HybridZ

Z31 ECU to 280Z-T

Zerocell5688

Hey HBZer's

I have a question here thats a little wierd but hopefully or maybe this turns into a write up at some point.

I know the whole "Rape SEARCH till you find what you need deal" and I've been doing that for several weeks but I'm wondering if anyone specifically has any experience with taking the whole Engine Management system from the VG30DE and used it on a L28E-T? I have the MAF, the Injectors and clips, the Throttle body pretty much the whole engine harness. I'm debating not using the stock Z31 Spark system be cause the car I removed this all from had spark issues I was thinking about just using it for fuel management essentially I know there are Megasquirt and other options that would run both spark and fuel simultaneously but right now I'm working on a $0 Dollar budget and i'm just trying to get rolling again really. The modification for the engine are as follows:

N42 Block, Stock boring and stroke as far as I can tell

Dished Forged Pistons (PO rebuilt the motor I guess)

Port Polished head (not sure how much I took out but they're nice and "Psuedo-Hemi-spherical" combustion chamber)

CX Racing TD04 T3/T4 .60 Trim Turbine

38mm Wastegate

T3-T3 External Wastegate Adapter

Still working on some other details but Basically I have a whole 87 NA Z31 that I have to strip all the guts off and sell so Now i have a bunch of other parts to potentially swap onto my Z :)

Just trying to see what All i can "Frankenstein" from the new Z to help modernize the classic!

So to break it all back down, I just need a fuel management system for this thing. Could I swap that Z31 ECU one the L28? I have the old L28 ECU but who really wants to deal with that right?

~J

I used a turbo Z31 ECU to operate my L28ET. It all works fine except for the knock sensor and a bad transition into idle; I used a Z31 O2 sensor, a Z31 MAF modified to compensate for larger injectors and the Z31 ignition; the rest of the sensors are the same as the 280ZX. I spent many hours nearly 10 years ago pondering and modifying the wiring, but it all worked in the end. Now my 370cc injectors are failing, and I am replacing them with more standard 440cc units and a Megasquirt.

Edited by SleeperZ

well my injectors I have Currently are just the normal turbo 260cc'ers they don't flow that much more and there still barb so I'm not too far of the rez there. I have a Wideband o2 I want to hook in for my A/F gauge Can I splice into that for signal to the Z31 ECU or do I need two 02 sensors, one for the ECU and the Other for the Wideband? I've never done this before which is why I ask. I was thinking about using Just the Wideband for simplicitys sake. Mainly I want an ECU I can make to function with a Laptop for tuning purposes. The most Applicable and recommended for that is MegaSquirt, I just don't have $400+ dollars to throw down on the whole set up. Mainly I'm trying to recycle parts I have from a 87 Z31 NA Auto that I have being stripped in my front yard. I'm thinking of recycling the Radiator, Ecu, AFM, Front Spindles, Maybe the shocks and shock mounts, steering rack, rear end differential, rear spindles and LCA's, basically the whole rear end. I just have all these modern parts and I'm seeing what I can salvage and what I'm better off pitching. I need to take Pictures and I'll get on that soon, but for now I need OGZ Wisdom on this. Its been over 2 years since my S30 went down and After getting my feet wet at the Drag-strip in my truck I'm Fiendin For some Z Goodness!!!!

~J

edit: I just found out that all the N/A's of 87 had an R200 open diff... So I guess there's no reason to bother with it if I already have an R200 in my 77 S30... or is there? Thats Another Thread....BACK TO ECU!

Edited by Zerocell5688

The 280ZXT injectors flow the same as the Z31, so you can run the unmodified Z31 MAF. The Z31 ECU will not be able to use a wideband sensor, so you should hook up the wideband separately to monitor A/F ratio. From my dyno plot, the Z31 turbo ECU (can't speak for the N/A) maintained a good 12:1 A/F over the whole WOT range.

I installed a non-turbo 1987 Z31 ECU with its mass flow sensor to replace the AFM and stock ECU in my 1979 810 which uses the same FI injection as the 280Z/ZX. This was a few years ago, so the details are foggy.

I used the Z31 fuel injection wiring harness which was modified to fit. I also used the 280ZXT distributor (and the 280ZXT distributor-oil pump drive shaft) with the Z31 trigger (sensor) wheel. I also used the Z31 O2 sensor by welding a bung (that was drilled and tapped) on the header collector pipe.

I did not wish to rewire the fuel pump to use the Z31 ECU directly, so I came up with an interface circuit using a relay between the ECU and the fuel pump.

One Z31 ECU function I did not retain was the MAF hot-wire “burn-off†(cleaning) procedure because you need to use the Z31 speed sensor to get this to work.

BTW, I thought the procedure (sticky) written up by Afshin (for using the turbo Z31 ECU) was pretty informative and helped get me started on this project:

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php?showtopic=26230

Edited by zcarnut

I installed a non-turbo 1987 Z31 ECU with its mass flow sensor to replace the AFM and stock ECU in my 1979 810 which uses the same FI injection as the 280X/ZX. This was a few years ago, so the details are foggy.

I used the Z31 fuel injection wiring harness which was modified to fit. I also used the 280ZXT distributor (and the 280ZXT distributor-oil pump drive shaft) with the Z31 trigger (sensor) wheel. I also used the Z31 O2 sensor by welding a bung (that was drilled and tapped) on the header collector pipe.

I did not wish to rewire the fuel pump to use the Z31 ECU directly, so I came up with an interface circuit using a relay between the ECU and the fuel pump.

The only Z31 ECU function I did retain was the MAF hot-wire “burn-off†(cleaning) procedure because you need to use the Z31 speed sensor to get this to work.

BTW, I thought the procedure (sticky) written up by Afshin (for using the turbo Z31 ECU) was pretty informative and helped get me started on this project:

http://forums.hybrid...showtopic=26230

You Sir! I need to pick your brain a spell! I have the VG30DE Distributor, is there anyway to modify the shaft to fit the L28? Or would I be better off just getting a new distributor? I'm using the Afshin as a reference now and thus far. I just need to hook this thing up on the stand and see if it will fly. Still need about $200 for my intercooler, piping, oil lines yadda yadda yadda and still have to sort out my cooling system and such. The Joys of conversions!

I Should also have 2 O2 Sensors yours saying than right? 1 for the Ecu and 1 for the AFR Gauge? I'm having to do all my plumbing and welding myself (me and family) anyways so I don't Mind I just need to know lol

~J

I have the VG30DE Distributor, is there anyway to modify the shaft to fit the L28? Or would I be better off just getting a new distributor?

I do not think it the Z31 distributor can be modified. Everyone just uses the 280ZXT (that’s the turbo version) distributor and its shaft. However, I’ll warn you, the 280ZXT distributor/shaft is not that easy to locate. They do occasionally show up on FleaBay.

Should also have 2 O2 Sensors yours saying than right? 1 for the Ecu and 1 for the AFR Gauge?

Yes, that will work.

I've got this same project on the back burner currently. I would just get the Turbo ZX distributor.

The only issue that stumped me was the fuel pump hook up, but I think I got it figured out:

I posted some diagrams over at Z31 that you might find helpful. I'm JSM there as well.

http://www.z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=282&start=54

Also, if you can't find a ZXT dist shaft let me know. I have an extra I can sell you.

Edited by JSM

In all honesty I don't think you save much going with the Z31 setup over megasquirt. I've gone back and forth for the last 3 years on which is the better route (without yet doing either myself) and in the end my mind has always been set on a MS2 setup. I know I can do it for under $500 and I don't think I could do the Z31 setup for less than $200 unless I found a good deal on craigslist. Local yards are ridiculous and even ebay can be a bit steep I think. And in the end to make the Z31 ecu programmable ends up costing as much as MS2, so what's the gain?

I'm not saying don't do it. I'm just saying make sure you don't end up doing the same work twice, spending twice the money. Do it once in such a way that it will last you for a while.

In all honesty I don't think you save much going with the Z31 setup over megasquirt. I've gone back and forth for the last 3 years on which is the better route (without yet doing either myself) and in the end my mind has always been set on a MS2 setup. I know I can do it for under $500 and I don't think I could do the Z31 setup for less than $200 unless I found a good deal on craigslist. Local yards are ridiculous and even ebay can be a bit steep I think. And in the end to make the Z31 ecu programmable ends up costing as much as MS2, so what's the gain?

I'm not saying don't do it. I'm just saying make sure you don't end up doing the same work twice, spending twice the money. Do it once in such a way that it will last you for a while.

Most Def! I'm not wanting to do DOuble work or Pay double money for this. I just have basically all the stuff, a whole Z31 that I have stripped worth of parts sitting here thats why I was thinking this. Tune-ability was my next topic of discussion. I need to have the abilty to fine tune all the settings for optiumal performance at my altitude and with the crappy gas out here. Would I be Better off selling all the Z31 stuff I have and going MS or what? I've been trying to sell my guts for years and haven't gotten much response even here on HBZ. That's why I was thinking about using it. Not because of the benefits necessarily mainly out of necessity and the convenience that its there lol. I'm just trying to be safe and effective with all this. Hense why were talking :) I know someone else es going to hit [sEARCH] with this and hopefully they get some ideas or what not.

~J

Well the stoke MAF system will compensate inherently for altitude. That's just the nature of how they work.

The gas issue might be a concern, but you can just change your static timing to adjust for gas. It won't be optimal power, but it'll run fine.

If you already have it all, then DO IT! See how it performs before assuming you need to program/tune the ECU. It all depends on your goals. If you're shooting for 300 or less WHP then you're probably fine. Here's a link though on tuning the Z31 ECU. I also have the live edit files if his links are dead.

http://redz31.net/pages/fuel/romulator.html

Well the stoke MAF system will compensate inherently for altitude. That's just the nature of how they work.

The gas issue might be a concern, but you can just change your static timing to adjust for gas. It won't be optimal power, but it'll run fine.

If you already have it all, then DO IT! See how it performs before assuming you need to program/tune the ECU. It all depends on your goals. If you're shooting for 300 or less WHP then you're probably fine. Here's a link though on tuning the Z31 ECU. I also have the live edit files if his links are dead.

http://redz31.net/pa.../romulator.html

Gollum, This.... This is gold my friend! OMFNG! I think I can work this out now! I'm not trying to crack 300hp/300lbs/tq I'm looking between 200-275 of either at first. I have to build the rest of the car to handle it lol. I've got some rust and some spots that need reinforcing so I've got to take care of that before I go putting serious power down. I don't want my car to rip apart or something lol. I've seen some bad things happen with high powered motors and I'm trying to be as (relatively) safe as possible. Besides its my baby why nuke it! This Fuel system issue is the first thing I need to get sorted out. I'm going to start the car and everything outside the vehicle and make sure all is well before it goes in. That's the plan at any rate. I still need to get my Fuel rail (or make one) and figure out some odds and ends. Does the 300ZX Fuel pump put out higher pressure than the 280Z? Intuition tells me yes. Like I said I have the whole car pretty much. Just verbalizing ideas. Might as well swap the whole damn tank while I'm at it if I were to go that route. Don't know Right now I'm having to fix my DD Yoter truck so the Z is once again on the active back burner. lol Collating data is key at this point I need to read up more on this ROMing process and get back with what i find out.

~J