HybridZ

Texas Turbo Tom 240 to LS2/T56/Magnacharger build

I have had a thread in the turbo/supercharger section of the forum for years now. I am going to put this in the proper place, since I have it up and running. I got this car home the other day after about 5 years of being in different places. I picked it up from my dad's close friend here in Houston. I have known him since I was born. He built this car back in 1978. He flew Tom and his girlfriend into town to complete the build. He had added all that he could to the kit, virtually upgrading everything on the car, then letting it sit in 1982, until I got my hands on it back in 2005.
Here is the thread that I started back then.
http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/51708-new-toy/
I will be adding to this as I change the car around. I have taken the throttle linkage apart and I am making something to have a smoother action with the throttle pedal. I still have a lot of cleaning, and house work to do. I have a ton of parts to install that I have accumilated over the last few years. I will be adding photos of the progress as well.

Edited by texis30O

I rerouted the water injection to be as Tom had things set up. I still need to up the jet on the water injection per his specs. Anyone know of a way I can start up a site to post up all of my paperwork that I have for this car and the original build.

I built a new throttle linkage to get better response. I used a hard brake line and used pipe to bend the curves to not bind the cable. Before there was a lot of tension on the pedal. Now it is smooth, light, and responsive. I am sure I will have to keep a lubricant on it, but this is 10x better.

I drove it around with the wastegate plumbing set correctly, and the vacum lines all connected correctly. It seems to have woken up a little more. Car seems to move pretty good but I don't have another z to compare it to. John G...... U around? Lol

I set the full dash cap in the car today. Pretty good fit. Anyone else install one of these? Did you use the silicone that came with it?

I have an air dam to install this week. I have a few other things that I need to clean up on the interior. I did put in a new carpet kit and Corbeau seats. I am thinking of selling them and refinishing the original ones.

• 3 weeks later...

mahrfr.jpg

I put a dash cap on that I have had for A few years sitting around.

23jz0i.jpg

I put on the air Damn that I have had for a few years in my garage. When I pulled the oem lower section off. My blinker housings had some rusted out screws so I decided to take them apart and replace the hardware with new stainless steel screws. I also had to replace a rusted out post.

I posted up a new video from my phone on my YouTube channel as well. It can be seen VIA my channel. Just search turbo Tom and it comes up. As time goes on I will put up more driving, and eventually a few dyno runs as well.

2hd9leb.jpg

She's got Ass like a model........ Lol.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/103779-turbo-tom-literature/page__gopid__970734#entry970734

I scanned in most of the TT documents that I have been sitting on. I think I am the only one that has them up on the net... don't know for sure. Anyway. I have more stuff from the motor build of the car that I will post up as well.

• 2 weeks later...

So not good news. I am pissing oil from all over the back of the motor. So that means that I will have to drop a lot of money to get the car fixed or I can bring it home and start doing some other things myself. Since work is slow with barely enough money to keep my head above water I am in a big predicament. In addition to that my second daughter is about to arrive in 7 weeks so I will be pinching pennies anyway. I am caught between a rock and a hard place. I want this car running but I don't think it is going to happen any time soon. With that said I have a few options.....

1. Sell it and be done with it.

2. Bring it home pull the motor and attempt to do the repairs myself, keeping the Turbo Tom kit on it.

3. Bring it home strip the Turbo Tom kit off and sell it down to the long block, save money up, go EFI and be more modern.

Suggestions? I really don't want to sell this car... but all I see are dollar signs going off in my head.

Don't sell it! You will regret it later. It is a really cool car. You don't have to pull the engine to fix the front cover and rear seal leaks. Let me know and I will help you fix it. You will need to purchase a few gaskets but we are talking about <$100 and a day or two of labor.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am trying to get the car back this weekend if I have time. The car dyno was well terrible. Way too rich after 5 lbs. It went to 9 lbs. My meth injection kicks in at 5 lbs. I added meth to the tank so that could be part of the problem, or my secondary jets could be too big..... I am not sure I will have to see. All in all it is looking like I will make the switch to fi.... I am going to play with what I have for now and then see where I can go from here. I hit 176 to the wheels. Terrible...... Hopefully after a few days of reading holly books I can make some sense of it. I have reached out to a few other TT guys to see what their set ups are in regards to the jetting......

Anyone with ideas?

I will help you out with the carb setup. You should have my contact info in your email or PM me and we can get on the phone. I dont recall if you have vac or mechanical secondaries on the holley. Also, Do you know what your size you have in the primaries? and secondaries? My setup is mechanical secondaries (i dont remember the cam color right now) with 70 in the primaries and 80's in the secondaries. I have a 6.5 high flow power valve and my straight water comes on at 6.5 psi (full flow by 7.5 psi) in the stock turbotom's carb base location. I modified the pressure relief value setup to use a brass and o-ring seal between the water tank and the original turbotom's an pressure relief fitting since the AN fitting tom had would not always seal. I can give you all the specs for the water system, but it has been reliable since i added it to the car in 07. I have readings in the 13's on the wideband cruising on primaries and have 12.5 A/F under 12-15 lbs of boost. My setup will probably be rich on your car since i have a 3 liter with a p90 head. I spent the first 2-3 years i had the car getting it dialed so i am sure we can get yours close. FI will ultimately make you more power, but the original system does work....i drive my daughter to daycare in it and also can run driver ed events. As far as power goes i am have not dyno'ed mine, but i know that at 12 lbs it pulls hard! The previous owner would run 20 psi on race fuel and claimed 400 hp at the wheels without the NOS. I belive it since he and Tom were close friends and tom did all the work on the car until i bought it. I know it will walk away from a cayman s in 3 and 4th gears. It is also much quicker than my track car that is a 2200 lb (330 lbs lighter than my turbo car) 280z with somewhere around 200 hp at the wheels (.040 l28 with 13:1 compression E88 head). If you are serious about FI I also have some FI turbotom's parts that came with my car when i bought it as well as the non-EGR FI setup off a '76 as a starting intake. Did Geez convert his over recently? If I can help you out just let me know. Best wishes with to you and your expanding family

My car has been at geez shop. I have Dyno sheets from the car. I am at the hospital burning time before my wife delivers our daughter. I will get with you for sure once things settle down here. I have faith in the card setup. It was built to the 9's by the previous owner to show what he could do to potential clients. I have find of different jets. I did add method to the water tank, and per tom's advise up the jets for the valve. Any way..... I know I should be faster with working out the kinks. Thank you for the support. I posted all of my old paperwork up in the turbo forum. Check it out for,a good laugh.