HybridZ

'71 Black pearl turbo transformation

I bought this '71 black pearl almost a year ago, as a side project. I didnt need one, but have a hard time saying no to a Z on the cheap.

It was an adventure to get it. I drove up there with a trailer, inspected it for rust, learned it had been sitting for the last 5 years garaged (thankfully)

I bought it, then learned there was no key for it and that the garage door was broken! Lstory short, I had to come back the next day with tools to remove the ignition, and fix their door (which ended up being held up by wooden posts and screw drivers)

I got it home, and stored with a friend, only to have it towed 2 days later by the City for expired tags. After paying a small fortune in back fees (to have the car released), and impound fees, my immediate budget and love for this black hearted beast went out the window.

I recovered, and eventually got it running only to learn that it had a l28 head with 240 block installed. Cyl 6 wouldn't fire at all (missing valve guides?, you guessed it).

Persistance pays as they say... I pulled the engine, and sourced another l24. Got it running, but not terribly well,

I put my favorite Western wheels on it though. (:

After some shop talk and a random encounter at the junkyard, I am all for swapping the L28et in to my latest devil child.

Have been reading some of the write ups and my friend says its not too difficult..... (famous last words)

My plan would be to get ahold of an '83 donor car and start swapping. I would want to go for a near stock set up, as am not looking for massive power at all.

I would want to freshen up the internals, seals, etc and make in to a solid reliable runner.

Any feedback/help/useful links are welcomed.

post-14296-058244200 1315257251_thumb.jpg

post-14296-023380500 1315257379_thumb.jpg

post-14296-011292900 1315257409_thumb.jpg

Very nice starting point , Sucks that it got towed has happen many times to me. I just wanted to inform your there isn't a such thing as a 71 black pearl . The Black Pearl Didn't come out til 1978 which was a 280z. I would total go for the l28et Its what I have in a couple of my z's also. And if u can find a 81 donor they are just as good as 82-83 , You can always upgrade to the 82-83 wiring harness and dizzy. Glad u decided to share your z with us looking forward to more updates. One last thing take your time as you buy your parts so u don't have to buy things twice that's where a lot of us on here mess up .

• 2 months later...

This whole I idea is a bit crazy, but I think the it will pan out, in order to achieve my sleeper look.

I plan to take all the running gear brakes, susp, motor (which have all been redone) from my '70 and put into the 71.

The motor is a rebuilt '83 et. Stock internals and turbo, simple just what I am after really. It pulls well but needs tuning. Stutters at low speeds, doesnt like to start after its been run,etc.

Also have a t5 box to mate with it, that I pulled from my '82 zxt.

Everyone thinks I shoudl keep the '70 together, but its not original at all, the int is a mess has aftermarket gauges, bad aftermarket trim, etc.

I think the transplant is achieveable along with its MS2 wiring.

Once the motor is in, running and tuned! I would then start transplanting the rest of the running gear.

post-14296-036363300 1321847578_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

Its been awhile since posting but thought I would update the progress.

I decided to get the donar car running well and driving before making any drastic changes.

Its almost like black isnt my color, with luck I seem to have with these two.

Somewhere in between working on the MS tune, the headgasket blew, not sure how or when, but had plenty of white smoke pouring out the back. ):

While pulling the head is no big deal, the time it takes is a bit of a stretch at the moment, and have no real room to keep a dead car at the moment.

Reluctantly I endded up taking it to The Dyno shop here in SD. They pulled the head only to tell me the that two of the valves were leaking along with some corrosion on one of the intake ports which requires welding.... which may very well explain my tune problems....

Either way the bill climbs significantly as I have the p90 completely overhauled.

The alternator is also fixed, and the car hits the dyno. The shop calls me tells me

The shop seem to love the car as they have it making 200hp or so. I pick the car up and drive home. Eng feels great, night and day from before.

Elec fan needs to be wired, It only seems to come on at 3/4, and I dont really see any kind of temp sensor. Have to have the heat on full bal to keep the temp at bay. .

Bought a Hayden probe that I hope will suffice.

Thanks fellas,

Am radiator, fuel rail, plumbing, etc would all be sweet, and make the engine bay look a little more professional.

Credit card will have to be resuscitated before any of that happens. ):

Will see how we go with the fan, awaiting the switch kit in the mail.

Theres a pic Fuzz,

post-14296-049630400 1330493384_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Happy to report the zt is running well and getting me to and from work! A major success! It needs another gearbox, with first and second gear fighting me all the way. I have a T5, but am holding off for the time being.

Instead of swapping out all the running gear like I was planning, I think I will keep this one complete as I hate to pull a good runnin Z apart.

Instead I find myself drifting toward an RB swap... for the '71. This would be instead of pouring more money on upgrades in to the ET...

I sold some wheels to a guy up in LA I think who said he could do the whole swap for 7k. Can think of the name.

Turbosis is setting in...

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...