HybridZ

84 for svo engine swap??

warrenp

i have been toying with the idea for year about puttin a 302 in to my 86 3z1. i'm naturally a chevy guy but i think the 302 would fit better.

yesterday a friend of mine offered me a complete 84 ford svo 2.3L head has been re work with mild cam, but has nto been run in a few years. the car needs alot of help from sitting.

whats do you guys think of a 2.3L svo swap in to my z31? he wants 600 for the whole car. i was thinking of keeping the drive train. and maybe i could get my money back from the parts??

1984 SVO 175 hp (130 kW) @ 4400 rpm 210 lb·ft (280 N·m) @ 3000 rpm

In 300ZX form, it produced 160 hp (120 kW) and 173 lb·ft (235 N·m)

Those are just some stock numbers off of Wikipedia, I'm not sure I'd want to go through the bother myself, for a high revving relatively small engine, that doesn't leave you with much better than stock. It would be neat though, as four cylinder US motor swaps are pretty rare!

Edited by yellowoctupus

I am a huge Ford 2.3 fan and am in the process of putting one in my 240z. The 2.3 can reach higher horses than a 302 straight up. The 2.3 is built with all forged internals and is fully capable of doing 33lbs of boost stock. I know what i am talking about and have been around the 2.3's for awhile. as long as you have the T3/T4 turbo, your set. i have seen 2.3's with 1200 hp with a stock bottom end! You should choose the the 2.3.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i didn't realize i had responses here.

all the info is good to know.

the car is rusted out. if it was worth fixing i would probably do that instead.

i did just buy a 02 cadillac with a northstar v8. i think it's a 4.6L??

i bought the car for scrap. but the engine runs well.

given that the SVO, has a good complete drivetrain, it has a performance cam in it and has has head work done. also it's already rear wheel drive!

it may be the better swap. the guy wants $600 for it, it's out behind his garage, so i doubt it's been sold on me. lol it's been there for a few years.

i'm thinking also an other deciding factor, "IF" i do the svo swap. and i don't like the engine, i can probably swap out for a 5.0L with out to much difficulty.