HybridZ

VG30E timing/computer issue

Jehannum

I'm helping a friend with the VG in his Z31. He's done a basic NA build, and is running it on the stock EFI.

The issue is this: when we set the distributor correctly (rotor pointing to cylinder 1 at TDC), it won't start. When we set it two teeth off, it runs (points roughly to cylinder 5), but according to the timing light, it's about 60° advanced.

Now, I'm judging TDC by the marks on the crank. Is it possible that he's put the crank pulley on incorrectly? IIRC, they're keyed, and there's a keyed washer behind it as well. It's (the pulley) torqued correctly, so it shouldn't be wandering, even if the woodruff key is gone.

I'm at wit's end with this POS. Any ideas?

Okay, what you do is set the engine to TDC where cylinder #1 is on it's compression stroke after this you pull the distributor and set it so it's point at the fuel pressure regulator. That should be the correct timing order, unless he missed a tooth or something on timing belt.

EDIT: I forgot to mention make sure the cams are also in alignment with the crank.

Edited by New 2 z

Okay, what you do is set the engine to TDC where cylinder #1 is on it's compression stroke after this you pull the distributor and set it so it's point at the fuel pressure regulator. That should be the correct timing order, unless he missed a tooth or something on timing belt.

EDIT: I forgot to mention make sure the cams are also in alignment with the crank.

I know what TDC is, and we visually verified that the cams are setup right in relation to when the crank says it's at TDC.

When the distributor is set the right way, pointing at cylinder 1, it won't fire at all when we try to turn it over.

Edited by Jehannum

• 5 weeks later...

Follow up: The distributor was stabbed correctly, based on the marks on the balancer. The marks on the balancer were wrong.

He'd taken the balancer apart to paint the pulleys, and did not reassemble it correctly. Since he had the 3 piece balancer, it was possible to get the timing marks misaligned in increments of (you guessed it!) 60 degrees. I sat it next to a known good one, and the keyway to timing mark relationship was off. I corrected it, and how he's running happily at 20 btdc.

Do you have pics of this crank pulley? Never heard of that.

I don't have any pics.

The basic arrangement should be the same on any Z31 pulley, though.

Of the 3 rows, the rear two are one piece, and the power steering pulley is another (bolted on the front). The bolts go through the PS pulley, through the alt/AC pulley, into the harmonic balancer. The balancer holds the keyway, and the alt/AC pulley holds the timing marks. Since the double row pulley isn't keyed to the balancer in any way, if you take it apart, make sure to reassemble with the timing marks starting right over the top of the keyway (spaced clockwise away from it).

I've heard talk of two and three piece pulleys, but I've only ever seen the three piece unit. Car is an '84 NA, and the reference pulley I used came off of (I think) an '86 (two V-belt, one serp for the alternator).