HybridZ
texis30O

Texas Turbo Tom 240 to LS2/T56/Magnacharger build

texis30O    26

I got a LS3 with all accessories, pedal, wiring harness, ECU, shipped to me for 2850.00  It has 90000 on the clock.  I am pulling the heads and replacing all gaskets, water pump, and a few things for he heads.  I figured that I would be going through the motor anyway. PM me and I can give you the guy's info. 

Domzs    9

Vroom vroom...... I wonder if it will fit under the hood....... slow going at it but at least this gets me a chance to clean up the chasis in preparation for the frame rails.....

Here is a pic so you guys know this is real.....

254yq3c.jpg

Nope . Looks awesome . I was going to do the same with my ZX , but going 6.0 turbo instead . Got an LQ4 longblock last month and already bought a set of LS3 heads , intake , 102mm throttle , and T76mm turbo . Trying to gather all forged components for the block .

Looking forward to see your HP number . :-D

SUNNY Z    12

It has 90000 on the clock.  I am pulling the heads and replacing all gaskets, water pump, and a few things for he heads.  I figured that I would be going through the motor anyway....

why would you rebuild a perfectly good running motor at 90K?

This aint your dad's SBC.  :icon45:

That blower will be a squeeze! You must hate traction to go with something that torquey!

Edited by SUNNY Z

texis30O    26

I did not know the history of the motor.  I needed to do a service on it, I  was changing out the cam, and figured that I would feel a whole lot better about the the motor if it was checked out. Rather than putting it in and having not any insurance of good gaskets.   I know that this is not "my dad's SBC" but I would be pissed if I shoe horned that thing in the car and it went "pop"

I am looking at 285, or larger tires to help out with traction.  There is another Z that is in the family that I need to keep up with or beat....... That car and driver happen to be building a very nice car....... 

As far as the hood......I guess I can go with a cowl but would prefer not to have to.  My other option is the Datsun competition hood scoop....

rags    138

I think you will find the 1900 blower will need to work pretty hard to fill the LS3 with anything more than 5 lbs of boost and will heat soak. We used a 2300 on a bone stock LS2 and run 6 lbs and can heat her up pretty good. If you are just going to drag race the car, you shouldn't have a problem.

One more thing, since you are opening the motor anyway, I'd change the cam to something more boost friendly than a stock grind. That will really allow you to make some power!

Traction shouldn't be as big an issue as you would think with a properly set up suspension and sticky tires. We're using 255 Toyo 888's and although you can spin them if you want, most of the power can be used for go!

Also, fits under the hood just fine once you remove the hood latch. :)

Joe

SUNNY Z    12

Not resistant at all. It's just easier to use a "kit" instead of making mounting brackets and piping for a centrifugal.

Joe

99% sure an off the shelf vette or F body kit would work. For sure would work with stocked parts

if you pieced one together.

wfritts911    4

Didn't realize you had a thread hiding over here in the S30 section, I rarely come over here, too busy hiding in the LSx section. That super charger looks like its ready to kill my axle setup :( You really should have decided to go auto, then it would have been more than strong enough lol.

I'll hopefully be racing next weekend. Once my coil over parts come in Friday, take a short trip up to school, machine some things, and hopefully have it on the ground this weekend if everything goes as planned.

Have you decided if you're going to flare the car yet? 315s sure look good!

-Will

texis30O    26

The car is going to get flares.  BAMF flares are in order for sure.  I just want to be sure I can keep it on the road.  I will be working on the chasis tomorrow cleaning things up for the new frame rails and dog legs.  Not only do I have to keep from breaking the axle set up but also keep it from twisting.......

texis30O    26

I have the motor out now as of yesterday.  Call me a puss but I just don't have time to wrench on the car running 2 business, keeping the wife happy, raising 2 kids, and traveling all over the country........ I have to bring the car to a shop to have them put it all together.  I don't have the skills myself to complete this build the the quality that I expect.  I would do nothing but piss myself off as I am not educated in some areas.  So I am turning it over to a shop that will do all that I can't and then I will complete what I can myself. 

3136o7n.jpg

2wcms9d.jpg

I have the longtube headers, and motor mount kit from Hawkins and will be posting up a review, as well as a fitment opinion from myself and my builder. 

I still have to secure the rear diff/axle set up.  I am still leaning towards a Ford 8.8 due to the options readily available. 

My hopes of getting this on the road before the end of the year are not realistic....... but it will be driving......in 2014

texis30O    26

Well all of my parts are in.  (short of a new set of wheels and tires, and flares)

The Ford 8.8 swap parts that were ordered are all at the shop and ready to be installed.  PowerFab is finishing up another LS swap infront of mine.  They should start the assembly and have it on the ground by Mid July. 

We decided to swap out the valve covers and coil packs to something aftermarket to allow easier access to the fuel injectors and fuel system. 

I have the rear diff off getting a LSD unit installed with the original 3.55 gear in it so I will have decent RPM at highway speeds.  Should make for fun highway pulls against the big boys......

texis30O    26

I have the following parts stash:

6 piston Wilwood calipers, with 12.2" rotors, front

4 piston Wilwood calipers with 12.2" rotors, rear

On order CCW Classics fully swissed

17x10 front, 275/40/17

17x11.5 rear, 315/35/17

I will have them in 5 weeks, Gloss Black

Full coilover suspension with Koni adjustables on all corners

Ford 8.8 with a fresh LSD unit, 3.55 gear

Fritz Fitz Ford 8.8 rear conversion

Speedhut gauges, white faces

Ram Clutch, with a lightened Billet flywheel

Hawks Long Tube 304 Stainless Steel headers

Hawks emgine mount kit

All waiting to be put in the car........ PowerFab has the car and they are currently doing build up.

Edited by texis30O