47 replies to this topic

#21 rayaapp2

rayaapp2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationRoseville Ca 95661

Posted 22 October 2011 - 10:21 AM

Right on... 3 oil bars and 2 cams later.
Ordered up one of these from Larry. I should have it in my hands mid next week.

Ill post my install for you guys since its not technically a bolt on. There are some clearance issues with the valve cover, but nothing a small amount of grinding wont fix and its totally worth it if in fact this solves my oiling issues.
PROVE ME WRONG, I DARE YOU!! Then you're Teaching me for free!
Tony's Noble Truths :
Truth 1 "The more you learn, the more you realize you don't know."
Truth 2 "You don't know half the stuff you think you do, and the rest is questionable."

#22 30 ounce

30 ounce

Always Here

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationMilliiken, CO

Posted 22 October 2011 - 05:49 PM

You will need to notch the 3 web ribs along the bolt holes inside the valve cover like this. The spray bar is pretty straight foward. Also I ran mine through the dishwasher while the wife was away to clean ALL the metal dust left from the grinding. Actually I cut mine with a Dremel.

Attached Files

Edited by 30 ounce, 22 October 2011 - 05:51 PM.

#23 Tony D

Tony D

Wiki D

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9944 posts
  • LocationReno NV & Lucena Quezon, Philippines

Posted 22 October 2011 - 10:59 PM

Ray/30Oz...if both of you are like me, Larry enthusiastically and in an animated fashion explained the valve cover clearancing when talking about the bar, right?

I picked mine up at the local Z-Club meeting, so I got the full-on "Larry" and think you guys somehow can't imagine the in-person experience over the phone!

:lol:
Misanthropic Anthroparion Class 5 Hoarder, aspiring to posthumous fame as my containers are cut open and the market floods with crap I've squirrelled away over the years! I endeavour to persevere...

#24 30 ounce

30 ounce

Always Here

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationMilliiken, CO

Posted 24 October 2011 - 02:54 PM

Ray/30Oz...if both of you are like me, Larry enthusiastically and in an animated fashion explained the valve cover clearancing when talking about the bar, right?

I picked mine up at the local Z-Club meeting, so I got the full-on "Larry" and think you guys somehow can't imagine the in-person experience over the phone!

Yes, Larry explained that thoroughly!! And how to wire tie the bolts and the lack of gasgets and...a few things I forgot 'cause I had to get back to work. Cell phones break up...conveniently sometimes.

#25 rayaapp2

rayaapp2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 05:22 PM

Yep, Great guy!

Explained in epic detail the process, the engineering, unintended benefits, and the story behind the need. It was a pleasure. He drives a 1200 around as well as builds A12's and he didnt realize the valve stem seals were perfect for his cam lift situation(though he knew off hand that the valve guides where the same diameter). He was/is using Audi valve stem seals, now he knows about the A series seals. He even gave me some info on another place that can fix a few of my wiped cams. Wish I lived closer to ya'll down south so I could hang out and listen in to all the cumulative experience and just learn.

I offered to post up my install, but it looks like you(30 ounce) beat me to the punch lol.

Ray
Tony's Noble Truths :
Truth 2 "You don't know half the stuff you think you do, and the rest is questionable."

#26 Tony D

Tony D

Wiki D

• Donating Members
  • 9944 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 06:56 PM

Yeah, his 'customer service' is kind of refreshing compared to some sales/technical support you get!

You never expect to hear "OK, so we f-'d up on this one so what you have to do is..."

:D :lol: :D :P
Misanthropic Anthroparion Class 5 Hoarder, aspiring to posthumous fame as my containers are cut open and the market floods with crap I've squirrelled away over the years! I endeavour to persevere...

#27 josh817

josh817

Mort

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:04 PM

Adlusting my valves today I noticed the spray bar was missing the piece that oils #6 valves. There doesn't seem to be any damage but where could it have gone? Could it possibly fit down the rear oil return? Does anyone know where I can get a new one?

Posted Image
No drop in oil pressure with the big open hole?

You will need to notch the 3 web ribs along the bolt holes inside the valve cover like this. The spray bar is pretty straight foward. Also I ran mine through the dishwasher while the wife was away to clean ALL the metal dust left from the grinding. Actually I cut mine with a Dremel.

Posted Image
I may have to get one or fabricate my own! Maybe try soldering or brazing the connections on the original spray bar to keep it from falling apart...

1972 240Z -- 1971 521 Pickup -- 1968 BMW 2002

#28 johnc

johnc

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9739 posts
  • LocationLa Habra, CA, USA

Posted 26 October 2011 - 09:25 AM

Just call Larry. He likes to have Datsun people to talk to. Occasionally he stops by my shop when he needs a fix. :-)

Posted Image
----- John Coffey, Fabricator at Benton Performance, LLC

#29 rayaapp2

rayaapp2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 06:25 AM

Posted Image
No drop in oil pressure with the big open hole?

Posted Image
I may have to get one or fabricate my own! Maybe try soldering or brazing the connections on the original spray bar to keep it from falling apart...

No drop in pressure thanks to the restrictors in the block passages to the head. Good oil pressure in the bottom where the sender is.
As others said "Just call Larry", and youll save yourself some serious headaches. Valve train harmonics are not fun to deal with. Just ask the SR20 engine builders, most of them know why the valve springs break.
Tony's Noble Truths :

#30 Tony D

Tony D

Wiki D

• Donating Members
  • 9944 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 05:41 PM

Just call Larry. He likes to have Datsun people to talk to. Occasionally he stops by my shop when he needs a fix. :-)

Posted Image

Photo used without Photographer being given credit.... :huh:

Ray tagged the 'no loss in oil pressure issue'---the bottom end didn't see anything. The Cam lost all lubrication...

Damn, the Nissan Engineers knew what they were doing, they put restrictors to prevent a catastrophic failure of the bottom end!!! (Preserves oil pressure down there, giving bearings priority oiling. Most do it...)

#31 josh817

josh817

Mort

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted 27 October 2011 - 07:01 PM

Alright! I admit I forgot about that! :P

Edited by josh817, 27 October 2011 - 07:01 PM.

1972 240Z -- 1971 521 Pickup -- 1968 BMW 2002

#32 24OZ

24OZ

HybridZ Supporter

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:31 PM

Sorry to revive an old thread but I've been trying to contact Larry for one of these bars for the last couple of weeks. His number in this thread no longer works and I've tried emailing him and that's bounced. A friend of mine on this forum has also given it a good go.

Does anyone have a current telephone number for him?

Thanks

#33 skirkland1980

skirkland1980

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • LocationMarietta, GA

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:40 PM

This is a very good thread to read. Should be in the L6 faq.
:1983 280zx turbo, L28ET, custom cam grind, 96 saab 900 intercooler w/2.50" piping, 3" mandrel bent exhaust, megasquirt II v3.57, 540cc injectors, walbro gsl392 255lph fuel pump, aeromotive regulator, -6 supply lines, custom fuel rail, MSD ignition wires, MSD 8202 coil, homemade boost controller, Garrett TC4305 turbo, 70mm throttle body, Godzilla BOV, Turbonetics wastegate, custom intake, custom turbo header, Cooling Mist H2O/meth injection, 20psi boost, all stock body, stock interior and weld draglite wheels, TH350 trans 4000 stall with B&M 'street stick' shifter and hughes trans brake, nitto nt555R drag radials, best 1/8 mile of 7.53@ 98 mph

#34 johnc

johnc

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9739 posts
  • LocationLa Habra, CA, USA

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:17 PM

Larry Hassler can be reached at: larryracer240z@gmail.com or (626) 485-5767.
----- John Coffey, Fabricator at Benton Performance, LLC

#35 Tony D

Tony D

Wiki D

• Donating Members
  • 9944 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:30 PM

Oh, Good. As the old Larryracer at hotmail was DOA...

#36 Oddmanout84

Oddmanout84

Blank

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • LocationMy Garage, Massachusetts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 02:07 PM

I wonder if these are still available... Sure hope so.

#37 ericbauer

ericbauer

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles CA

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:47 PM

Larry is awaiting a new set of spray bars back from the shop - this is as of last week (last week of July 2013)

I know because I've been on the waitlist for about a month.

Shouldn't be much longer now...

Email/call him as instructed above and he'll take care of you...

-e

+ 1968 Nissan Patrol + 1970 Nissan Skyline 2000 GT + 1973 Datsun 240Z +

#38 Josh280z

Josh280z

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:50 AM

I'm looking to get one of these myself, crossing my fingers.

Posted Image

#39 Josh280z

Josh280z

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:20 AM

Anyone have an email for Larry? Gmail address is not working.

EDIT: Mean to say he has not answered his email, does he usually respond within a couple of days or should i just call?

Edited by Josh280z, 17 November 2013 - 07:39 AM.

Posted Image

#40 Joeoski

Joeoski

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationPortola CA , 96122

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:04 AM

I msg emails never got a response i was just wondering on prices.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users