HybridZ

Got a new 240z today, and an introduction

My name is Andre, I've been on here for a while but never posted much. I've had a few 240z's in the past that have come and gone

just picked this up today:

myz.jpg

late model '71.

I brought it to my shop today (it's been in storage about 30 minutes away for years). my dad and uncle bought it as a rolling chassis a few years ago and got a supposedly built n/a L28 and 5 speed for it. My uncle was spread thin and lost interest and my dad doesn't really have time nor interest (they have a 73 and 71 respectively in addition to other stuff). I have to finish the wiring, sort some things out, weld some patches in the floors (possibly give charlie at zedd findings a call if the floors are that bad, is he still around)? Needs a lot, bushings, brakes, body is beat but that will be at the end of the list

I haven't had a 240 for almost 4 years now. I've had e30 BMW's for about the past 8 years, which led to a business (I was in Norfolk, VA at the time). A friend and I started an LLC swapping s5x's into e30's in addition to rebuilding wrecked motorcycles. Moved back to my home city (Buffalo, NY) about a year ago, business changed focus and is now an auto dealer specializing in alternative energy, green, and european motor vehicles.

anyway, here is an obdI s52 we did for a customer, also installed h&r sports and bilstein sports:

IMG_1586.jpg

85f779b4.jpg

this was my personal car, e30 touring with euro s50 (276hp) e36 m3/m coupe 5lug, 3.25 lsd, etc etc. My dad's '71 in the background:

9fdb07cf.jpg

my business partner's personal car, he had an s50 with 3.15's

IMG_0741.jpg

unfortunately we've sold both of our e30's since. When my business gets some momentum I'd like to find an e30m3 with a blown motor, I have a spare s62 in my shop...

'83 gti, for sale actually. 1.8L with 10.0 pistons, p&p head, urethane bushings, happich pop outs, etc pm me if interested

afa0dba0.jpg

Edited by Floorless240z

heh, yeah. I got a look at the rust yesterday, most of the rust is on the passenger's side under the seat, with one smallish hole on the driver's side in the same location. Need to get some dry ice and tare up the insulation on the frontward part of the floorboards to see where that's really at as well

• 4 years later...

Finally got started on this project. I'd pulled the a/c and cracked dash when I first got the car. Recently I've bought all the coolant hoses (and hard line behind the head) and put them in, freed up the heater valve, did the GM HEI setup since the distributor has an electronic pickup. 

63122400-E352-4CA9-B10F-E0BB8A97C02C_zps

Next up is fuel: the L28 already has the block off plate where the mechanical fuel pump was on the motor. Now I need to find an electric fuel pump. I saw somewhere that 72+ may already have wires at the tank, and there's also a factory bracket for a pump that can be purchased?

Is there a method of searching I'm missing?

I'm surprised this site doesn't have more *pinned posts*. When looking for a writeup for a task, it's often difficult to find and buried in searching. Forums I've used in the past will usually have a collection of write-ups for each category. Is any such collection available here?

*edit: I almost forgot- turns out the car is a 73. I haven't put it on the lift to see if it has the factory electric fuel pump in back, but if so I believe that pump only gets power at startup and it will need to run when the key is on. Looking for advice on what pump to run since there's no mechanical pump, how to wire it, and what fpr to use. Thanks in advance for any info

Edited by Floorless240z