HybridZ
30 ounce

Spray bar MIA

30 ounce    1

Adlusting my valves today I noticed the spray bar was missing the piece that oils #6 valves. There doesn't seem to be any damage but where could it have gone? Could it possibly fit down the rear oil return? Does anyone know where I can get a new one?

post-11707-023194700 1317501707_thumb.jpg

Leon    35

If you can't find it, it's in your oil pan. That's where I found mine once...

Don't know if new ones are available. I'm guessing you have the earlier oil bar, which is more prone to breakage. Find a used later spray bar and you'll be fine.

Tony D    143

Quixotically you can look for it, but accept the fact that it didn't disintegrate, it went down that back oil drain!

No biggie, save for the damage possibly done to the cam lobe.

They're cheap enough new...or you can buy the anodized billet ones now available.

Tony D    143

SEE SEE SEE! It's not a secret, somebody else knows about it!

:P

Stock Bars are in Japan, you have to find either a stocking dealership or the right parts counter guy to order them. The amount of stuff that Nissan USA chose to write off the books, and subsequently 'OBSOLETE' (and subsequently register as 'NLA' when checked on their regional system) is sickening. The stuff I've been told is NLA amazingly is still something many enthusiasts in Japan can get any day of the week through their local dealer! :angry:

30 ounce    1

Looks good! What sort of advantages is it supposed to have over the stock piece (besides not winding up in the oil pan). What did it end up running you?

The stock spray bar is flimsy (at least mine was). The tubes are press fitted in and wobble around in their fittings. Larry told me that it is common for the ends to pop off if you track the car and are constantly around 7000 rpm's...which I do (and did). This will never have that happen because it's a single billet. Performance advantage? None. Piece of mind...priceless. It was $150.

Edited by 30 ounce

Tony D    143

While not technically a performanc advantage, the gun drilled oil passage is open at both ends to allow for cleaning during freshening.

Also, experimenters can affix real spray nozzles to the bar relatively easily...so you have say, a 15degree spray directed across the face of your lobe and not just a hosing pointed there.

For the guy with the dribbling bar you could also fix small tubes to direct the oil RIGHT where you want it to go...

Mine is Blue...

rayaapp2    3

Right on... 3 oil bars and 2 cams later.

Ordered up one of these from Larry. I should have it in my hands mid next week.

Ill post my install for you guys since its not technically a bolt on. There are some clearance issues with the valve cover, but nothing a small amount of grinding wont fix and its totally worth it if in fact this solves my oiling issues.

30 ounce    1

You will need to notch the 3 web ribs along the bolt holes inside the valve cover like this. The spray bar is pretty straight foward. Also I ran mine through the dishwasher while the wife was away to clean ALL the metal dust left from the grinding. Actually I cut mine with a Dremel.

post-11707-087492500 1319334532_thumb.jpg

post-11707-094698200 1319334554_thumb.jpg

post-11707-002386400 1319334576_thumb.jpg

Edited by 30 ounce

Tony D    143

Ray/30Oz...if both of you are like me, Larry enthusiastically and in an animated fashion explained the valve cover clearancing when talking about the bar, right?

I picked mine up at the local Z-Club meeting, so I got the full-on "Larry" and think you guys somehow can't imagine the in-person experience over the phone!

:lol:

30 ounce    1

Ray/30Oz...if both of you are like me, Larry enthusiastically and in an animated fashion explained the valve cover clearancing when talking about the bar, right?

I picked mine up at the local Z-Club meeting, so I got the full-on "Larry" and think you guys somehow can't imagine the in-person experience over the phone!

Yes, Larry explained that thoroughly!! And how to wire tie the bolts and the lack of gasgets and...a few things I forgot 'cause I had to get back to work. Cell phones break up...conveniently sometimes.

rayaapp2    3

Yep, Great guy!

Explained in epic detail the process, the engineering, unintended benefits, and the story behind the need. It was a pleasure. He drives a 1200 around as well as builds A12's and he didnt realize the valve stem seals were perfect for his cam lift situation(though he knew off hand that the valve guides where the same diameter). He was/is using Audi valve stem seals, now he knows about the A series seals. He even gave me some info on another place that can fix a few of my wiped cams. Wish I lived closer to ya'll down south so I could hang out and listen in to all the cumulative experience and just learn.

I offered to post up my install, but it looks like you(30 ounce) beat me to the punch lol.

Ray