HybridZ

Turbo stroker and emissions

dfeller

I figured I should consult the pros before I do anything rash. I know a stroker with any type of cam will fail emissions, but what if I put a turbocharger on my stroker with a stock cam? I plan on moving out of the city in a couple years and eventually put an aftermarket cam in it, but will this work for the time being? Thanks

I don't see why not. I added a turbo to my n/a 2.8 with stock n/a electronics, and turbo injectors, It would breeze through AZ emissions each year, i took in for testing. :)

When I added even larger injectors and Megasquirt, I couldn't get my Hydrocarbon readings low enough to pass on a shop emissions machine. :( So i did this instead. I got collector car insurance on my Z. Have your insurance company type a letter stating that the car has collector car insurance on it. Go to DMV with that letter and you won't have to go through emissions here again. I did that 3 years ago. I don't have to go through emissions here in AZ again.

Edited by dexter72

I have a web camshafts custom cam in my 2960cc l28 turbo and i dont think it would pass an emission test even though i have a vipec v44 ecm with wideband o2 for control.i know in phoenix they are even testing motorcycles at idle only.If you use a stock l28 na cam and have a good modern efi system you should have no problem.Unburnt fuel out the back is money wasted.A good tune on an efi system with wideband o2 should be no problem.I used to have a smog license in california-i have seen well tuned cars with hollow cats pass emissons with good numbers.

How would a turbo help with your Emissions at all? The turbo motors were all in newer cars with more stringent emission regulations. They also take more fuel and make more exhaust the turbo only helps with noise a little bit I think. That's why I thank goodness for being out in the boonies! I don't have to worry about emissions nonsense lol.

~J

First off.

WHAT THE *HELL* IS WITH THE WHOLE "IT CAN'T PASS EMMISIONS" THING?

Did you ever stop and think that any properly tuned car will pass an emissions test out the tailpipe?

If it flunks on NOx, chamber temps are too high...too lean or too much timing, or both.

If it flunks on HC, chamber temps are too low...too rich or misfiring. Not usually a timing problem.

If it flunks on CO, chamber temps are average...but it's still too rich. Could be not enough timing.

If "any kind of stroker" with a cam is tuned correctly, you CAN pass emissions testing. If the cam has crappy idle vacuum, then you'll be rich at idle to fill in a dead spot. The proper solution isn't to set your VE tables rich, or set your carb idle jet rich, it's to set it stoich or a smidge leaner, and then compensate with a bigger acceleration enrichment.

Methinks Xnke picked my primary :huh: reasoning, with Noddle hitting on the second valid :huh: reason for posting...

When I can get a 1971 Vintage SU set on a 1977 Non-USA L28 with Headers and pumping AIR into ONE primary tube to pass to 1983 emissions standards...the issue isn't the standards you have to pass...it's the people building and tuning the engines!

Will my Bonneville Engine 'pass emissions'? It has 'a cam', and 14.75:1 CR---likely not... But c'mon vague specs and grasping questions all deserve the same reply: " :huh: " Simply from the fact that it's like asking "What?" What what? What who? What where? What WHAT? :huh:

It's a Non-Sequitur