HybridZ

Install question of z31 VLSD on S30

ycrealtor

I've been reading quite a bit about this install but I'm still a bit confuse, any help will be greatly appreciated.

So I've got a 280z r200 mustache, the 88 SS diff with half shafts, flanges, bearings, and stub axles. From what I've read I can not use the stub axles on the S30 but what about the Z31 companion flange. I heard of people actually using the 87 z31 companion flange on their open r200 diffs, I'm assuming their isn't much difference from an 87 to an 88 other that the bolt pattern. So would it be possible to use the z31 companion flange with the 280z stub axles? Is the 280z companion flange(27 spline) an alt. option, or is it absolutely required to get the MM z31 companion flange adapter?

• 2 weeks later...

I've been reading quite a bit about this install but I'm still a bit confuse, any help will be greatly appreciated.

So I've got a 280z r200 mustache, the 88 SS diff with half shafts, flanges, bearings, and stub axles. From what I've read I can not use the stub axles on the S30 but what about the Z31 companion flange. I heard of people actually using the 87 z31 companion flange on their open r200 diffs, I'm assuming their isn't much difference from an 87 to an 88 other that the bolt pattern. So would it be possible to use the z31 companion flange with the 280z stub axles? Is the 280z companion flange(27 spline) an alt. option, or is it absolutely required to get the MM z31 companion flange adapter?

I am confused by your question. You want to use the z31 VLSD half shafts (obviously you have to with the VLSD), but you are wondering if the z31 4 bolt companion flange will fit on the inner wheel side and mate with your 280z axle stub... correct?

I don't know if it will mate with the 280z axle stub. I do know that all z31 turbo half shafts have the same companion flange bolt pattern (four bolt). This is true all the way from 84-89 including the shiro (vlsd) model. All N/A z31's are tripod six bolt. I do know that they are all 27 spline stub/companion flange combo's.

That is about the only information I can give you on your current inquiry.