

So how long was the car sitting before you purchased? What it a running car when you got it? What did you do to get it to this point? Gas is good? Did you change the fuel filter? You did all the basics already like compression test, check plugs, timing, etc.

If so, the early 72 SU's are a breeze to work on and most likely are gummed a little and or out of sync and calibration.

The previous owner said it had been sitting for about a year and a half, the car did not start when i purchased it, what ive done so far is i replaced distributor cap and rotor, replaced the spark plugs and put in about 15 bucks for gas, i bled the clutch pedal but i doubt that has anything to do with it anyways thats what ive done so far how do i do a compression test?

Welcome to the old world of SU carbs. One good resource for SU tuning is the Classic Z club website. They have a number of SU carb tuning sections in thier forum. http://www.classiczc...orums/forum.php

If you are keeping your 240Z stock the Classic Z site has a lot of basic Z info.

The best source for SU carb info is the Z Therapy video tape "Just SU". I have the tape and since completing my V8 swap have no need for it. You can have the tape and the tool required to balance your SU carbs. PM me and we can work out the deatails. Z Therapy also sells rebuild kits and rebuilt SU carbs (best but expensive). Get a 240Z Haines manual as it has diagrams of the SU setup. Watch the tape several times before working on the carbs.

Atlantic Z Car Club has a tech write up on Tuning SU carbs:

http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/carbs/index.htm

Edited by Miles

I'm assuming you're young. I would down load the Factory Service Manual (FSM) from:

http://www.xenons30.com/reference.html

Lots of very usefull info in the FSM.

Compression Test (There are other videos as well):

I would have also dumped the entire tank to start from fresh.

Someone mentioned downloading the FSM to me before so I'll look into it, it seems like id get to using it a lot.

Can those gauges in the video used to check compression on the valves be purchased at a auto parts store?

Thanks for the suggestion I'll probably dump it this weekend, should i clean the inside of the tank? If so with what should I use to clean it?

Welcome to the old world of SU carbs. One good resource for SU tuning is the Classic Z club website. They have a number of SU carb tuning sections in thier forum. http://www.classiczc...orums/forum.php

If you are keeping your 240Z stock the Classic Z site has a lot of basic Z info.

The best source for SU carb info is the Z Therapy video tape "Just SU". I have the tape and since completing my V8 swap have no need for it. You can have the tape and the tool required to balance your SU carbs. PM me and we can work out the deatails. Z Therapy also sells rebuild kits and rebuilt SU carbs (best but expensive). Get a 240Z Haines manual as it has diagrams of the SU setup. Watch the tape several times before working on the carbs.

Atlantic Z Car Club has a tech write up on Tuning SU carbs:

http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/carbs/index.htm

Thanks for all the info! Yes I'm planning on keeping it stock for now although I do keep seeing turbo engines with transmissions for sale on Craigslist for around $500 most of the time :o maybe sometime in the future I'll go turbo, who knows maybe I'll even look into the v8 swap as well! Okay sounds great I'll pm you soon Thanks again for all the info I really appreciate it!